Newly proposed football rules…

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I like all of them except the clock running on incompletions. The clock stopping on a first down is such a dumb rule. If you want to keep it in the final two minutes for the excitement of a potential game-winning drive, that’s fine. But there’s no reason it should stop on a first down any other time.

patdog

May 28, 2007
First three are long overdue. Last one is maybe a bit much but I'm OK with it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Why do people want to shorten the game lengths? Games are enjoyable, I don't mind them being long.

What they need to do in my opinion is speed up the ACTION. That would involve the commercials and replays. More bang for your buck.

So yeah, agree with everyone so far, 4 is dumb. I don't really like 2 or 3 either, those take away action.

ETA: If they want to shorten games, they need to be looking at baseball. They try to shorten football they are going to push away even more fans than they already have, or at least kill attendance. It's all about the damn TV nowadays.

Reactions: 8dog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Why do people want to shorten the game lengths? Games are enjoyable, I don't mind them being long.

What they need to do in my opinion is speed up the ACTION. That would involve the commercials and replays. More bang for your buck.

So yeah, agree with everyone so far, 4 is dumb. I don't really like 2 or 3 either, those take away action.

ETA: If they want to shorten games, they need to be looking at baseball. They try to shorten football they are going to push away even more fans than they already have, or at least kill attendance. It's all about the damn TV nowadays.
You enjoy missing the first quarter of your game because the game before it went 4 hours instead of 3-1/2?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You enjoy missing the first quarter of your game because the game before it went 4 hours instead of 3-1/2?
Longer the better. I love (or used to love) college football.

It sounds like what they want to do is lessen the game length and create more space for commercials. Matter of fact, that's EXACTLY why these greedy suits are doing that crap.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The easiest way to speed up the games would be to get rid of instant replay, which never gets anything right anyway.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
1. Should've already been a rule
2. I agree with this
3. I'm fine with this, but I'd raise it to 5 minutes
4. Hell no

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
The NFL has pace of play figured out way better than college football. Just go to an NFL model.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
The NFL has pace of play figured out way better than college football. Just go to an NFL model.
99% agree with you. Only issue I have with NFL pace of play is every snap seems to go down to less than 5 seconds. Need to shorten the play clock by 5 seconds. Also, call delay of game when the clock hits 0, not a couple seconds after it hits 0.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
And significantly shorter games means significantly less time for commercials, so I just can’t imagine any scenario where college football execs agree to anything other than minor changes.

To me, the goal should not be about shortening play throughout the entirety of the game. It should be about making sure that the last 5 min of game clock doesn’t last 45 minutes of real time

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Thoughts?

Some of those are dumb.

First, If you have 3 time outs, you should be able to use them at any time during a stoppage in play.

Second, the clock should always stop on all incompletions and all out of bounds plays. That is fundamental to the game and it shouldn't matter when the play happens during the game. Both should stop the clock regardless.

I can agree that the clock shouldn't stop after a 1st down, unless it is out of bounds. If the player is tackled in the field of play, the clock shouldn't stop just because they made the 1st.

If you want less plays, then outlaw the hurry up unless it is within 4 minutes of the end of half or game or unless it is 4th down.

What needs to change is the fake injuries stuff. Injuries are important to take seriously. If you are injured and have to stop the game to leave..... then you shouldn't be allowed back in the game that entire possession. Offense or defense.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I like them all except possibly for the last one. I'd be fine with a trial run with that one. Maybe pick one week out of the season and use it across the board and see what happens.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

Thats on the networks. Adjust the windows not the game that is so fun to watch

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Ensuring that ads get the most possible views. ALL FOR IT. This is America, dagnabit!
College football is only another vehicle for what matters most: consumers paying for what they think they want.
Dollah Akbar!

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Thats on the networks. Adjust the windows not the game that is so fun to watch
There’s only so much time in the day. Only way to adjust the timing is to add an SEC after dark game that ends at 1 am. No thanks.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I’m good with all of them.

The one quibble I have is the last one but the networks are what’s paying the schools the money to televise and I’m sure that’s what’s driving the call for the shortened games.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Clock rules aren't the problem. It's all of the commercials. But they won't shorten those.
Does the NFL do less or more commercials than a normal college football game?

Also commercials are how the SEC has that massive money. Less commercials = less money. I hate them but they are a necessary with the current model.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Does the NFL do less or more commercials than a normal college football game?

Also commercials are how the SEC has that massive money. Less commercials = less money. I hate them but they are a necessary with the current model.
Just charge more for each commercial and have fewer of them.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Shortening the game helps us when we play the blue bloods. I personally don’t mind the current length at all, but if it helps level the playing field for us then I support it. I don’t think the programs at the top will like it so I doubt that it will pass.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I think this could do the opposite in certain situations. Some coaches will push even harder to get plays in quicker.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Thoughts?

The rules that should be in place before any of these proposals are even considered are:
1. Replay officials get 20 seconds to review a play. After that, the screen goes black. If it takes longer than 20 seconds, the evidence is not indisputable and confirmation bias comes into play.
2. Accidental vs malicious targeting. Accidental = 15yds. Malicious = 15yds plus sitting out a half.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
There’s only so much time in the day. Only way to adjust the timing is to add an SEC after dark game that ends at 1 am. No thanks.

Games run concurrently all the time. This wouldn’t be hard. We occasionally start games at 8 anyway.

Also they made changes to shorten the games a long time ago and everyone hated it so they reversed them. More plays is much better.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Is this really a big problem anymore? With all the alternate ESPN channels, they will always air every game somewhere temporarily until the previous game ends on the primary channel.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
And significantly shorter games means significantly less time for commercials, so I just can’t imagine any scenario where college football execs agree to anything other than minor changes.

Not true. The number of commercial windows and timing of those windows are both fixed regardless of how short or long the game is. That’s why there are never any commercial breaks after a game goes into OT….the windows are already exhausted.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Is this really a big problem anymore? With all the alternate ESPN channels, they will always air every game somewhere temporarily until the previous game ends on the primary channel.
I guess that works if you want to watch the game in real time on someone else’s schedule (and sit through every damn one of those 4-minute commercial breaks). Big of you want to record it & watch on your schedule, it doesn’t. I find the inconvenience of missing part of my game to be much less that rearranging my schedule to fit the networks.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I guess that works if you want to watch the game in real time on someone else’s schedule (and sit through every damn one of those 4-minute commercial breaks). Big of you want to record it & watch on your schedule, it doesn’t. I find the inconvenience of missing part of my game to be much less that rearranging my schedule to fit the networks.

So do you wait until 30-45 min after the game starts to start watching from the beginning so you can fast forward through commercials? If so, more power to you, but I gotta know what’s happening in real time. And even if I was the opposite, I’d find out anyway from multiple buddies on any number of group texts that I’m on.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login