New MHSAA rule...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
They're finally doing the running clock...

[FONT="]New MHSAA rule change: If a football team is leading by more than 35 at the half or in the second half, officials will start a running clock. Coach consent not needed. This will also be for basketball.— Brandon Shields (@bshields0244) July 21, 2022 [/FONT]

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
They're finally doing the running clock...

[FONT="]New MHSAA rule change: If a football team is leading by more than 35 at the half or in the second half, officials will start a running clock. Coach consent not needed. This will also be for basketball.— Brandon Shields (@bshields0244) July 21, 2022 [/FONT]
They have been doing it for years, it just required both coaches' permission. I'm glad to see it's now automatic. I've seen coaches on BOTH ends of those kind of blowouts refuse to run the clock. I was at a game one time where a 1A powerhouse was playing a team that was down to 14 players due to injuries. They ran the clock the whole game and shortened the quarters to 8 minutes. The powerhouse won 14-0. They ran vanilla plays and subbed liberally. They had the ball 4 times. They scored twice, fumbled down deep once, and had the ball down deep when the clock ran out. People wondered why it was so close. I had an hour's drive to get home and I got home before the game here in town was over.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Sometimes you just gotta..

[URL="https://giphy.com/gifs/lead-entire-annihilated-1XYC52rwtqDja"]via GIPHY[/URL]

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
They have been doing it for years, it just required both coaches' permission. I'm glad to see it's now automatic. I've seen coaches on BOTH ends of those kind of blowouts refuse to run the clock. I was at a game one time where a 1A powerhouse was playing a team that was down to 14 players due to injuries. They ran the clock the whole game and shortened the quarters to 8 minutes. The powerhouse won 14-0. They ran vanilla plays and subbed liberally. They had the ball 4 times. They scored twice, fumbled down deep once, and had the ball down deep when the clock ran out. People wondered why it was so close. I had an hour's drive to get home and I got home before the game here in town was over.

Back in the 80s, some HS coaches considered themselves brothers and didn't want to run up the score on each other. Our coach would punt on 3rd down, tell the QB to fall down, etc., when the other team couldn't stop the most basic offensive plays. Our coach always said in a couple of years the tables could be turned, so no need to piss off or humiliate the other coach. Of course back then, none of the coaches were making shite and many had second and third jobs.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I am thinking the teams it could help the most it will not help. If a team has a long ways to drive it will be good. I think and you coaches can correct me it is usually 6A that travels a long ways. I don't see Petal leading Brandon by 35 at half or in the second half.

Brings up another question what if the losing team that is 35 behind ends up getting the game into a tie. Do they stop the running clock.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login