New MSU Gameday Out-Of-Stadium Experiences: good/bad/indifferent?

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
They used to show games on 3 large projectors in the Union before football games. I'm glad to see they are moving them to the Junction so more people can participate.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
Love all that. It gives people who want to go to the game but don't really have a tailgate or anything for their kids to do before the game, a plan and schedule.

Only question I have is, I don't understand why they wouldn't put the HailState Tailgate, then the FMB warm up in the amphitheater... You have a music venue basically right outside the stadium, and you're having a concert, so...?

It would free up the best/closest tailgating area (around the M-Club) for the people who traditionally pay for their own tailgates and now are stuck up there on that amphitheater slope. Seems like swapping those locations would make more sense, but maybe I'm missing something.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Those were my thoughts. Most of those specific things don't do anything to excite me but the idea that they are changing and trying new things does. My lack of excitement is most likely demographics(older with no young kids) more so than these being "bad" ideas.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
With the capacity reductions coming in the stadium, premium seating/services are going to be the only thing available soon. Lots of folks are going to get left outside the stadium, and leadership is building that up to keep fans in town. It's a good move from the budget side of things.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
It's really cool. We used to listen to my son when he was in the FMB warm-up in McCarthy. Sounded really unique . . . and, yes, loud.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Why don't they use the amphitheater for the video screens and food trucks? Seems much more accessible than the already crowded Junction.

Otherwise seems like a great idea.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Yes. Amphitheater area is mostly southern tailgate set ups. I guess they have deal with MSU.

regardless outside gate A is better local anyways. The University needs to take back over the junction anyways. However I believe where they're talking about, is where the alumni tent has always been.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Because the band needs a place to get dressed and ready, where it isn't 100 degrees.

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
I will say the idea of listening to the FMB in McCarthy gym sounds...painfully loud...

This sounds like we are copying Ohio State. They have Skull Session in their old gym, which is a pre-game tradition that goes back like 60-70 years. They get 10,000 fans for Skull Session. The coach and team stop in on the way to the stadium and you get a mini-concert. It was kind of cool the times I saw it.

Good to see us trying new things and glad they’re opening it up to fans as part of pre-game.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
My daughter is a senior in the FMB and this was a regular thing prior to the pandemic. It IS loud and actually pretty cool. They end the warm-up with the song they play at the end of the games called The Battle Hymn Chorale. Even though I have a sports background and have never been in in the band, that song played at that volume will make you feel like Chris Matthews listening to an Obama speech.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login