NCPA sues NCAA and PAC12

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Because their draft pool of players is about to start declining. Isn't that what y'all are worried about for CFB? The product is about to decline cause players are too greedy? If that's not it than why does anyone else give a 17? Not like it's their money that the players are asking for.
Not me. I don’t give a ****. Labor Day weekend my tv will be on Gameday at 8:00 am. Smoker going. Drink in hand. In the pool. I am not going to freak out at every piece of news about the end of college football that comes through. I can’t do anything about it. So why am I going to chicken little and proclaim that I am out on college athletics on A COLLEGE ATHLETICS MESSAGE BOARD.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
I've wondered for many years why the veneer of "student athlete" wasn't just dispensed with and move to basically a semi-pro or minor league type arrangement of some kind. "Student athlete" has been a fiction at the D1 level for decades.

"Veneer" is a great word choice here. But even though it's almost a mirage these days, it's still important to me. I love Mississippi State football because I love Mississippi State University. It matters to me that at least a few of the players are having something like the college experience I had. It matters to me that at least some of them, as little boys, grew up pretending to be Anthony Dixon or Dak Prescott. Yes, that's pretty much gone in these days of unlimited transfers and NILs. But the more mercenary college football becomes, the less I care about it.

I watch the NFL, but I don't spend thousands of dollars a year on it and don't schedule my life around my team's home games the way I do MSU. I'll probably always watch MSU football, but as the college game becomes more NFL-like, I'll invest less money, time and emotional energy in it.

P.S. Not to re-start this argument again, but I think this is why it bothers me when Fletcher Cox and other NFL stars don't claim MSU in their intro videos. I'd like to think these guys love Mississippi State as much as I do, but this is a frequent reminder that college is simply a business decision for a lot of these guys.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login