Newly proposed football rules…

patdog

May 28, 2007
So do you wait until 30-45 min after the game starts to start watching from the beginning so you can fast forward through commercials? If so, more power to you, but I gotta know what’s happening in real time. And even if I was the opposite, I’d find out anyway from multiple buddies on any number of group texts that I’m on.
More like 1-2 hours, depending on what else I’m doing. Just silence the phone & put it away & it’s great. Sometimes I do cheat & check the score though. I did on Saturday. Got home, checked the score, and decided to screw watching the 1st half.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
More like 1-2 hours, depending on what else I’m doing. Just silence the phone & put it away & it’s great. Sometimes I do cheat & check the score though. I did on Saturday. Got home, checked the score, and decided to screw watching the 1st half.

I can’t do that. I have to know what’s going on.

So yeah, I cheat but at least I’m open about it…

Eddie Guerrero Wrestling Gif GIF

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Good grief. Those last two seem like they would go overboard on this. Just pick one of them to start. The first two seem negligible.
I have to agree they don't need to go overboard, but they need to do something to speed the length of the games. Games recently had ridiculous total game time.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Not true. The number of commercial windows and timing of those windows are both fixed regardless of how short or long the game is. That’s why there are never any commercial breaks after a game goes into OT….the windows are already exhausted.
Ok, but I have to assume that the fixed windows for ads are based on some sort of assumed avg game length that’s in the neighborhood of 3 hrs. If college football seriously considered implementing rules that kept a running clock after first downs and incompletions, I could legit see that taking a full hour out of the broadcast.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Simple answer here is just go with NFL rules. They figured this out years ago. Time outs last 2 minutes, except some called time outs that last 30 seconds. If you want more commercial revenue that that allows, start running some commercials on that annoying scroll they're running at the bottom of the screen.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Simple answer here is just go with NFL rules. They figured this out years ago. Time outs last 2 minutes, except some called time outs that last 30 seconds. If you want more commercial revenue that that allows, start running some commercials on that annoying scroll they're running at the bottom of the screen.
I have to agree. They seem to figured it out how to control the length of the game much better.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The article says 2022 CFB games were 11 minutes longer than NFL games which makes them 8 minutes longer in 2021 if you use the same NFL number. That just doesnt seem like a big deal at all. And certainly not a reason to totally change an on field product everyone loves.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The article says 2022 CFB games were 11 minutes longer than NFL games which makes them 8 minutes longer in 2021 if you use the same NFL number. That just doesnt seem like a big deal at all. And certainly not a reason to totally change an on field product everyone loves.
All NFL games are televised. Most college games aren't, even today. I'd like to see the average for P5 games.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
All NFL games are televised. Most college games aren't, even today. I'd like to see the average for P5 games.

From the article:

Television commercials don’t impact game time significantly. From 2018-2020, games not televised finished only about two minutes sooner than those televised.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I’m good, except for one thing: #4 should not apply in the final two minutes of the half.

For a long time, I’ve said the clock should run once the ball is spotted after an incomplete pass outside of two minutes to go in the half. Stopping the clock until the ball is snapped after an incomplete pass for four full quarters really slows the game down and increases the number of plays in the game without providing a benefit. Starting the clock once the ball is spotted will shorten games and reduce the overall number of snaps. Doing this outside of two minutes to go in the half does not affect gameplay. But doing it in the final two minutes of the half will completely change two-minute drills.

The purpose of these changes is to shorten the games. They might say it is to shorten games for safety reasons, but let’s be real: This is all about TV. Applying #4 only outside of two minutes to go in the half will accomplish shortening games without making the games less offensive. Changing the two-minute drill in favor of the defense will actually make the product on TV less entertaining for the casual fan.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I like # 1.
#2 seems allright
#3 seems extreme. First Downs should be rewarded with some seconds to re-group.
#4 Not a fan. Incompletions are costly downs many times thrown intentionally or a spike to re-group on like field goals and such.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Ok, but I have to assume that the fixed windows for ads are based on some sort of assumed avg game length that’s in the neighborhood of 3 hrs. If college football seriously considered implementing rules that kept a running clock after first downs and incompletions, I could legit see that taking a full hour out of the broadcast.

Its network dependent, but the fixed windows are based on defined stoppages in play, not stoppages per X number of minutes of airtime. CBS has way more than ESPN, which is why their 2:30 game often runs until 6:30 or 7:00 PM.

For example, ESPN’s agreement may be 20 breaks each at 90 seconds, and they would be something like the first 8 qualifying play stoppages per half, plus 4 more at half time. Qualifying play stoppage would usually be a punt resulting in change of possession, scoring play, conventional timeout, injury timeout, or turnover on downs. Turnovers (fumbles and INT’s) typically don’t get the TV timeout treatment.

So no matter how much you shorten the game action itself, you’re never going to reduce the total number of commercials, because all those stoppages are still going to happen. Networks aren’t stupid and neither are the advertisers. They both know where their bread is buttered.

patdog

May 28, 2007
From the article:

Television commercials don’t impact game time significantly. From 2018-2020, games not televised finished only about two minutes sooner than those televised.
There is just simply no way this is even close to being true.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
There is just simply no way this is even close to being true.

Id imagine most every game has some form of media coverage and therefore media time outs of some degree. And in reality I’m sure the overwhelming majority of FBS a games are televised to the non tv games probably don’t impact the average much

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Id imagine most every game has some form of media coverage and therefore media time outs of some degree. And in reality I’m sure the overwhelming majority of FBS a games are televised to the non tv games probably don’t impact the average much

Yeah, I’m old enough to remember the radio timeouts from Learfield, etc. from the untelevised games in the 90’s. Media timeouts always happen whether there is TV or not.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Nearly ever college game is televised in some fashion. Take a look at ESPN+ on a Saturday.

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
The rules that should be in place before any of these proposals are even considered are:
1. Replay officials get 20 seconds to review a play. After that, the screen goes black. If it takes longer than 20 seconds, the evidence is not indisputable and confirmation bias comes into play.
2. Accidental vs malicious targeting. Accidental = 15yds. Malicious = 15yds plus sitting out a half.
20 seconds?? Heck, I’d give them 40 seconds once their eyes are inside the review booth. That would be much better than 2+ minutes.

Reactions: patdog

ntzdog

Aug 6, 2009
Clock rules aren't the problem. It's all of the commercials. But they won't shorten those.
Too many commercials. Especially for dedicated TV timeouts, after extra points, and reviews. Go to commercials during reviews and back once a decision is final. CBS is the worst about this.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I’m good, except for one thing: #4 should not apply in the final two minutes of the half.

For a long time, I’ve said the clock should run once the ball is spotted after an incomplete pass outside of two minutes to go in the half. Stopping the clock until the ball is snapped after an incomplete pass for four full quarters really slows the game down and increases the number of plays in the game without providing a benefit. Starting the clock once the ball is spotted will shorten games and reduce the overall number of snaps. Doing this outside of two minutes to go in the half does not affect gameplay. But doing it in the final two minutes of the half will completely change two-minute drills.

The purpose of these changes is to shorten the games. They might say it is to shorten games for safety reasons, but let’s be real: This is all about TV. Applying #4 only outside of two minutes to go in the half will accomplish shortening games without making the games less offensive. Changing the two-minute drill in favor of the defense will actually make the product on TV less entertaining for the casual fan.

See, I don’t like this. The rules for actual gameplay should never, ever be different depending on how much time is left. If you say you’re going to stop it until the snap inside of 2 minutes, you’re saying the plays that take place inside that window are more important than those outside of that window. They aren’t. Each play is the same importance. The game winning field goal to win the national championship is no more important than the field goal 3 minutes into the 1st quarter of that same game, within the context of the game clock and how it impacts the final result.

It’s no different than making a baseball rule that states a foul ball with 2 strikes counts as strike 3 in innings 1 through 8, but in the 9th you can foul off as many as you want with 2 strikes. Just horrible logic.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
See, I don’t like this. The rules for actual gameplay should never, ever be different depending on how much time is left. If you say you’re going to stop it until the snap inside of 2 minutes, you’re saying the plays that take place inside that window are more important than those outside of that window. They aren’t. Each play is the same importance. The game winning field goal to win the national championship is no more important than the field goal 3 minutes into the 1st quarter of that same game, within the context of the game clock and how it impacts the final result.

It’s no different than making a baseball rule that states a foul ball with 2 strikes counts as strike 3 in innings 1 through 8, but in the 9th you can foul off as many as you want with 2 strikes. Just horrible logic.
That’s a point, and many people may agree with it, but the two major sports with a clock (football and basketball) already have different clock and review procedures in the final two minutes.

My compromise approach does three things: shorten the game (better for TV scheduling), reduce the overall number of snaps (better for safety), and keeps the end of games as exciting as possible (better TV product). You have to think about it from the perspective of a casual fan. You are always going to be locked in to games involving your team. When it’s not your team, you want excitement. And a team behind with the ball at the end having a chance is more exciting.

There will always be sports purists, but these decisions are made with casual fans in mind, not diehards. Diehards watch no matter what.

patdog

May 28, 2007
See, I don’t like this. The rules for actual gameplay should never, ever be different depending on how much time is left. If you say you’re going to stop it until the snap inside of 2 minutes, you’re saying the plays that take place inside that window are more important than those outside of that window. They aren’t. Each play is the same importance.
You're right of course. But that ship sailed a long time ago.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
That’s a point, and many people may agree with it, but the two major sports with a clock (football and basketball) already have different clock and review procedures in the final two minutes.

My compromise approach does three things: shorten the game (better for TV scheduling), reduce the overall number of snaps (better for safety), and keeps the end of games as exciting as possible (better TV product). You have to think about it from the perspective of a casual fan. You are always going to be locked in to games involving your team. When it’s not your team, you want excitement. And a team behind with the ball at the end having a chance is more exciting.

There will always be sports purists, but these decisions are made with casual fans in mind, not diehards. Diehards watch no matter what.

To be clear, I am OK with different rules for reviews and other things that take place off the field in a dead ball setting inside of 2 minutes. That has merit because you can’t have coaches trying to review every single play inside of the final 2 minutes….so leaving it to the booth to decide makes sense.

Where I draw the line when the actual rules on the field for action in the game itself change based on the clock. You can’t change the rules in a way that fundamentally changes the play a coach would call in a certain situation if its 1:59 left vs. 2:00 left. That’s a bridge too far. I realize it exists already with the out of bounds clock restart times being different for inside of two minutes, but I still don’t agree with it. And I think changing the incomplete pass restart time based on time remaining is far more intrusive than that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login