Nick Saban or Kirby Smart would not win here at State under the current NIL format.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
I see all these names being thrown out here after we move on from Arnett, but it’s just more of the same illogical insane mindset. You cannot expect to be competitive with the rest of the SEC, running similar styles of offense and defense, if you’re not spending the same or close to the same kind of money on players in recruiting, current players, and transfer portal players. If you’re not going to have or spend the money then what are we doing with throwing out these coaches who basically do and run what everyone sees every week, except with better players! Think outside the box, similar to what the academies do to try and neutralize the talent gap. It doesn’t have to be the true triple option, but some kind of system that is different than the norm is what we’re looking for here. Anyone remember getting whooped in bowl games by Air Force? How about Georgia Tech? Who had more talent in those games? Also note, that Leavh was a true out of norm system guy, just in the air vs the ground. What I’m saying is that until y’all accept who we are in this new landscape of college football, and start throwing out actual realistic names that fit this unorthodox style play, a coach that brings and runs a system different than what the rest of the SEC sees every week, then we are just beginning to enter an endless hamster wheel of losing headed toward the bottom of the barrel of the conference by basically doing the same thing over and over again but with different coaches.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I agree! Billy Napier would have been a bust here and he knew it. Leach knew he could be successful because he was everywhere with lesser talent. He kept opponents defenses on the field and ours off for the most part. We do need an innovative coach. I had hopes Arnett would be the guy but those hopes have grown dim. Mullen beat teams that had better talent. The Florida win at Florida was a great example.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
And yet, Lane Kiffin is winning just up the road at a school with very similar resources, and Mike Leach managed to win 9 last year. But Saban & Smart couldn’t win her. Yeah, right.
Every year like he does at Alabama?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I see all these names being thrown out here after we move on from Arnett, but it’s just more of the same illogical insane mindset. You cannot expect to be competitive with the rest of the SEC, running similar styles of offense and defense, if you’re not spending the same or close to the same kind of money on players in recruiting, current players, and transfer portal players. If you’re not going to have or spend the money then what are we doing with throwing out these coaches who basically do and run what everyone sees every week, except with better players! Think outside the box, similar to what the academies do to try and neutralize the talent gap. It doesn’t have to be the true triple option, but some kind of system that is different than the norm is what we’re looking for here. Anyone remember getting whooped in bowl games by Air Force? How about Georgia Tech? Who had more talent in those games? Also note, that Leavh was a true out of norm system guy, just in the air vs the ground. What I’m saying is that until y’all accept who we are in this new landscape of college football, and start throwing out actual realistic names that fit this unorthodox style play, a coach that brings and runs a system different than what the rest of the SEC sees every week, then we are just beginning to enter an endless hamster wheel of losing headed toward the bottom of the barrel of the conference by basically doing the same thing over and over again but with different coaches.
You do realize Bama and UGA have been cheating their asses off for years? We were probably at a bigger disadvantage when everything was under the table.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I really like the idea of Troy Calhoun or another triple option HC with the assumption that they would modernize it. Essentially, a Relf Coast offense but with a focus on triple option rather than read option. Maybe 65-70% run with 15 or so pass attempts per game. Most likely would be run out of a shotgun/pistol base set. Will Hall ran the flexbone occasionally at Tulane with some success.

It might be hard to find OL that can do both, but triple option has always been the great equalizer of talent. And hopefully because of the more balanced option approach, it wouldn’t be as much of a transition after the HC leaves.

Reactions: Will Rogers.sixpack

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
And yet, Lane Kiffin is winning just up the road at a school with very similar resources, and Mike Leach managed to win 9 last year. But Saban & Smart couldn’t win her. Yeah, right.
Similar resources? I still would assume that they are definitely spending way more more than us for players, wether it be recruits, current players, and transfer players. But to the point, Kiffin runs somewhat if a “system”. Mike leach runs an extremely out of the norm system that our opponents didn’t see every week, and that was our advantage in neutralizing the talent gap with Leach. I’m saying if Saban and Smart were here, they couldn’t run their basic traditional vanilla offenses and defenses and still be as successful doing it with our talent pool.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Saban would be a normal coach without his high dollar athletes. I doubt he would have done any better than Mullen unless he had convinced boosters to do the same they did at LSU and Alabama. Not likely here.
Saban and Mullen are a lot more similar than people think in their coaching styles.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
I think what people want (myself included) is an offensive minded coach with a name/reputation. Somebody that will get looks from qb's and wide receivers. OM is showing that offense is where the game is at. Leach did this for us. Its true that we are not going to out muscle or out spend the bama's and lsu's of the world, but with a good offense we could at least hang with them (see om/lsu). This at the very least creates an exciting product, win lose or draw. We have zero to be excited about right now, and that will only get worse if we retain ZA. We need a name BECAUSE we dont have the NIL that other teams have.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think what people want (myself included) is an offensive minded coach with a name/reputation. Somebody that will get looks from qb's and wide receivers. OM is showing that offense is where the game is at. Leach did this for us. Its true that we are not going to out muscle or out spend the bama's and lsu's of the world, but with a good offense we could at least hang with them (see om/lsu). This at the very least creates an exciting product, win lose or draw. We have zero to be excited about right now, and that will only get worse if we retain ZA. We need a name BECAUSE we dont have the NIL that other teams have.
Well we had Leach and people still weren't happy. We were signing good QBs and WRs, but kinda slacking elsewhere. It really sucks because we were on the right track. We would have likely gone 8-4 or 9-3 this year with Leach, then the next 4 years we would have built up to another peak.

But obviously our fanbase never appreciated it, all we said was RuN dA bAwL!1. So that's what we will eventually get.

Last edited:

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I really like the idea of Troy Calhoun or another triple option HC with the assumption that they would modernize it. Essentially, a Relf Coast offense but with a focus on triple option rather than read option. Maybe 65-70% run with 15 or so pass attempts per game. Most likely would be run out of a shotgun/pistol base set. Will Hall ran the flexbone occasionally at Tulane with some success.

It might be hard to find OL that can do both, but triple option has always been the great equalizer of talent. And hopefully because of the more balanced option approach, it wouldn’t be as much of a transition after the HC leaves.
Triple option would get shut down and ran out of town in this conference. If none of you can see that a strong passing game is key then you have no eyes and/or no brains.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Are you impressed with Dart or any other QB that Kiffin has recruited?

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I'm pretty impressed with Dart. If you're trying to imply that Kiffin isn't a good offensive coach, well, I don't think you're going to get very far with that one.
I’m saying Kiffin isn’t out there pulling in blue chip QBs. They have gotten worse since his first and second year.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Disagree. If Nick Saban came here tomorrow, we would compete for a national championship in 3 years. We would win it. And then.... Nick Saban would go down as the undisputed best football coach of all time, regardless of any arguments made against him for some other coach.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
You do realize Bama and UGA have been cheating their asses off for years? We were probably at a bigger disadvantage when everything was under the table.
Bigger disadvantage for the 5 star kids, sure. But now we are getting NIL request from low 3 star kids.
And trust me, every single recruit in the country is asking for money, and they want a lot.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m saying Kiffin isn’t out there pulling in blue chip QBs. They have gotten worse since his first and second year.
Spencer Sanders was a 4 star at Oklahoma State and multi-year starter.
Walker Howard was a 4 star LSU signee with offers from everybody.
Jaxson Dart was a 4 star starter at USC.
Luke Altmeyer was a 4 star with good offers.

They've also got a 3 star committed so I can see where you might say that their high school recruiting has been the same ole, but their portal lands have been outstanding. And like it or not, the portal is reality now.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Triple option would get shut down and ran out of town in this conference. If none of you can see that a strong passing game is key then you have no eyes and/or no brains.
I think I was pretty clear in saying not a triple option like the service academies or Georgia Tech.

I'm talking about a modified option based offense that incorporates the passing game. The service academies run the flexbone because they have to. They cannot consistently get a QB that can throw better than the average WR/RB and the lineman essentially have a max weight. We don't have those restrictions.

And it is absolutely possible to have a good offense based on a great run game and a serviceable passing game. That's what we had Mullen's last 2 years with Fitz. The triple option is the best offense for neutralizing talent gaps. We've had so many QBs that are great runners and serviceable passers, and only one that I would consider a great passer. A "triple option 2.0" that forces the defense to respect the pass (again, say 30% pass) and run out of the pistol/shotgun is not that crazy of an idea on paper.

Until we start showing that we can recruit/develop great passing QBs, we don't need a pass first offense.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Spencer Sanders was a 4 star at Oklahoma State and multi-year starter.
Walker Howard was a 4 star LSU signee with offers from everybody.
Jaxson Dart was a 4 star starter at USC.
Luke Altmeyer was a 4 star with good offers.

They've also got a 3 star committed so I can see where you might say that their high school recruiting has been the same ole, but their portal lands have been outstanding. And like it or not, the portal is reality now.
Where are those QBs now? They aren’t starting in the SEC except for Dart. Kiffin isn’t impressive as some of you people seem to think. They have gotten worse over time, not better.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Where are those QBs now? They aren’t starting in the SEC except for Dart. Kiffin isn’t impressive as some of you people seem to think. They have gotten worse over time, not better.
You just keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile, Kiffin's record is 27-14 (15-12). You can deny it all you want, but the fact is he's a pretty damn good coach.

Reactions: Ddog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
He has a little bit more money than we do to spend on players so he can buy several and see who works and who doesn't.

Compare that to how we have recruited in the past you'll see a definite difference.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Only 1 can start. Two are on the bench watching Dart.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Reactions: BigDawg0074

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What good did that NIL do just a short 5 games ago when they lost 5 of last 6 games, including to little ole cow college MOO U?
Ole Miss has always spent more in recruiting than us. These are just facts. We've bought a few players over the years, and that's fine - that's how we roll. We're a little more reserved and strategic with it. That's why we have to be more innovative with our X's and O's. Even with Dan Mullen - I don't think anyone would call him a system coach, but what he wanted to do with QBs was definitely unique.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I think I was pretty clear in saying not a triple option like the service academies or Georgia Tech.

I'm talking about a modified option based offense that incorporates the passing game. The service academies run the flexbone because they have to. They cannot consistently get a QB that can throw better than the average WR/RB and the lineman essentially have a max weight. We don't have those restrictions.

And it is absolutely possible to have a good offense based on a great run game and a serviceable passing game. That's what we had Mullen's last 2 years with Fitz. The triple option is the best offense for neutralizing talent gaps. We've had so many QBs that are great runners and serviceable passers, and only one that I would consider a great passer. A "triple option 2.0" that forces the defense to respect the pass (again, say 30% pass) and run out of the pistol/shotgun is not that crazy of an idea on paper.

Until we start showing that we can recruit/develop great passing QBs, we don't need a pass first offense.
Gotta be honest, your description sounds a lot like Barbay’s offense.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
You just keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile, Kiffin's record is 27-14 (15-12). You can deny it all you want, but the fact is he's a pretty damn good coach.
He’s a little above .500 in the conference. Wow, I’m stunned! He’s a shoe-in for Bama no doubt.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Disagree. If Nick Saban came here tomorrow, we would compete for a national championship in 3 years. We would win it. And then.... Nick Saban would go down as the undisputed best football coach of all time, regardless of any arguments made against him for some other coach.
and then the next year he would go 9-4 and half of the board would want him gone

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login