NMSU basketball

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
Player killed someone in "self defense" and various members of the coaching staff had that weapon before turning it over to police. Gonna get real ugly there.
Then on top of that, new hazing allegations.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Good lord. What kind of violations of "school policy" would warrant basically shutting down the season? The university is saying that this is unrelated to the shooting incident. One of the players KILLED A GUY (legally IMO, but still) and the season didn't stop. I shudder to think of what they did to make this happen.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Good lord. What kind of violations of "school policy" would warrant basically shutting down the season? The university is saying that this is unrelated to the shooting incident. One of the players KILLED A GUY (legally IMO, but still) and the season didn't stop. I shudder to think of what they did to make this happen.
No ****

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm betting it's at least partly related to the shooting incident, despite what they say. Whatever it is, it's not good. The coach wasn't there until after Jans left, but a lot of the players were. As of now, none of this ties back to him. Hopefully, it will stay that way.

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
They say it's been a **** show since the guy who replaced Jans arrived and with good reason. He coached under Larry Eustachy, Gregg Marshalll, and Will Wade. What a combination of sleaze balls.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I'm betting it's at least partly related to the shooting incident, despite what they say. Whatever it is, it's not good. The coach wasn't there until after Jans left, but a lot of the players were. As of now, none of this ties back to him. Hopefully, it will stay that way.
Heiar, their head coach, was rumored to be on Jans’ staff here until he got the NMSU job

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

MSU Grad

Mar 17, 2022
Heiar played for Jans at Kirkwood CC and they coached together at several stops. And Heiar placed Jans at Chipola just like he did at NMSU. Probably at Jans’ recommendation. Hope none of current stink from NMSU ends up on Jans.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Heiar played for Jans at Kirkwood CC and they coached together at several stops. And Heiar placed Jans at Chipola just like he did at NMSU. Probably at Jans’ recommendation. Hope none of current stink from NMSU ends up on Jans.
I don’t see how it possibly could. Only two players returned from last years NMSU team, and one of them was the one involved in the self defense shooting. This latest incident is a hazing incident involving players who Jans never coached.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
They say it's been a **** show since the guy who replaced Jans arrived and with good reason. He coached under Larry Eustachy, Gregg Marshalll, and Will Wade. What a combination of sleaze balls.
Heiar, their head coach, was rumored to be on Jans’ staff here until he got the NMSU job

Jans coached Heiar in JUCO ball (and won a National D2 JUCO title) and they’ve had several coaching stops together.

So Heiar was seen as an outside candidate with strong Jans ties with success (he coached the most recent D1 JUCO champs). Considering NMSU’s position, I initially thought that Heiar was an outstanding hire for them…

And to have all THIS happen???

Ah. Germansed by @MSU Grad who provides more details…

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I’m pretty sure Jans’ top choice for the NMSU job was for them to promote Miller who is now our associate head coach

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
Jans' only connection to
He did play for Jans at Kirkwood. He coached with him for one year at Chipola JC, and for two years when Heiar was an assistant at Wichita St, and Jans was a Special Assistant(this was after the Bowling Green incident). That's not a lot of coaching together.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login