New NFL rule on coaching staff hiring

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...nsive-coach-expands-rooney-rule-include-women

I get what they are trying to do, but it seems like it's a over-reaction to the last hiring cycle where Leftwich seemingly turned down a job and Flores did his thing. Then there must be "something" with Bienemy because he didn't even make many short list this time around.

The one thing I didn't like is they didn't mention how many NFL teams are in violation of this. I'd actually be a bit shocked if there was more than a handful of teams that weren't already complicit with this. If this was a documented problem (and maybe it was) maybe I'd feel different about it, but the article didn't give any offensive coaching staff breakdown numbers. So maybe this was more of a PR stunt to put a rule that most everyone is already in line with.

Hidden in the last paragraphs were interesting notes that there are a record 15 minority DC this year and the percentage of minority coaches overall is up 5% to almost 40%. So while the HC numbers don't look great at the moment, the numbers in the rest of the staffs on paper seems pretty healthy at a glance.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Agree. This is an overreaction to a problem that has been mostly eliminated. And with 25 of 64 coordinators being minority, the next wave of head coaches is going to be more diverse than ever with or without this new rule.

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
As far as I can find, this currently affects 0 teams.

The NFL is putting the bar on the ground, stepping over it, and expecting applause.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I want to see the lists of coaching staffs before I say anything.

With that said, My initial thought is that I suspect that this is mostly window dressing and that the great majority of staffs already have minority offensive assistants.

gwadSIG

Aug 30, 2017
At what point does the NFL require every team have at least one non-minority running back?

Aug 22, 2012
Imagine being the only minority on a team's offensive staff and they trot out this new rule. Oh, so now I'm just our token guy. Job security I guess.

In this clown world the answer to discrimination is always just a different kind of discrimination.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login