New pitching coach in the saddle, great its about time. Question is, why

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
It makes a lot of sense for Parker when you look at it this way.

1. If it doesn’t work out, he won’t be blamed, it will fall squarely on Lemonis. His likelihood of getting another PC job would still be high.

2. If it does work out, he will be viewed as the guy that saved MSU baseball. Makes him a prime head coaching candidate in the near future and would give him a lot of negotiating leverage with us.

3. He’s getting a big pay raise to come here and probably a contract with financial protections in the event that he loses his job in a year.

I’m optimistic but also realize the task at hand is large. Even so, this was good first step in fixing things by Lemonis.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Whoever is the new coach, come on and get on the job. Who cares about who was offered and how he got here. Parker took the job. He’s our new coach. Do the job; Hail State!!

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I don't get this mindset. To me winning a NC leading up to these last two years makes the case all the stronger to fire his a**.

I'm not really defending the mindset, just stating what seems very obvious to me. He's still here because of what he accomplished two years ago.

But I will say that I don't get the mindset of I guess you and others here who think a guy with a good reputation in coaching circles and great success initially here should be fired 2 years after the mountaintop. He's not as good as he seemed two years ago, but I really doubt he's suddenly as bad as many seem to believe.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Watching the MCWS from Omaha, I listened to an interview with a professor who works with their pitching coach to maintain the health of the arms for Wake Forest. What we have been doing to physically train our pitchers is obviously not working. I hope that Coach Parker has an interest in proper fitness.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
after only 2 seasons at SC? They were a Regional Host and winner and moved on to a Super. Why would you leave that to come here which has to be the most challenging coaching position a pitching coach could be at anywhere in the country? And after only 2 seasons there? I'd like to hear details of the contract to satisfy my curiosity because the answers such as "he had done all he could there", "a motivated coach is always looking for the next challenge", etc don't add up. Sounds like a good hire but I'd just like to know why
Maybe it was his decision. Maybe he wanted out. Maybe he did not like something, or someone he was having to deal with.
Your, or our general logic does not always apply.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Maybe it was his decision. Maybe he wanted out. Maybe he did not like something, or someone he was having to deal with.
Your, or our general logic does not always apply.
Whether he wanted out or was pushed out, there's a story there we'll probably never know. I guess the good news is everyone wound up happy. Except Liberty. And 17 them anyway.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
He's worked with Lemonis before at Indiana maybe he just feels more comfortable than his current situation. If you are not happy and another big program comes a looking with good money you might be inclined to accept.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
He's worked with Lemonis before at Indiana maybe he just feels more comfortable than his current situation. If you are not happy and another big program comes a looking with good money you might be inclined to accept.
He never worked with Lemon

his first year at IU was Lemonis first year at state

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
1. "MAY be leaving not taking JP w/ him possibly" If that's the case, big red flag.

2018 first season swept LSU and won series against Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Missouri and Texas A&M on its way to a third place finish in the SEC East (17-13) and fifth-place overall conference finish. Won a regional, won 1 of 3 in Super against AR

2019 went to SEC tourney

2020 went 12-4 in Covid season in conference only games

2021 hosted regional

2022 Solid at home 21-12 sucked balls on road 4-14. 27-28 overall

2023 Hosted and won a regional and moved on to Gainsville where Gators put them out.

Tanner doesn't want that? Then he needs to continue to snuggle up to ole Miss Staley

2. "more money" Maybe but I'd like all the contract details to really understand it

3. Connection? He went to Indiana after Lemonis left so they didn't work together, just a friend of a friend connection?

It just doesn't all add up and we may never know the whole truth
When we lose coordinators in football to Florida or other big schools it makes sense to a lot of people, right?

Well this is the same but baseball. And we are one of those schools in baseball.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

DawginEthel

Jan 2, 2023
after only 2 seasons at SC? They were a Regional Host and winner and moved on to a Super. Why would you leave that to come here which has to be the most challenging coaching position a pitching coach could be at anywhere in the country? And after only 2 seasons there? I'd like to hear details of the contract to satisfy my curiosity because the answers such as "he had done all he could there", "a motivated coach is always looking for the next challenge", etc don't add up. Sounds like a good hire but I'd just like to know why
Maybe he wanted a $100,000 raise? $200,000 raise? I dunno the exact amount but I'd quit my job and go teach math at Ole Miss for a raise like that.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Why would you leave that to come here which has to be the most challenging coaching position a pitching coach could be at anywhere in the country?

Well, based on what a lot of folks say here, they love Starkville because of all the hunting and fishing you can do…

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

I guess we better be glad the pitching coach isn’t a live music lover? **

Reactions: patdog

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Lem has pulled off something amazing. He can be a 3 seed next year and people will think he is doing good bc he totally reset expectations by being so bad at his job

I need to try this in my career.
I wouldn't. You can only get away with this at MSU.

Reactions: beachbumdawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Well, based on what a lot of folks say here, they love Starkville because of all the hunting and fishing you can do…

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

I guess we better be glad the pitching coach isn’t a live music lover? **
or Target or Publix. Now if they are in to Mexican, dry fried chicken breasts, cheese fries, or burgers they will LUV it here, at least until he pitching staff.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login