Need to blowup baseball program. Now is the time.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
We won the NCAA's last legit non-NIL national title. They'll never take that away from us.

so now, just burn the Mother 17er down!

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Important to whom? So what's popular in the rest of the country is the measuring stick we should use to decide what is important to us? Sorry, I don't choose what I like based on a popularity contest.

The popularity of MSU baseball was organically built over time. It wasn't some construct based on a poll of the USA.

I'm sorry you're a rare MSU fan that doesn't like baseball. Must suck to be you.
Basketball offers the university more revenue and brand recognition than baseball
Players in the nba > players in mlb
1 final 4 appearance = 5 CWS appearances with no titles
This is why basketball is more important

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
What a bad take. Baseball is still the only sport we have a realistic chance of consistently competing in nationally. I love MSU football and basketball but we will never be a national program in those sports no matter what we do. We don't have the fan base, resources and tradition in either of those to ever really compete at the highest levels and never will. Even with the playoffs expanding to 12 teams in football, how many times in the last 40 years have we finished in the Top 12? Maybe twice? And basketball is not something we are going to get top recruits in either or compete for championships but we could at least get in the tourney more regularly. NIL will just make us fall further behind in those sports though because we don't have the deep pockets most of the rest of the SEC have or the number of boosters who are willing to fork out money on a bunch of teenagers. Baseball is still about trying to win a championship, football and basketball are about making a better bowl game and just making the NCAA tournament.
This reply to me should be pinned. 1000% agree. Baseball will be the only sport we can make a run at a natty.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Basketball offers the university more revenue and brand recognition than baseball
Players in the nba > players in mlb
1 final 4 appearance = 5 CWS appearances with no titles
This is why basketball is more important
The importance of something is relative and not always based on money. Even if it were we will never get rich off of basketball.

Incidentally, I watch MLB all the time but I can't tell you the last time I watched an NBA game.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Pitching is the root of all of it. Bad pitching also impacts the defense.

Foxhall is the problem. But I don't let Lemonis off the hook because he's the one who keeps him around.
This is correct but when did you want him to actually pull the trigger? You can't really do it until after the season, that's really the first legitimate chance. Couldn't do it last year.

One thing that concerns me is that you'll likely see a couple freshman pitchers jump in the portal as soon as it happens. And I also wonder if anyone will actually take the job at that point. May as well just let him ride with Lemonis and get rid of them both if it comes to that.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Even if it were we will never get rich off of basketball.
"Poor ole Mississippi State. We've never been good at basketball and never will so there's no reason to try. No don't look at Auburn or Texas A&M or Texas Tech they're different because they don't have baseball."

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Guys, we are poorly coached and lack talent too. We've had two recent classes that were damn near complete busts. We don't know how to adjust at the plate. We don't play defense worth a crap. We've got three guys starting that are like .230 or below. It's a **** show. But we won't do anything but change pitching coach.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
"Poor ole Mississippi State. We've never been good at basketball and never will so there's no reason to try. No don't look at Auburn or Texas A&M or Texas Tech they're different because they don't have baseball."
Your original take about not being all-in on baseball was a dumb one. But I agree with you on basketball. We can be good there and compete.

Another poster said basketball NIL was too expensive. I don't agree with that either. Probably higher per player, but not higher overall. Takes less players to compete in basketball.

And there's not that many programs throwing around NIL on baseball, so let's not act like that will be a big problem. Sure, LSU is, but they've always had better players than everybody else.

The key here is to have a solid plan of recruiting attack for both football and basketball, to maximize strengths and minimize weaknesses. And you could say this for baseball too, as I'm not sure Lemonis strategy is the best one (although I'm willing to give it a few more years to know for sure).

Reactions: Dawgg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Our baseball and basketball NIL is pretty solid. Basketball is not KY or KS level by any stretch, but it's solid. Baseball is more than solid. It's good. Which is why this **** show we've got has to end.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Lemonis will be back next season. He will try to recruit and use the portal again to improve the weak links in our program. There are some strange things going on though. Lane Forsythe had 2 errors all season last year. He was up to 12 before he was replace by Mershon. Why are players getting worse? Why are pitchers not getting better? Why are we not hitting with players on 3rd????

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
This is correct but when did you want him to actually pull the trigger? You can't really do it until after the season, that's really the first legitimate chance. Couldn't do it last year.

One thing that concerns me is that you'll likely see a couple freshman pitchers jump in the portal as soon as it happens. And I also wonder if anyone will actually take the job at that point. May as well just let him ride with Lemonis and get rid of them both if it comes to that.
It's already a done deal that we will have some pitchers leaving.

As far as when you do it....and I'd say this about any coach in any sport at any time: I'd suspect that they would wait until the end of the season, but in my opinion, when you know you know, and the sooner you rip off the band aid, the better it is for everyone.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
The importance of something is relative and not always based on money. Even if it were we will never get rich off of basketball.

Incidentally, I watch MLB all the time but I can't tell you the last time I watched an NBA game.
That's me. I'm football, baseball and then basketball. I'm just not a big fan of today's basketball and don't enjoy watching it that much. Nobody is denying its a higher revenue sport and the university would get more coverage from basketball success than baseball success simply because more TV viewers want to see it. The only way college baseball would be made truly popular is if MLB didn't have a minor league system and all the best were in college like they are in basketball and football but that will never be. Football and basketball would suffer greatly too if the best players never went through college. But like you mentioned, I haven't watched an NBA game in a long, long time, and really only watch SEC basketball when MSU is competitive. I do like what Jans is doing so I'm hoping to get more into basketball while he is our coach.

Reactions: Dawgg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He’s 100% correct. The past, present, and future of msu athletics is financed by football. And Jans is our best coach on campus. College baseball is a club sport.

And we’re going to get the same or more financing from football as we are now even if we go 0-12 every damn year, so long as we continue to field a team and continue to be SEC members. So yes, it was a stupid take.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And we’re going to get the same or more financing from football as we are now even if we go 0-12 every damn year, so long as we continue to field a team and continue to be SEC members. So yes, it was a stupid take.
Agreed. It’s a harsh truth to face for so many. We almost don’t even need to invest in football, as the SEC is doing that for us. The fact that SEC money doubles our budget or whatever tells me all I need to know.

That’s why we need to either innovate in football, or just take our beatings. Basketball and baseball is where we try and win championships.

I used to think that we shouldn’t mess with basketball bc so many Mississippians would rather be hunting in the winter. But bottom line we have some boosters that care about it.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Trying to parse which part of this is supposed to be sarcastic. Are you comparing Mississippi State's athletic department to Auburn, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech?

SchoolEndowmentAD SpendNational Champs
Auburn$1.05 Billion$151 Million22: 8 MSWM, 5 WSWM, 1 T&F, 2 FB, 6 EQ
Texas A&M$18 Billion$177 Million19: MG, 9 T&F, WBK, 3 SB, 2 EQ, 3 FB
Texas Tech$1.7 Billion$105 Million2: WBK, T&F
Mississippi State$698 Million$104 Million1: Baseball

And that's not even counting the disparity in Booster and NIL giving. Even with those advantages, A&M and Auburn combined have a total of 1 FB National Championships since 1957 and 0 MBK Championships. A&M does have 1 WBK Championship in 2011, which is really what put Vic on our radar as a head coach candidate.

Also, Texas Tech is a curious inclusion since they're not in the SEC and nowhere near the level of A&M and Auburn budget-wise. Just to make sure I'm not missing anything... Texas Tech has won two national championships in something other than meat judging: 2019 Men's Outdoor Track and Field and 1993 Women's Basketball (largely because they had Sheryl Swoopes). I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
"Need to blow up baseball program" SouthFarmchicken

Yeah, "blow up" a program that sells out EVERY premium seat available for how many years in a row now and has a waiting list for more? Blow up a program that gets $2grand a year from each of 88 outfield lounges available? Blow up a program that leases all 12 Lofts a year and has plans to build 12 more? Blow up a program that re-set a National attendance record last weekend?

We can fire the coach, I've got no problems w/ that but if you believe the above paragraph you are even more ignorant than I thought.

Reactions: Dawgg and thekimmer

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Trying to parse which part of this is supposed to be sarcastic. Are you comparing Mississippi State's athletic department to Auburn, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech?

SchoolEndowmentAD SpendNational Champs
Auburn$1.05 Billion$151 Million22: 8 MSWM, 5 WSWM, 1 T&F, 2 FB, 6 EQ
Texas A&M$18 Billion$177 Million19: MG, 9 T&F, WBK, 3 SB, 2 EQ, 3 FB
Texas Tech$1.7 Billion$105 Million2: WBK, T&F
Mississippi State$698 Million$104 Million1: Baseball

And that's not even counting the disparity in Booster and NIL giving. Even with those advantages, A&M and Auburn combined have a total of 1 FB National Championships since 1957 and 0 MBK Championships. A&M does have 1 WBK Championship in 2011, which is really what put Vic on our radar as a head coach candidate.

Also, Texas Tech is a curious inclusion since they're not in the SEC and nowhere near the level of A&M and Auburn budget-wise. Just to make sure I'm not missing anything... Texas Tech has won two national championships in something other than meat judging: 2019 Men's Outdoor Track and Field and 1993 Women's Basketball (largely because they had Sheryl Swoopes). I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here.
As in none of those schools have any history or traditionally any fan support in basketball yet they all have been to at least a sweet 16 in the last 5 years and Auburn and Tech have been to a final 4. Oh, and they all have been to the CWS in that same time frame. Why can these schools have success in both basketball and baseball but we can't?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
As in none of those schools have any history or traditionally any fan support in basketball yet they all have been to at least a sweet 16 in the last 5 years and Auburn and Tech have been to a final 4. Oh, and they all have been to the CWS in that same time frame. Why can these schools have success in both basketball and baseball but we can't?

Ok, so I'm having difficulty understanding your point. I promise I'm not trying to be purposefully obtuse. On one hand, you're saying:

Quit giving resources to it. The future of our athletics is Zach Arnett and Chris Jans. Give those guys the NIL money and the facilities and everyone else is secondary.

And on the other hand, you're saying:

Why can these schools have success in both basketball and baseball but we can't?

We either have the resources to support both programs at a championship level or we don't. Is it your feeling that we do?

Also, using Texas A&M as a comparator for resources is a non-starter for like 99% of the FBS. Comparing Auburn is a non-starter for like 90%. We're at least somewhat on par with Texas Tech from an athletic department revenue/expense perspective, but I mean... look at their endowment dollars compared to ours and you can kind of extract a rough ratio on what their NIL potential is vs ours.

Let's also be very clear. NONE of those teams mentioned has a national championship in baseball or men's basketball. Are you saying you would trade a baseball national championship for a men's basketball Sweet 16 appearance? Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm really trying to grasp your point here.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016

I never watch the NBA and so never will.
How many players does MSU have in the NBA? how many in Major League Baseball? How many in NFL.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login