New residence hall at MSU

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
That's part of the problem. There aren't enough dorm rooms on campus to require freshmen and sophomores to stay on campus. My son will be a sophomore next Fall. When campus housing was opened to Soph - Sr last semester, the remaining rooms were gone in less than 48 hours. He ended up having to find an off-campus option.
The simple solution might be to build nice, affordable on campus housing. We should not be spending over $80,000 per bed on dorms at Mississippi State. RS Means puts out cost data every quarter on commercial construction costs.

According to this quarter's data, the median build price across the country for dorms is $256/SF. Add in the cost adjustment for Mississippi (vs LA or Boston) and it's $228/SF. At 330 SF/bed (Dogwood and Davenport which I hear are great, have 330 SF/bed) you end up with 1275 new beds for $96 million. Or if you want to add recreation you can build union style facilities for $520/SF and build 950 beds of dorm and 40,000 SF of union/food court for $96 million.

At 412 beds and $96 million you could rebuild a student union the size of Colvard (110,000 SF) inside of the dorms and still come in $10 million under budget.

I don't think there is anything crooked going on, just ignorance. The bureaucracy of the university seems to think students and parents want more extravagance and amenities, but all I ever hear is we want college to cost less. Bureaucrats by nature want bigger budgets so they can increase the size of their departments and thus their salary/importance etc. It's the same in civilian world except for one caveat... We have to do it cost effectively in order to grow profits. Medical and University seems to skip cost effectively and just drive up the prices.

I would love to see our university become the value leader in education. Let's figure out how to make it cheaper not more luxurious. Right now 4 year degrees are very close to becoming a bad investment and opulence like this is a big reason why.

Moondawgg

Sep 30, 2022
It doesn’t matter how much it costs. All major dorms will fail. LA, Boston, Dallas, Mississippi State. 2 in China. It’s only a matter of time. You can build them cheap or expensive. Bitcoin, Tesla, Heinz. They will fail. There’s lists.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Was telling my daughter (no pics) about Suttle. I described it as a cross between the Land of Misfit Toys and Lord of the Flies. Suttle was kind of like Vegas, what happened in Suttle, stayed in Suttle.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Was telling my daughter (no pics) about Suttle. I described it as a cross between the Land of Misfit Toys and Lord of the Flies. Suttle was kind of like Vegas, what happened in Suttle, stayed in Suttle.
I still remember the Evans Hall t-shirt — Nothing Suttle Happens Here

(or it could have been Nothing Suttle About It… give me a break it’s been 30 years…)

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We have people bitching on here that we don't spend enough recruiting students, but the same people are bitching that we are spending too much on this. THIS is stuff that really matters when it comes to recruiting students these days. It matters a HELL of a lot more than little Suzy getting nice recruiting letters.

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
Most of these projects were in the works before covid. They also went out to bid like everything else in that price range. After covid, prices had to be re-adjusted and you had to beg for more money. IHL has to approve every building project. If ya'll want heads to roll, walk your *** to JXN and do your worst.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
I believe we paid a buck fitty for Smith Hall (if that).
tired eric cartman GIF by South Park
You stayed in Smith? Lucky dog…..I survived DUGGAR.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
We have people bitching on here that we don't spend enough recruiting students, but the same people are bitching that we are spending too much on this. THIS is stuff that really matters when it comes to recruiting students these days. It matters a HELL of a lot more than little Suzy getting nice recruiting letters.
Yep.

You don’t want little Sully Ballou talking about the deprivations at MSU…

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login