NET #45

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

That might be true but the angst is because this a make-or-break season for Ben Howland and many are feeling the same vibe from this team as from most of the others. While we haven't lost to a bad team we have lost TWO games that we should not have that put us squarely on the bubble at best. My minimum expectation for this season is to make the NCCAT without having to sweat it out on the bubble. Eking into the tourney and losing in round 1, is a failure to me and time to move on from BH. Might be for the best because even if we have a good year I have little faith we can sustain it.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I just don't have any faith in this program being able to get the big wins it needs in conference play. Or if they do get a big win I fully expect them to follow it up with a bad loss.

We don't have a bad loss yet but we also don't have any good wins. And we need a bunch of them in conference play. Just have a hard time buying into that happening.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Definitely not DOA, but as things stand right now, I think I counted 7 quad 1 games left. We’ve put ourselves in a position where I think we simply have to win 4-5 of those

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Definitely not DOA, but as things stand right now, I think I counted 7 quad 1 games left. We’ve put ourselves in a position where I think we simply have to win 4-5 of those

Folks would do well to remember this when we go 9-9 in the conference but most all of those wins come against Missouri, South Carolina, Ole Miss, A&M, Vandy and Georgia.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
You would fire howland for making tourney and losing in 1st round? Wow

Regardless, we are pretty much going to have to start over next year anyway. Molinar, Tolu, Brooks, and Jeffries will all be gone. Throw in another player or two transferring out. It's not like we have much of a foundation for the future whether Howland is back or not.

I had to shake my head when I heard Rosey on Bounds talking about the Colorado State loss and he touted the fact that they were a solid team because they made the NIT final four. As if we didn't do the same? They are doing exactly what we should have done. You add talent and BUILD on a solid postseason run. It just never seems like that momentum carries over with Howland. We start every season at square one and ride this same up and down rollercoaster. This year was supposed to be different and yet it looks exactly the same as before.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
We will look back on Minnesota and CSU and say one of those wins would have got us in. Mark it down.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You add talent and BUILD on a solid postseason run. It just never seems like that momentum carries over with Howland.

It was 6 years after our Final 4 appearance before we went back to the dance so its not just Gentle Ben.....................

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Regardless, we are pretty much going to have to start over next year anyway. Molinar, Tolu, Brooks, and Jeffries will all be gone. Throw in another player or two transferring out. It's not like we have much of a foundation for the future whether Howland is back or not.

I had to shake my head when I heard Rosey on Bounds talking about the Colorado State loss and he touted the fact that they were a solid team because they made the NIT final four. As if we didn't do the same? They are doing exactly what we should have done. You add talent and BUILD on a solid postseason run. It just never seems like that momentum carries over with Howland. We start every season at square one and ride this same up and down rollercoaster. This year was supposed to be different and yet it looks exactly the same as before.

Molinar, Tolu, and Jeffries are all juniors- why will they all be gone after this season? I am not saying they will all stay, but I dont understand why you have it down as all three leaving for sure. Are you saying they will go pro and play abroad?...or that they will transfer? Tolu and Jeffries have already transferred, and though some do transfer twice in basketball, that is relatively rare.

As for building next year, its been happening more and more over the last 8 years- teams need to recruit not only potential players to come into the program, but also recruit players to stay. Transferring is at an all time high year after year and programs all over are rebuilding as a result. Our situation is no different.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
You think Tolu and Jeffries are gonna leave early? I don’t see that.

In my opinion I think we have Cam Carter, Moore, Watts, Jeffries, Matthews and Fountain with Tolu and Davis returning

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
It was 6 years after our Final 4 appearance before we went back to the dance so its not just Gentle Ben.....................

Richard Williams made the NIT in year 4, NCAA in year 5 (1 and done), no post season in years 6 and 7, NIT in year 8, and then exploded in years 9 and 10.

Not saying howland will do the same, but maybe we should remember what our basketball history really looks like

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016
I think we will probably move in another direction if we do not make the NCAAT this year. I personally like Howland, but he needs to have a good year. The talent is there this year. We just need to go out and win some games.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
Texas Tech, on the schedule in late January for the SEC-BIG12 challenge, just popped into the top 25 also. So there is some perfume available to spray on the OOC turd. Need a 12-6 run in SEC play.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Haven't we been down the road before with Howland. We're not making the tournament.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login