New residence hall at MSU

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
With the $65m Duff Center, $33m renovation of Dorman, and $46m new high performance computing center, there will be a lot of activity on campus in the coming months/years

Reactions: aTotal360

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
In order to make sure we pay for this and make considerable profit, can we require freshmen and sophomores to stay on campus? Very important to turn that buck while you can.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
96 mill seems like a lot for 412 students. But I’m not a dorm expert.
Holy 17. It's way too much. I am completely over the complaints about tuition costs if all the universities feel like they need to spend this kind of money to attract these future debt ridden complainers

To give you an idea of how expensive that is, I was just reading earlier this week about a new multifamily project in Frisco TX. It's at a development that is built around the new PGA Headquarters and two new world class 18 hole courses that will host 26 various championships over the next 10 or so years, including 2 majors... Not exactly low rent real estate.

This multifamily project will has 325 units of 1-3 bedrooms, a 5 story parking garage, a separate building for fitness and recreation, and will be 573,000 square feet. Price tag $70 million.

The Links

Assuming a conservative occupancy of 2 people per unit, the Frisco Links project cost just under $100,000 per tenant. But it's an ultra premium location and development. The dumbåss dorm at Mississippi State would have a cost of $233,000 per student. Think about that... That's like you and a roommate buying a $460,000 house from a cost perspective. Instead you get a 17ing single person pod and a shower down the hall? What in the actual 17?

ETA here's another example... The Arizona State University Omni was just opened in Tempe. 16 Stories beauty with 330 rooms, rooftop pool 38,000 SF of meeting space, 4 restaurants, and several retail outlets. $125 million.

phxasu-omni-tempe-hotel-exterior.jpg
phxasu-omni-tempe-hotel-neighborhood-services-rendering.jpg
PHXASU-Omni_Tempe_Hotel_at_ASU-2023-king_room_PK_PKRA_web.jpg
PHXASU-Omni_Tempe_Hotel_at_ASU-2023-two_bay_suite_bath_SK_web.jpg

330 rooms = 660 capacity with double occupancy equals $189,000 per bed. That's 20% cheaper than the 17ing DORM at Mississippi State.

17 the idiots at this University. Somebody is stealing money. $96 million for a 412 bed dorm? 17 you dumbåsses making these decisions.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Holy 17. It's way too much. I am completely over the complaints about tuition costs if all the universities feel like they need to spend this kind of money to attract these future debt ridden complainers

To give you an idea of how expensive that is, I was just reading earlier this week about a new multifamily project in Frisco TX. It's at a development that is built around the new PGA Headquarters and two new world class 18 hole courses that will host 26 various championships over the next 10 or so years, including 2 majors... Not exactly low rent real estate.

This multifamily project will has 325 units of 1-3 bedrooms, a 5 story parking garage, a separate building for fitness and recreation, and will be 573,000 square feet. Price tag $70 million.

The Links

Assuming a conservative occupancy of 2 people per unit, the Frisco Links project cost just under $100,000 per tenant. But it's an ultra premium location and development. The dumbåss dorm at Mississippi State would have a cost of $233,000 per student. Think about that... That's like you and a roommate buying a $460,000 house from a cost perspective. Instead you get a 17ing single person pod and a shower down the hall? What in the actual 17?

ETA here's another example... The Arizona State University Omni was just opened in Tempe. 16 Stories beauty with 330 rooms, rooftop pool 38,000 SF of meeting space, 4 restaurants, and several retail outlets. $125 million.

View attachment 338695
View attachment 338694
View attachment 338696
View attachment 338697

330 rooms = 660 capacity with double occupancy equals $189,000 per bed. That's 20% cheaper than the 17ing DORM at Mississippi State.

17 the idiots at this University. Somebody is stealing money. $96 million for a 412 bed dorm? 17 you dumbåsses making these decisions.

Geez.

Let’s see what the pricing point per semester will be before I agree with you 100 percent.

And speaking of which: what do you expect it to be?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Geez.

Let’s see what the pricing point per semester will be before I agree with you 100 percent.

And speaking of which: what do you expect it to be?
No idea. But if it's not higher than $10,000 per semester, some other part of the university is subsidizing it.

$96MM amortized at 30 years at 5.2% is $6.375MM per year. Divide that by 412 and you get $15,400 per year. That's before utilities maintenance, insurance, and of course staff... Remember the inmates don't have to clean their own bathroom at this facility according to the article.

My guess is it is priced 20% higher than the highest existing dorm and the rest of the cost is absorbed somewhere else (tuition fees, etc.) And maybe this cost is not capital outlay, but opportunity cost by using tens of millions in donations, grants, or other cash to subsidize this garishness.

I'd rather see a $20MM dorm and $76MM used to lower the cost of attendance and improving the quality of the actual education.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

The Links

View attachment 338695
View attachment 338694
View attachment 338696
View attachment 338697

Just think how expensive the TX project could be if the government was in charge. When you play with other people’s money, you can’t be leaving any of it on the table. That’s irresponsible.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
96 mill seems like a lot for 412 students. But I’m not a dorm expert.

I believe we paid a buck fitty for Smith Hall (if that).
tired eric cartman GIF by South Park

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

The Links

View attachment 338695
View attachment 338694
View attachment 338696
View attachment 338697

That puts it in perspective. Also, from my perspective, the trend is to live off campus way more so than it was when I was in school. I'm surprised there is demand. I would say that I'm sure they have the numbers to justify it but given your cost examples above, I'm not sure that numbers are their strong suit.

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008
Hell....I lived in Moore and Garner. Of course that was a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Reactions: MSU67

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
That puts it in perspective. Also, from my perspective, the trend is to live off campus way more so than it was when I was in school. I'm surprised there is demand. I would say that I'm sure they have the numbers to justify it but given your cost examples above, I'm not sure that numbers are their strong suit.
Freshmans are required to live on campus

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I think Critz cost about $250K to build. We got to enjoy nature when I was there as a freshman. No A/C. Today it's diversity and inclusiion that's important as the article is more concerned about student mingling. The rebuild of the sacred temple known as DNF cost only $56M. $96M is unbelievable.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I think Critz cost about $250K to build. We got to enjoy nature when I was there as a freshman. No A/C. Today it's diversity and inclusiion that's important as the article is more concerned about student mingling. The rebuild of the sacred temple known as DNF cost only $56M. $96M is unbelievable.
My wife is sadly a Texas A&M grad. The cult sends her all kinds of magazines and I saw something a while about a public/private student housing project.

Just looked it back up. The university gave a ground lease of 47 acres. The developers built a huge apartment complex with 3600 beds for $360MM. The university will make $600MM off the ground lease over 30 years. We are going to lose big time on this one. $233,000 per bed is 60% more than we should be paying for high end in campus housing.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
My wife is sadly a Texas A&M grad. The cult sends her all kinds of magazines and I saw something a while about a public/private student housing project.

Just looked it back up. The university gave a ground lease of 47 acres. The developers built a huge apartment complex with 3600 beds for $360MM. The university will make $600MM off the ground lease over 30 years. We are going to lose big time on this one. $233,000 per bed is 60% more than we should be paying for high end in campus housing.
It is not all housing. There is a new dining hall the food operator will pay for, as well as academic and student support space. Its not a typical "residence hall" as MSU has come to know them. Its an all in one type space. The article outlines this enough to realize that its not just beds, making your calculations incomplete.

Also, MSU has done private-public partnership at College View and will do phase 2 soon.

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009
With the $65m Duff Center, $33m renovation of Dorman, and $46m new high performance computing center, there will be a lot of activity on campus in the coming months/years
What are they going to do to Dorman? I missed that one, and Googling it didn't find me much.

dawgflo

Nov 17, 2021
"Hill said the new residence hall will include a new dining hall and a storm shelter." I would be curious as to how much aramark is contributing to the dining hall. I know they built the one where the old tennis courts were and renovated the kitchen in Perry. And the storm shelter may get some funds (though i doubt its much)

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It is not all housing. There is a new dining hall the food operator will pay for, as well as academic and student support space. Its not a typical "residence hall" as MSU has come to know them. Its an all in one type space. The article outlines this enough to realize that its not just beds, making your calculations incomplete.

Also, MSU has done private-public partnership at College View and will do phase 2 soon.
I read the article. It doesn't mention anything about "academic and student support space." If you have inside info that there will be a lot of offices or classrooms here, please share.

The article says it's a pod style dorm with the extras of a dining hall and storm shelter (a basement), with shared bathrooms and common spaces for the residents. This is a fancy hostel or weird hotel without private bathrooms at this point. From what I read there is $50MM missing in this deal assuming 250 SF pod style rooms (25*10 is huge) and another 100SF of common areas per resident plus a 30,000 SF food court. You add that up and this building is +/- 180,000 SF finished

Unless there is going to be 150,000+ square feet of highly finished space not mentioned, this is way overpriced.

Reactions: dorndawg

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
I read the article. It doesn't mention anything about "academic and student support space." If you have inside info that there will be a lot of offices or classrooms here, please share.
“The intentional integration of several concepts with partners across MSU is also another unique facet of this facility: academic partnership, additional dining options for the MSU community and guests on this side of campus, and a storm shelter,” Allard said.

I was told there is going to be student support space, so it didnt make the article. My apologies. But academic did.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

The article says it's a pod style dorm with the extras of a dining hall and storm shelter (a basement), with shared bathrooms and common spaces for the residents. This is a fancy hostel or weird hotel without private bathrooms at this point. From what I read there is $50MM missing in this deal assuming 250 SF pod style rooms (25*10 is huge) and another 100SF of common areas per resident plus a 30,000 SF food court. You add that up and this building is +/- 180,000 SF finished

Unless there is going to be 150,000+ square feet of highly finished space not mentioned, this is way overpriced.
We gonna have The World's Fanciest Bed & Breakfast. Your move, rebs.

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008
Please elaborate on "student support space". Exactly what is it that these poor babies need?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
“The intentional integration of several concepts with partners across MSU is also another unique facet of this facility: academic partnership, additional dining options for the MSU community and guests on this side of campus, and a storm shelter,” Allard said.

I was told there is going to be student support space, so it didnt make the article. My apologies. But academic did.
Fair enough. Just going to point out that $100MM is a lot of money, even in commercial construction. I will be happy to eat my words if it pans out to be better than it sounds when the details are released, but here's what $100MM of commercial construction in Uptown Dallas (which is becoming some of the most expensive real estate in the US) gets you in 2023 as ground is just now breaking on this project announced in January:

Hilton-WV-Exterior-3.jpg
Hilton-3.jpg

263760504.jpg
DTLA-ACHotelBarandLounge-1350x750-1.jpg
260,000SF of finished 4-5* hotel and parking garage. 19 stories tall with a rooftop pool and several restaurants and bars. Surely we should end up with a lot more that for our $96MM in rural MS vs Uptown Dallas?

FYI this is not a Mississippi State problem, it's an almost every college problem. I swear, if you turned a real commercial developer loose on this you could get your new super cool dorm for 412 students, a food court, and a new basketball arena for the same price as the paper pushers on campus will spend on just the dorm.***

Reactions: Darryl Steight

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
In order to make sure we pay for this and make considerable profit, can we require freshmen and sophomores to stay on campus? Very important to turn that buck while you can.
Freshmen have been required to stay on campus fora while now.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Yes was saying go ahead and make the sophomores as well, max out this epic business venture 💰💰💰
A few years ago they basically only had room for freshmen on campus. My son was told there was no room when he was a soph. He had to move off campus, and he was in an honors dorm. This was in 2015. I think they have built exactly one dorm since then. There will be zero problem filling this dorm.

Forrest4Moore

Nov 14, 2011
This is an absolutely insane amount for this project. Someone’s pockets are getting handsomely lined.
The city of Jackson could have bid this job out for a better result. How did the IHL approve this use of funds?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
This is an absolutely insane amount for this project. Someone’s pockets are getting handsomely lined.
The city of Jackson could have bid this job out for a better result. How did the IHL approve this use of funds?
Hell triple it why not. See if it gets approved

HotelSuttle

Sep 29, 2022
I am interested to find out more about this project because my daughter, a current student, called me about a month ago saying that the National Panhellenic groups were going to have housing built on this site. I went to the campus master plan and saw on the 2022 update that a multi-cultural center and National Panhellenic "plots" with future student housing was planned for the old Suttle Hall location. I've attached the campus master plan and if you go to page 88 it details the plans. The timing of the info coming out on campus and this announcement seem about right.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Design is one thing. Audit the cost before, during and after.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Yes was saying go ahead and make the sophomores as well, max out this epic business venture 💰💰💰
That's part of the problem. There aren't enough dorm rooms on campus to require freshmen and sophomores to stay on campus. My son will be a sophomore next Fall. When campus housing was opened to Soph - Sr last semester, the remaining rooms were gone in less than 48 hours. He ended up having to find an off-campus option.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login