Nice The Athletic article on WKU's recent portal experience keeping people...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

A couple snippets:
WKU is a model. It added Bailey Zappe, Jerreth Sterns and other players from FCS Houston Christian in 2021, and Zappe set the single-season FBS passing record. Reed continued WKU’s transfer success in 2022 before the portal opened again. The Hilltoppers did lose five players to Power 5 schools in this cycle, but keeping Reed and others shows there is a path forward. It’s not always just a bidding war.

“You can win some of those battles,” head coach Tyson Helton said, “by being open and honest and coming out to players with a pure heart.”

There's a lot more that could be mentioned.

But basically it comes down to this: People are going to do what's in their best interest & sometimes it's in a person's best interest to go into the portal and see what's out there and decide what to do.

Reactions: She Mate Me

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What? No that cant be true!
But basically it comes down to this: People are going to do what's in their best interest & sometimes it's in a person's best interest to go into the portal and see what's out there and decide what to do.

Obviously, any player who even enters the portal is a traitor, lacks character, and will hopefully fail not only at where they land next but also in all of life moving forward.
And obviously any player who comes to us thru the portal is exempt from the above since that benefits us and who needs consistent thinking?

Now here you are, coming in with a claim like its reasonable for student athletes to utilize a portal that lets them see what is potentially available to them in their limited educational and athletic career.
All who transfer out lack character and are easily manipulated. All who transfer in are to not be scrutinized in the same manner. Simple as that!**

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Obviously, any player who even enters the portal is a traitor, lacks character, and will hopefully fail not only at where they land next but also in all of life moving forward.
And obviously any player who comes to us thru the portal is exempt from the above since that benefits us and who needs consistent thinking?

Now here you are, coming in with a claim like its reasonable for student athletes to utilize a portal that lets them see what is potentially available to them in their limited educational and athletic career.
All who transfer out lack character and are easily manipulated. All who transfer in are to not be scrutinized in the same manner. Simple as that!**
Thread ruination = activated.

Not complete yet. Depends on if you exit this thread immediately.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I have zero problems with a player of ours entering the portal. The one I struggled with the most was Tulu. The way he handled it was wrong. RaRa handled it incorrectly as well. Enter the portal but don't talk **** about the school you are transferring from.

That's where the fans have issues.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Isn't LinkedIn just an employment portal?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I have zero problems with a player of ours entering the portal. The one I struggled with the most was Tulu. The way he handled it was wrong. RaRa handled it incorrectly as well. Enter the portal but don't talk **** about the school you are transferring from.

This. And I wasn't even mad about RaRa, more than anything it just proved that HE was a sh*thead, and I have no problems calling him out as such. We were one of the few FBS schools that gave him a chance and he acted like that? 17 him.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
This. And I wasn't even mad about RaRa, more than anything it just proved that HE was a sh*thead, and I have no problems calling him out as such. We were one of the few FBS schools that gave him a chance and he acted like that? 17 him.
Agree. And yes, we always hear that the rivalry is only about the fans and the players are all friends blah blah blah.

But when you are an MSU player hitting the portal and you immediately start posting pics of yourself in an OM uniform saying you’ve been offered, you are just trolling.

If the guy eventually ends up at OM so be it but that player shouldn’t be complaining about fan vitriol when you are the one fanning the flames.

Reactions: patdog

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

These are all good points, but they can be made without the sarcasm marinade.

But I get it, you do take a lot of **** here.

Reactions: mstateglfr
Nov 25, 2019

totally agree.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login