New Restaurant/bar on the way, The Landing

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
"She lies and says she's in love with him
Can't find a better man
She dreams in color, she dreams in red
Can't find a better man"

I think that played late every Thursday night for my freshman year.
You must be a good bit younger than me. Clarence Carter’s Strokin was played regularly when I went there

Reactions: Darryl Steight

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
"She lies and says she's in love with him
Can't find a better man
She dreams in color, she dreams in red
Can't find a better man"

I think that played late every Thursday night for my freshman year.
You and I spent a lot of Thursday nights together without knowing it.

Reactions: mstateglfr

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
I was there back in the 70s and you could pretty much get anything you wanted whether it was walking or crawling. One time my roommate and I partied until close and then through our stupor discovered we were left behind by our other friends(?). It was a cold January night and a cowboy (hat, boots, cup and accent ) in a convertable mustang drove up and asked us if we needed a lift back to Starkvegas. Having no choice, we jumped in and he flew down 82 with that top down. First time I had sobered up by freezing.
Me too. We started at Len Lews, the across the road to the TC, then on to Southernnaire on weekends as well as Welding Works in Columbus. The late night eat place for us was Sarge’s.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Me too. We started at Len Lews, the across the road to the TC, then on to Southernnaire on weekends as well as Welding Works in Columbus. The late night eat place for us was Sarge’s.
The Welding Works, the place to go to pick up MUW girls (MCW back in the day).

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I frequented The Club, infrequently. It was much more about loud music and dancing than The Landing. Back in early to mid 80's you could go there on a Thrs nt and see many of the football team lined up along the wall getting hammered. They'd stay there and get tanked up and then go board a plane on Friday for wherever they played that weekend or sleep in on Friday a.m. if it was a home game and try to sleep it off. You can still order one of these classic "The Club" shirts :

The Club tshirt and cap
I was on scholarship at the Club like those football players. Beer was free to us. I would go to Bob on the right corner of the bar and he would had over what ever you wanted. I would put him on my ticket pass list.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I was on scholarship at the Club like those football players. Beer was free to us. I would go to Bob on the right corner of the bar and he would had over what ever you wanted. I would put him on my ticket pass list.
Bob and the door guys (don’t remember names) got footballs, practice gear tee-shirts, turf shoes, you name it and the beer was cold and free and there was never a line to get in and show ID or cover charge.

Nov 25, 2019
Sadly, it was more than a few wrecks and fatalities. MUW ( MSCW back then ) girls and all of the nightclubs were in Columbus / Lowndes Country. If memory serves me correctly, there we 18 students killed between Columbus and Starkville one year in the 1960’s and that’s when they decided to 4 lane highway 82. One of the students killed that year was a starting defensive back at State named Emil Petro. Just a little tid bit that you other old timers might remember. There were lots of clubs and The Southernaire, which eventually became the Club was My favorite along with the Silver Spur on Old Macon Road.
good info. what a shame to lose 18 kids in one year.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Never made it past the crossroads and more specifically Len Lews through the mid to late 70"s. Still 2 lanes then and that was enough driving for me to get a beer (or 2).
I always heard about Len Lews but it was before my time. Was it south of the crossroads, down 45 on the right? I'm thinking that it had turned into Doug's when I was in school.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
I always heard about Len Lews but it was before my time. Was it south of the crossroads, down 45 on the right? I'm thinking that it had turned into Doug's when I was in school.
North on the left (Eccoles (sp) was south on the right). Seems I've seen folks say it was around where the furniture store/Pony is now but old age is getting me. Graduated in the winter of 78 and didn't come back much for a while or keep up with the happenings of the GT so not sure of the evolution of the crossroads. Understand Len Lews burned to the ground early 80's. Any other fellow old folks with a better memory?
Your classic beer joint with a pool hall (and requisite fights), great hamburgers and the best fried pickles I've ever had to this day.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Yes. Len Lews was replaced by the furniture store after the fire. Couple of really fast Glass Top Foosball Tables with the original hard plastic balls long before they started making the hard Cork Balls that you could do tricks with by controlling it with the toe of the man. I played with some incredibly quick waisted front players. They could hit the ball so hard it would dent the back wall inside the goal. One time, this guy I was playing with hit it so hard it hit the back wall of the goal on his end and came back out all the way past my middle back and into our goal.

Beer was so cold it would make Twin Peaks Girls blush.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login