New OC can Wait can it not?

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I say the OC hire can wait.

If the guy you want is on staff, let him game plan and play call during the bowl game. You will have just a little bit more information in order to make your decision.

You have the majority of the Offensive recruiting in place, QB, OL, RB and even some WR's. Sure, we might could get another key player or two but getting the right OC in place is way more important.

If it happens quickly, it could work out but having more information can help.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

If the guy you want is on staff, let him game plan and play call during the bowl game. You will have just a little bit more information in order to make your decision.

You have the majority of the Offensive recruiting in place, QB, OL, RB and even some WR's. Sure, we might could get another key player or two but getting the right OC in place is way more important.

I think we are in position right now to get a high profile OC who likes to sling it and who would like the idea of keeping The Pirate's Ship on course. This would help keep our crootin' class intact and especially hang on to Parson. Sooner than Later would seem fit IMO.

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
I don't think there's any pressure to rush now. Parson is recruiting for us and Arnett can see how Spurrier handles the bowl game... if we go outside the program it can wait until January now...

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yes and no. We certainly don’t need one in place for the bowl game, but if we hire an outside person, somebody is losing their job or going off the field. For that person, knowing sooner rather than later would be better.

Unless we went super heavy on the offensive side of the ball as far as coaches go. I guess that’s possible but wouldn’t think aren’t can do all his head coach responsibilities without adding a defensive assistant.

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
Yes and no. We certainly don’t need one in place for the bowl game, but if we hire an outside person, somebody is losing their job or going off the field. For that person, knowing sooner rather than later would be better.

Unless we went super heavy on the offensive side of the ball as far as coaches go. I guess that’s possible but wouldn’t think aren’t can do all his head coach responsibilities without adding a defensive assistant.
Why is someone going away if we hire outside the program? We have an open spot...someone may decide to leave but I don't see where someone has to go..

Reactions: drumrcraig

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Why is someone going away if we hire outside the program? We have an open spot...someone may decide to leave but I don't see where someone has to go..
Read the second paragraph. We have one open spot. If we hire an offensive assistant and nobody leaves, that means the defensive staff will stay the same, but Arnett will also have head coach responsibilities. Certainly doable but that seems like a lot to put on Arnett's plate. But maybe some of the defensive assistants have some unused capacity and it won't be that big of a deal.

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
Read the second paragraph. We have one open spot. If we hire an offensive assistant and nobody leaves, that means the defensive staff will stay the same, but Arnett will also have head coach responsibilities. Certainly doable but that seems like a lot to put on Arnett's plate. But maybe some of the defensive assistants have some unused capacity and it won't be that big of a deal.
I read it... bit there's still an open spot and we've been given exactly zero indication that he's filling it with a defensive position...

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Arnett can be the HC and keep the defensive staff we have in tact. A lot of people have mentioned Brock will likely take the role of DC. That still leaves a open offensive spot for a coordinator. No one has to leave. Hughes can coach the safety group as a whole or Arnett can still coach safeties. There will be a few staff members leaves regardless, but if they don't, you can keep everyone where they are and hire an OC. Hollingshead can coach QBs and the OC can just be an OC if needed.
It is going to be a very attractive job. You have a lot of skill talent and you will likely have full authority, similar to the Leach and Arnett relationship. I don't know if it's the route Arnett goes, but you could pull a very good OC from a bigger program just by them being able to have complete control of an offense, which is a rarity in CFB.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007

I would think Arnett is ready to get things firm as soon as reasonably possible. Yes, we have guys on offense staff, but what's our identity going to be going forward? It's a complete unknown with Arnett now. I'd assume he keeps it in the same ball park as air raid given our roster and him needing to prove himself pretty quicky. A large move away from it would be a massive gamble. But even knowing that, recruits and the guys on staff are going to want to know what the vision on offense is sooner than later.

Another good question is whether the guys that have been with Mike a long time move on or not. I have no idea what their feelings or career goals are, but their once in a generation leader is no longer with us. Has to be a bizarre feeling for them. They may seek out other opportunities to switch things up. Or they may become even closer and close out what Mike wanted to see through. Lots of unknowns....

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I read it... bit there's still an open spot and we've been given exactly zero indication that he's filling it with a defensive position...
Actually, looking at the staff, we do have one more defensive coach than offensive coach right now, so we could fill it with an offensive coach and it would not be different than what Leach did. We'd have equal number of offensive and defensive coaches if you count the Head Coach. The difference is that Leach had been coaching forever and had some long time offensive staff he trusted. Plus, one of the defensive coaches is Hughes, who coaches "nickel backs", which tells me he's probably not really carrying a load as a position coach but carrying it in recruiting and maybe some administrative work. So if you hire an offensive coach to fill that spot, you're either going to have to turn safeties over to Hughes, or somebody else on the defensive staff is going to have to step up and cover an extra position group.

I think it probably makes more sense to only have one WR coach on the offensive side, hire an OC that will also be QB coach, and add a defensive coach to help Arnett so he's not overwhelmed as he's learning the job. But you are correct that we can go either way and not really be out of balance as far as how many coaches are on the offenseive and defensive side.

Reactions: mo7888

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think Brock gets promoted to run the defense as coordinator/play caller with arnett highly involved.

we better go out and find the best play caller for modified air raid we can get as soon as we can before they end up signing new contracts or end up somewhere else

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Got to see who stays on the staff first. Arnette might not want all that's there now or some their may not want to work for Arnette.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I think Brock gets promoted to run the defense as coordinator/play caller with arnett highly involved.

we better go out and find the best play caller for modified air raid we can get as soon as we can before they end up signing new contracts or end up somewhere else
You may lose one or two but the core will stay if the plan is to keep the same scheme. If not, you might see a mass exodus. I think it's way more important to get the right guy at OC than. Keep in mind, we may have had lots of this prepared. I am not saying because Leach was thought to be retiring but just good preparations by Leach himself. He was known for mentoring coaches as much as anyone anywhere.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah I mean I want us to get the best OC possible m. Especially inexperienced young head coach with small contract. Need some experience at OC

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
All this talk about OC & no one mentions Stiggs?**

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009

Naming an OC later next year is fine w/ me. But I’m not the one being recruited by a dozen other schools that say I’m gonna get 8-10 touches a game. If I’m that guy, MSU naturally finds it way to the bottom of the list based on the fact that I just don’t know anything about my future. And these kids live in Twitter time not calendars.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Naming an OC later next year is fine w/ me. But I’m not the one being recruited by a dozen other schools that say I’m gonna get 8-10 touches a game. If I’m that guy, MSU naturally finds it way to the bottom of the list based on the fact that I just don’t know anything about my future. And these kids live in Twitter time not calendars.
I'm sure the recruits are hearing a lot more than we do. CZA will take care of it. I think everyone sees a stable program right now so I think recruiting will go well.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

I believe ground work is being laid. We will reach out to see where we are with candidates while we allow whoever is on staff to show us what they got.

We can do both at the same time and make the move at the right time

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I believe ground work is being laid. We will reach out to see where we are with candidates while we allow whoever is on staff to show us what they got.

We can do both at the same time and make the move at the right time
I think for recruiting it's good to let qbs running backs receivers linemen to know what they will be commuting too. Hopefully they are telling if they going to modify things or it will be the somewhat the same

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I heard they were going after Jeff Monken from Army. Has head coaching experience and wants to come to the SEC

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
If we don't hire one by Monday, then we're probably just waiting to announce it. We've already made contact.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login