No argument here

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The Cleftate is so incredibly stupid.

State is such a generic term. Dr Pepper uses "State" for a fictional university.

Michigan State has used a very similar logo since the 1970s.

A cursive word for a logo.... what imagination.*

Look y'all are getting played to buy more shirts and hats. I ain't buying that stupid *** Cleftate.
1. In the south we are already known as STATE, sports wise
2. Mississippi State is too long and doesn't roll of the tongue (plus "Mississippi" has a negative connotation and is last in just about everything good and first is most things bad)
3. MS State or Miss State are both horrible
4. No other big time athletic program uses STATE
5. STATE projects power, Secretary of State, State Department, State of the Union, All State, etc.
6. The mom in the DR commercials is a serious hottie.
7. STATE should be above the numbers on football jerseys.
8. We should be known as state, but the graphic on our helmet should be the ferocious bulldog head.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
1. In the south we are already known as STATE, sports wise
2. Mississippi State is too long and doesn't roll of the tongue (plus "Mississippi" has a negative connotation and is last in just about everything good and first is most things bad)
3. MS State or Miss State are both horrible
4. No other big time athletic program uses STATE
5. STATE projects power, Secretary of State, State Department, State of the Union, All State, etc.
6. The mom in the DR commercials is a serious hottie.
7. STATE should be above the numbers on football jerseys.
8. We should be known as state, but the graphic on our helmet should be the ferocious bulldog head.
You will hear "State" all over the country. In SEC country, you are probably correct. Some in FL may think you are talking about FSU. But in the rest of America, "State" will mean the local state college assuming there is a prominent one.

I use to go hunting in the Midwest all the time. Many say "state" when referring to their state university. When they speak to an out-of-towner they will typically say Kansas State or Iowa State to not confuse you, but when they are talking to one another, they will say "State".

I think there is a window of opportunity to "steal" the State moniker and make it more of our own. As you mentioned, no other state school is really leaning into the STATE logo/name, but we need to put it on the helmet.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Hey OP.... boycott these places ...

That’s the weird thing about the banner. I think it looks absolutely awesome on the football field and the basketball court. Also looks great on stationary, documents, street signs, etc. it just looks like arse on football helmets, hats, shirts, etc. it’s like that Seinfeld episode where jerry was dating that girl who looked smoking hot some of the time and ugly as heck the rest

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
You will hear "State" all over the country. In SEC country, you are probably correct. Some in FL may think you are talking about FSU. But in the rest of America, "State" will mean the local state college assuming there is a prominent one.

I use to go hunting in the Midwest all the time. Many say "state" when referring to their state university. When they speak to an out-of-towner they will typically say Kansas State or Iowa State to not confuse you, but when they are talking to one another, they will say "State".

I think there is a window of opportunity to "steal" the State moniker and make it more of our own. As you mentioned, no other state school is really leaning into the STATE logo/name, but we need to put it on the helmet.
I'm referring to big time athletic programs, not Montana State type programs. No one in FL refers to Florida State as State, it's either FSU or Florida State. No one refers to LSU as State, no one refers to Penn State as State. No one in OK refers to OK State as State. One one refers to Ohio State as State. No sure about Michigan State?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Is a hot dog a sammich? How about a taco??
A hot dog is when the bread splits. No to the taco (don't usually say that)... But a quesadilla is a sammy in my book. 2 pieces of bread and you are making a sandwich.

Last edited:
Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
A hot dog is when the bread splits. Not to the taco (don't usually say that)... But a quesadilla is a sammy in my book. 2 pieces of bread and you are making a sandwich.
We got a local place that will take a German/Polish dog, slice it down the middle and griddle it, then put on a hogie with all your toppings. I like that so much better than a traditional hotdog with lots of toppings, i.e. a Chicago dog. So messy.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I'm referring to big time athletic programs, not Montana State type programs. No one in FL refers to Florida State as State, it's either FSU or Florida State. No one refers to LSU as State, no one refers to Penn State as State. No one in OK refers to OK State as State. One one refers to Ohio State as State. No sure about Michigan State?
Clef tate is a total rip off of Michigan St logo

Reactions: Dawgzilla2

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
If our logo is the worst in the SEC, then why is Michigan's not the worst in the BIG? I guess a single letter is worse than a letter with a banner?

If that's true, then at least our logo is not the worst one on the entire list. But how is our logo worse than Bama's? Or Kentucky? Or Vandy?

Reactions: Maroon13

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I work with Penn State, Mich State, and Flordua State grads, they all refer to my team as State.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I work with Penn State, Mich State, and Flordua State grads, they all refer to my team as State.
So do I (work for an organization that's all over the country - 50K employees) please know tons of folks from all over form my military days, and what you posted above is not the norm at all, especially for PSU and FSU - you know, absolutely no refers to Penn State as State. Don't know about Michigan State (I actually deployed with a group of guard guys from Michigan in 2011, but don't remember ever talking MSU).

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login