New TV question

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
Looking to purchase a new TV for patio (covered). Mostly used for watching sports. Any recommendations would be appreciated. On Amazon it shows QLED, LED, UHD, ULED, etc. What do the abbreviations mean and is one better than the other for sports?

Oct 14, 2021
Outdoors you’ll need a brighter screen. Costco offering a 65 inch TCL Mini-LED 4K QLED for $669 delivered this month. Mini-LED is brighter and almost as precise as OLED without breaking your wallet. Roku OS & 5 year warranty included. Own this set and it is excellent and rivals my Sony OLED which cost $1700. I bought a cheap TV for my patio and it has been disappointing because it’s not bright enough for daylight viewing. Cheers!

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’ve had multiple TVs on my covered patio for years. I’ve even tried the true outdoor TVs. Buy the cheapest TV you can find on sale and if you find another one on sale buy a spare. Don’t buy a plasma, do they even still make those?, Plasma will freeze.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
LoL I just put a 10+ year old Sony on mine. Just bought a Roku stick for it and it's fine. Big and cheap as possible is the answer. Cheap brands are even solid now days. Bought two TCLs at Dirt Cheap in Starkville a month ago for $100 each. 46 inch I think (can't remember). Been fine too!

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Looking to purchase a new TV for patio (covered). Mostly used for watching sports. Any recommendations would be appreciated. On Amazon it shows QLED, LED, UHD, ULED, etc. What do the abbreviations mean and is one better than the other for sports?

We have this one on our patio. It’s great, and also a Fire TV with a voice remote. During Black Friday, they usually go on a good sale, too. The 4K quality is solid, too!

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I’ve had multiple TVs on my covered patio for years. I’ve even tried the true outdoor TVs. Buy the cheapest TV you can find on sale and if you find another one on sale buy a spare. Don’t buy a plasma, do they even still make those?, Plasma will freeze.
I have a Samsung Plasma TV from around 1999
It still has a great picture and I think it’s even better than my new 58” Samsung ULED

Reactions: MaxwellSmart

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I would try to get one with Roku if comparable price. The other platforms are clunky. Samsungs is terrible.

Reactions: HRMSU

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Buy the cheapest biggest option. TVs are so cheap now - I use them for a week and donate them**
^^^^^^^^^^^^this.

Even in your back patio is shaded or on the eastern side of your house, the sun may glare off the grass. I put up cheap Amazon curtains to block the glare.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Whatever is the cheapest. I put a TCL outside.

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
^^^^^^^^^^^^this.

Even in your back patio is shaded or on the eastern side of your house, the sun may glare off the grass. I put up cheap Amazon curtains to block the glare.
Picture? I’m thinking about putting one outside and need some ideas for setup.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I have a Samsung Plasma TV from around 1999
It still has a great picture and I think it’s even better than my new 58” Samsung ULED
Really? I moved a plasma from the den to the patio and it froze over the winter. Screen went all wonky on it.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I think you've got to go with plasma.

Attachments

• images-1.fill.size_2000x2999.v1611695347.jpg
    images-1.fill.size_2000x2999.v1611695347.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: dawgman42

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
I doubt I will buy another TV that isn't a Roku TV. We have other smart TVs but at some point they all quit updating their apps and we have to start using a Roku anyway, so might as well be built in.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login