Need to blowup baseball program. Now is the time.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
How many 6+ run leads have we blown in the past two years. I count 4. Tulane and Missouri (I think) in 2022. VMI and Auburn (almost twice in two days) this year. How does this continue to be allowed at a "blue blood"?

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
Quit giving resources to it. The future of our athletics is Zach Arnett and Chris Jans. Give those guys the NIL money and the facilities and everyone else is secondary.
Don't know about Arnett yet, but we have one of the best basketball coaches in the country in Jans. You witnessed last year what he did with minimal talent. We need to be all in with men's hoop right now while we still have him. That guy can flat out coach.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
No future with this staff.
I’m still on the fence about sLem remaining, but there is no way Foxhall should survive.

We choked away the last series we could have likely won. Going forward, it’s gonna get brutal. We might have a shot against Aggy…. Who knows.

The last thing our program can afford to do is to squeak into the NCAAs. We probably won’t, but giving any justification to not canning Foxhall (at the very least) is going to just bury us even further.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Too many people blaming foxhall. Lemonis calls all these shots.

also why is it only foxhall? The defense has been equally as bad. Who’s in charge of that?

firing foxhall and keeping the rest of the staff in tact isn’t the answer I can assure you.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It doesn't continue if we can't get some decent pitchers. These guys can hit but no lead is save with our pitching

The pitching has been terrible often this year, but the truth is pitching lost one game and hitting the other. A little better in either game and we win the series.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We are short in a few more areas of this team than the biggies (Pitching and Hitting).

We are so short on swagger that it is not funny.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How can anyone still be on the fence about Lemonis? He should have fired Foxhall last year, but he didn't. And it's not like pitching is the only problem this team has anyway. This **** is 100% on Lemonis.
Normal people are not on the fence. They are on the side of not even considering firing Lemonis until at least after 2024.

Every opinion you’ve ever had on MSU baseball has been wrong.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Normal people are not on the fence. They are on the side of not even considering firing Lemonis until at least after 2024.

while I agree he deserves another year. The grumblings are getting louder and I’d say there are a lot more normal people on the fence.

that said, I do think he’s back, but I also think if there is a collapse like last season down the stretch he’s done.

to me it’s simple, he makes hoover, he’s probably back another season. He misses hoover he’s done. I would almost guarantee the second part of that message

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
The pitching has been terrible often this year, but the truth is pitching lost one game and hitting the other. A little better in either game and we win the series.
For this series, that’s probably fair. When you look at our 17 losses throughout the season, however, I’m only finding 4 that we can pin on hitting at the most.

In the other 13 that pitching lost us, we gave up an average of 14 runs/gm which is just depressing

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I thought last year was awful. We have a worse SEC record this year at the same point. This coaching staff has done a poor job across the board, poor fundamentals, poor 2 strike hitting approach, poor pitch placement. etc.

Unless they turn it around which will be very difficult with our schedule, they all need to go.

Reactions: thekimmer
Aug 29, 2004
mozilla firefox GIF by Sarah Schmidt

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
No future with this staff.
I do sadly agree. We were able to right the ship at the plate but the management of pitching has been beyond abysmal these past two seasons. Injuries everywhere you turn, can't throw strikes, regression instead of progression. We even saw it in our CWS championship year with Macleod.

The decision yesterday to put Yntema in the game was beyond belief. That one ultimately cost us just one run but also likely our best arm for this season and the next but probably for good.

It all must fall on leadership. As I have said since this season started, if we do not make the NCAAT Lem should be let go. Foxhall's fate should have been sealed a month ago.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
He’s 100% correct. The past, present, and future of msu athletics is financed by football. And Jans is our best coach on campus. College baseball is a club sport.
Both he and you are 100% wrong. Baseball is not a club sport of course, which you obviously know, but continuing to make that ridiculous claim just demonstrates your bias. MSU fans love baseball. Everybody has their opinions but yours is the distinct minority.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

Please articulate any reasons other than we won our first natty with him for keeping him on?

patdog

May 28, 2007
The decision yesterday to put Yntema in the game was beyond belief. That one ultimately cost us just one run but also likely our best arm for this season and the next but probably for good.
Cost us our best arm? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm seriously asking a question. I don't know what happened yesterday other than we lost a huge lead and lost the game in the 9th.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Too many people blaming foxhall. Lemonis calls all these shots.

also why is it only foxhall? The defense has been equally as bad. Who’s in charge of that?

firing foxhall and keeping the rest of the staff in tact isn’t the answer I can assure you.
Pitching is the root of all of it. Bad pitching also impacts the defense.

Foxhall is the problem. But I don't let Lemonis off the hook because he's the one who keeps him around.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
Not sure if Dohm is our best arm, but he got hit pretty good in relief and probably shouldn’t have been pitching since he threw 41 on Friday night. He grabbed his elbow after 1 pitch on a batter, don’t want to speculate on the injury but it didn’t look good. Could be season ending and possibly next.

Reactions: HuntDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not sure if Dohm is our best arm, but he got hit pretty good in relief and probably shouldn’t have been pitching since he threw 41 on Friday night. He grabbed his elbow after 1 pitch on a batter, don’t want to speculate on the injury but it didn’t look good. Could be season ending and possibly next.
Damn! The bad news just keeps on coming.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Does anyone genuinely think that things will get better if we keep him and get a new pitching coach or do people say he should get another year just to be nice bc he won a natty and we feel like that’s the right thing to do?

These next 4 weeks are going to be brutal. We just played 3 of the worst teams in the conference. That breather is over.

Reactions: HuntDawg and patdog

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Quit giving resources to it. The future of our athletics is Zach Arnett and Chris Jans. Give those guys the NIL money and the facilities and everyone else is secondary.
What a bad take. Baseball is still the only sport we have a realistic chance of consistently competing in nationally. I love MSU football and basketball but we will never be a national program in those sports no matter what we do. We don't have the fan base, resources and tradition in either of those to ever really compete at the highest levels and never will. Even with the playoffs expanding to 12 teams in football, how many times in the last 40 years have we finished in the Top 12? Maybe twice? And basketball is not something we are going to get top recruits in either or compete for championships but we could at least get in the tourney more regularly. NIL will just make us fall further behind in those sports though because we don't have the deep pockets most of the rest of the SEC have or the number of boosters who are willing to fork out money on a bunch of teenagers. Baseball is still about trying to win a championship, football and basketball are about making a better bowl game and just making the NCAA tournament.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The Mississippi State of Mind- move slowly.
Problem is, with NIL and the portal, we can't do that anymore. Got to clear house and move forward.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Cost us our best arm? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm seriously asking a question. I don't know what happened yesterday other than we lost a huge lead and lost the game in the 9th.
Nate Dohm left the game in the 8th with a significant elbow injury that looked like a probable UCL rupture.

• Sad

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
What a bad take. Baseball is still the only sport we have a realistic chance of consistently competing in nationally. I love MSU football and basketball but we will never be a national program in those sports no matter what we do. We don't have the fan base, resources and tradition in either of those to ever really compete at the highest levels and never will. Even with the playoffs expanding to 12 teams in football, how many times in the last 40 years have we finished in the Top 12? Maybe twice? And basketball is not something we are going to get top recruits in either or compete for championships but we could at least get in the tourney more regularly. NIL will just make us fall further behind in those sports though because we don't have the deep pockets most of the rest of the SEC have or the number of boosters who are willing to fork out money on a bunch of teenagers. Baseball is still about trying to win a championship, football and basketball are about making a better bowl game and just making the NCAA tournament.
FAU and San Diego State just played each other in the final 4. 5 years ago we played in back to back women’s basketball championships. We can compete in basketball but we would rather put our money and commitment in a sport that is objectively not as important at a national level

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Both he and you are 100% wrong. Baseball is not a club sport of course, which you obviously know, but continuing to make that ridiculous claim just demonstrates your bias. MSU fans love baseball. Everybody has their opinions but yours is the distinct minority.
Look at things without MSU glasses on. Just because our fan base values it over basketball doesn’t mean it’s more important

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Nationally, no. Baseball is not more important than basketball. Not even close. But at Mississippi State, baseball is more important. It just is.

Depends on how you measure importance. We draw better crowds for baseball but make more money off men’s basketball.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
With NIL, basketball success will be even harder. Because a single player can make such a difference teams are throwing Tons of money after kids and there are more teams in the mix so the cost is huge. And its all worth nothing if you don’t make the Sweet 16 which we have done twice in the modern era.

Give me the sport where we can win a natty and have a phenomenal fan experience all day.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Look at things without MSU glasses on. Just because our fan base values it over basketball doesn’t mean it’s more important
Important to whom? So what's popular in the rest of the country is the measuring stick we should use to decide what is important to us? Sorry, I don't choose what I like based on a popularity contest.

The popularity of MSU baseball was organically built over time. It wasn't some construct based on a poll of the USA.

I'm sorry you're a rare MSU fan that doesn't like baseball. Must suck to be you.

Reactions: Dawgg

patdog

May 28, 2007
You're just now seeing this? How do you have such strong opinions on the baseball team when you don't even watch the games?
When I left for my tennis match, we were up 7-0. When I walked off the court, I was told we just lost the game in the bottom of the 9th. I didn't feel much like watching that implosion. Other than the injury, I've seen it too often before.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login