New Mississippi car tag design doesn't suck...

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
My favorite was the one with the trees in the background.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009

I thought the new tags were black. Are those just specialty tags?

This design is just meh, but I don't know what we are supposed to expect from a thin piece of metal made by the government. The funny part is that Tate made it look like it's some creative masterpiece, when in reality its a white canvas with a magnolia flower in the middle. What a goober.

Reactions: dorndawg

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
How many plates, including standard and vanity, does Mississippi have?
A lot. Here is a link to all that are offered although I didn't see the black plate probably because it's new. The money raised by the black plate goes to law enforcement. Not sure if that is state law enforcement or if local jurisdictions receive any of that money.

Available License Plates | DOR (ms.gov)

I think it only takes 300 preorders if you want to create a new specialty plate. I'm thinking there are probably enough posters on here that we could create a sixpack specialty plate. Money could go to buy Dawgstudent another tv.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Speaking of car tags - how is it that some people with new cars get the old M-state logo? Anyone gotten stuck with one of those lately?

My car is over 10 years old, and got the more updated logo when we bought the car new. But I'll see brand new vehicles that have the croom era M-state logo. I'd turn the tag back in if they tried to give me one of those. Surely they aren't making new tags with a logo that was retired 15 years ago.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Speaking of car tags - how is it that some people with new cars get the old M-state logo? Anyone gotten stuck with one of those lately?

My car is over 10 years old, and got the more updated logo when we bought the car new. But I'll see brand new vehicles that have the croom era M-state logo. I'd turn the tag back in if they tried to give me one of those. Surely they aren't making new tags with a logo that was retired 15 years ago.
Specialty plates and registrations can transfer over to other vehicles in Mississippi.

Reactions: kired

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Almost 300 different kinds.

291, I think?
Amazing. I suppose that it must make money or they wouldn't do it. I think there are something like 400+ in Alabama. Sounds like way too many.

Our primary standard tag is pretty much the same color as the Mississippi "mud" plate, which doesn't seem like a good thing for neighboring states. When they were first announced a couple years ago, they had an orange background but they turned out to be light yellow.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
A lot. Here is a link to all that are offered although I didn't see the black plate probably because it's new. The money raised by the black plate goes to law enforcement. Not sure if that is state law enforcement or if local jurisdictions receive any of that money.

Available License Plates | DOR (ms.gov)

I think it only takes 300 preorders if you want to create a new specialty plate. I'm thinking there are probably enough posters on here that we could create a sixpack specialty plate. Money could go to buy Dawgstudent another tv.

The number varies in Alabama, but after they finally approved out-of-state college plates (apparently was a lot of objection from UAT and Auburn), there were supposed to be 1000 paid orders before they'd issue them. MSU eventually got the 1000, and the next thing you know Ole Miss has one too - and at the time they only had about 400. I don't think they have 1000 to this day.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
How many plates, including standard and vanity, does Mississippi have?
Somewhere in the low thousands, I think. ** Coming from Texas , I was shocked at the number of plates on the road. Someone needs to get a life.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Thought there had to be 7 letters and numbers total.
No reason to have the 4th number. With 3 letters and 3 numbers, that's over 17 million unique tag numbers. In a state with only about 2 million vehicles. I think we'll survive with 3 letters and 3 numbers, just like we have for most of the last 50 years.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Because you have to order a new plate to get the new logo. Or you can just keep the same plate year after year if you choose to, which those folks must have done.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login