New pitching coach in the saddle, great its about time. Question is, why

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
after only 2 seasons at SC? They were a Regional Host and winner and moved on to a Super. Why would you leave that to come here which has to be the most challenging coaching position a pitching coach could be at anywhere in the country? And after only 2 seasons there? I'd like to hear details of the contract to satisfy my curiosity because the answers such as "he had done all he could there", "a motivated coach is always looking for the next challenge", etc don't add up. Sounds like a good hire but I'd just like to know why

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
after only 2 seasons at SC? They were a Regional Host and winner and moved on to a Super. Why would you leave that to come here which has to be the most challenging coaching position a pitching coach could be at anywhere in the country? And after only 2 seasons there? I'd like to hear details of the contract to satisfy my curiosity because the answers such as "he had done all he could there", "a motivated coach is always looking for the next challenge", etc don't add up. Sounds like a good hire but I'd just like to know why
1. Instability at SC- coach may be leaving (and not taking JP with him possibly) and it doesn’t seem like Tanner wants Kingston

2. More money. SC isn’t committed to baseball bc of WBK a which doesn’t make total sense to me but whatever.

3. Lem and Parker have a connection.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
And to think progress means making Hoover next year. The goal should be a regional.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
1. Instability at SC- coach may be leaving (and not taking JP with him possibly) and it doesn’t seem like Tanner wants Kingston

2. More money. SC isn’t committed to baseball bc of WBK a which doesn’t make total sense to me but whatever.

1. "MAY be leaving not taking JP w/ him possibly" If that's the case, big red flag.

2018 first season swept LSU and won series against Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Missouri and Texas A&M on its way to a third place finish in the SEC East (17-13) and fifth-place overall conference finish. Won a regional, won 1 of 3 in Super against AR

2019 went to SEC tourney

2020 went 12-4 in Covid season in conference only games

2021 hosted regional

2022 Solid at home 21-12 sucked balls on road 4-14. 27-28 overall

2023 Hosted and won a regional and moved on to Gainsville where Gators put them out.

Tanner doesn't want that? Then he needs to continue to snuggle up to ole Miss Staley

2. "more money" Maybe but I'd like all the contract details to really understand it

3. Connection? He went to Indiana after Lemonis left so they didn't work together, just a friend of a friend connection?

It just doesn't all add up and we may never know the whole truth

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
1. "MAY be leaving not taking JP w/ him possibly" If that's the case, big red flag.

2018 first season swept LSU and won series against Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Missouri and Texas A&M on its way to a third place finish in the SEC East (17-13) and fifth-place overall conference finish. Won a regional, won 1 of 3 in Super against AR

2019 went to SEC tourney

2021 hosted regional

2022 Solid at home 21-12 sucked balls on road 27-28 overall

2023 Hosted and won a regional and moved on to Gainsville where Gators put them out.

Tanner doesn't want that? Then he needs to continue to snuggle up to ole Miss Staley

2. "more money" Maybe but I'd like all the contract details to really understand it

3. Connection? He went to Indiana after Lemonis left so they didn't work together, just a friend of a friend connection?

I think you are making a red flag when there isn’t one. Kingston was being considered for Miami but he would likely have to keep their long time PC.

As for Tanner not wanting him I don’t know. He has been inconsistent and I think his job was on the line this year. I mean making the sec tourney in 2019 at 8-22 is not something to brag about. Then they missed regionals again in 2022. I wouldnt want him at State and don’t know why Miami would.

I dont know what the connection is but there is a connection. This guy has done nothing but put good staffs together. As I noted his 2022 sc staff was rough but they were having to rebuild it.

Last edited:

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I think you’re trying to make this a problem when it’s not…

1) state is a better job than South Carolina in baseball. It just is.

2) most of these assistant coaches operate on 1 year contracts anyway. It’s just the nature of it. I don’t think a talented and well thought of coach is going to be too worried about the possibility of Lemonis being fired next year.

Old Dawg

Jan 7, 2020

2019 went to SEC tourney

2021 hosted regional

2022 Solid at home 21-12 sucked balls on road 27-28 overall

Hey take the win! Why do you want so much drama where there is none. We offered, he looked at us with open eyes. He chose MSU. Take the win.

Sep 15, 2009
Not sure why but this hire seems like an attempt to put a scoop of ice cream on a giant turd trying to make it more appetizing.
Your analogy fails here, because putting ice cream on it would make it more appetizing than not having it. So adding a good coach to a bad team (or badly coached team?) can only make it better. It still might not be good, but it'll be better.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
And to think progress means making Hoover next year. The goal should be a regional.
I am serious as a heart attack when I say this, but if this comes to pass and Lemonis is indeed retained after missing a regional for the 3rd straight year, I will quit following MSU baseball until we have an AD that actually cares about baseball

Reactions: patdog

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I am serious as a heart attack when I say this, but if this comes to pass and Lemonis is indeed retained after missing a regional for the 3rd straight year, I will quit following MSU baseball until we have an AD that actually cares about baseball
Lem has pulled off something amazing. He can be a 3 seed next year and people will think he is doing good bc he totally reset expectations by being so bad at his job

I need to try this in my career.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
We hired a good pitching coach and this thread reads like someone threw a turd in our punch bowl. All you Lemonis haters need to realize he's our coach for another year like it or not. All your whining and belly aching is not going to change that. Those of us that visit this site already know how you feel so you are wasting your and our time posting the same old s*** you've posted 100 times. We get it, you want Lemonis fired. Well it ain't happening. Have a nice day.

Old Dawg

Jan 7, 2020
I'm sure Zac will be emailing you a copy of the contract for review. I'm old, I don't get why our fanbase always looks for the negative instead of enjoying the positive. Maybe he wanted the most challenging coaching position a pitching coach could have. You may have answered your own question.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Lem has pulled off something amazing. He can be a 3 seed next year and people will think he is doing good bc he totally reset expectations by being so bad at his job

To this day, I cannot wrap my head around it. Two consecutive years of performance so bad that it can only be explained by either gross negligence or incomparable incompetence, and not only does he keep his job, he’s getting paid at the top of his class to stick around.

I cannot put these puzzle pieces together no matter how hard I try

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
season 3 andy bellefleur GIF

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I think you’re trying to make this a problem when it’s not…

1) state is a better job than South Carolina in baseball. It just is.

2) most of these assistant coaches operate on 1 year contracts anyway. It’s just the nature of it. I don’t think a talented and well thought of coach is going to be too worried about the possibility of Lemonis being fired next year.
Agree your opening remark

As for MSU being a better job than SC, I think it depends on the lens through which you view it. Upside potential at MSU is higher but SC seems to have risen from the ashes this year. Facilities definitely in MSU's favor.

You hit that mark on assistant coaches -- those are transient positions by their very nature.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
To this day, I cannot wrap my head around it. Two consecutive years of performance so bad that it can only be explained by either gross negligence or incomparable incompetence, and not only does he keep his job, he’s getting paid at the top of his class to stick around.

It ain't hard. He won a national championship two years ago at a school that was incredibly hungry for one.

That bought him a ton of chances to F up and not lose his job.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It ain't hard. He won a national championship two years ago at a school that was incredibly hungry for one.

If true, and it apparently is, that is extremely concerning. We better get serious about baseball if we ever want to get back to what we once were. Letting a coach run a program into the cellar with no real accountability is a big problem.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
We hired a good pitching coach and this thread reads like someone threw a turd in our punch bowl. All you Lemonis haters need to realize he's our coach for another year like it or not. All your whining and belly aching is not going to change that. Those of us that visit this site already know how you feel so you are wasting your and our time posting the same old s*** you've posted 100 times. We get it, you want Lemonis fired. Well it ain't happening. Have a nice day.
It ain't like STATE invented Msg Board Coach Bichin'.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

Yep, been in competitive sales all my life and despite past good performances it's always been "What Have You Done For Me Lately" every 17ing day.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

I don't get this mindset. To me winning a NC leading up to these last two years makes the case all the stronger to fire his a**.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

You also think he had some sort of "long term" guaranteed contract to entice him as well. I mean long term in the sense of an assistant coach's contract.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Yeah. Looks like we were the best landing spot Parker could find. No idea why USC let him go so easily though. Still think it’s about as good a hire as we could reasonably expect.
As quick as usc hired replacement, I’d venture to say he was asked to look

Ddog

May 24, 2023

You need to try harder.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
You also think he had some sort of "long term" guaranteed contract to entice him as well. I mean long term in the sense of an assistant coach's contract.
Yes. Id bet at least 3 year guarantee.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

THIS all day long! Followed up 5 years of fantastic baseball culminating in a NC with CONSECUTIVE historically horrible seasons! That should never be allowed to happen and the HC keeps his job. Previously I did a quick take of the 8 teams that went to Omaha in 2021 and how they followed up that trip to the CWS. None of them were anywhere close to what we did. Several went back to Omaha and NONE missed post-season play both seasons. Only one team, NCState missed post season but just one of the two seasons.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login