No idea about this

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
On paper we should feel pretty good about our chances against illinois so why do I have concerns? Several reasons.

1) The opt out unknown. We will likely have several players opt out of the game to protect draft status. For that matter they might have some too. Just no telling how that will affect play.
2) The bowl game let down. We have a recent history of not taking bowl games very seriously. Lost 3 of the last 4 and was completely embarrassed by TT last year.
3) Our offense struggles this season against semi-competent defenses.

All we can do is get out there and see what happens. GO DOGS!

Reactions: Dawgg

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
On paper we should feel pretty good about our chances against illinois so why do I have concerns? Several reasons.

1) The opt out unknown. We will likely have several players opt out of the game to protect draft status. For that matter they might have some too. Just no telling how that will affect play.
2) The bowl game let down. We have a recent history of not taking bowl games very seriously. Lost 3 of the last 4 and was completely embarrassed by TT last year.

I expect that we see a piss poor offensive performance from our squad. I hope to be wrong, but Illinois is very stout on that side of the ball and history suggests that's not great for us. They also have something else that is kryptonite for our defense: a mobile QB.

We are more talented, I think, but this is not a game any rational State fan should feel good about on paper. On paper, it's a terrible match up for us. But hey, we'll see what happens.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Looking at their schedule and scores, I will be impressed if we beat them. They list to Michigan by 2 and Purdue by 7. They blew several teams out. As usual they will be more excited to play than us

Reactions: Dawgg

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Looking at their schedule and scores, I will be impressed if we beat them. They list to Michigan by 2 and Purdue by 7. They blew several teams out. As usual they will be more excited to play than us
We better bring our Mentality!

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

On paper, I honestly don’t like our chances at all. We’ve played 4 games this year against Top 50 defenses. UGA, Bama, UK, and LSU. In those games, we’ve averaged around 280 yds of total offense, 50 yds on the ground, and Will’s QBR has been about a 50.

We don’t do well against good defenses, and on paper, Illinois is as good if not better than everyone I mentioned above. If we’re looking for hope, Arnett will once again be the guy that’s gonna have to come through

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
They lost to the only MSU they played this year. They only blew out three teams Wyoming, Chattanooga and Northwestern.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
On paper, I honestly don’t like our chances at all. We’ve played 4 games this year against Top 50 defenses. UGA, Bama, UK, and LSU. In those games, we’ve averaged around 280 yds of total offense, 50 yds on the ground, and Will’s QBR has been about a 50.

We don’t do well against good defenses, and on paper, Illinois is as good if not better than everyone I mentioned above. If we’re looking for hope, Arnett will once again be the guy that’s gonna have to come through
Illini vs State ESPN Predictor

I like our chances. We've beaten Arkansas consistently with Bielema as the head coach. They are very good against the run but they won't see much of that against us. We are very good against the run and did a great job against Ole Miss' vaunted running game. They do a good job passing as well which is not very Bielema style football. I think we will have a good gameplan on both sides of the ball. We will be hungry after losing last years bowl game with a depleted roster.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Illini vs State ESPN Predictor

We've beaten Arkansas consistently with Bielema as the head coach.
What in the world does that have to do with this matchup? Mullen was the coach and we had totally different personnel.

That said, this game is a coin flip. I see it a lot like the Egg Bowl.

I really hope our offense does something. I think showing some signs of life there would help keep Arnett in place. He's got to be tired of bailing us out.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
What in the world does that have to do with this matchup? Mullen was the coach and we had totally different personnel.

That said, this game is a coin flip. I see it a lot like the Egg Bowl.

I really hope our offense does something. I think showing some signs of life there would help keep Arnett in place. He's got to be tired of bailing us out.
I was trying to demonstrate that Bielema ran a mid-tier SEC program with the statement about how we did against him. He seems to do better in the Big 10. It will be an interesting game. One reporter said it was one of the most intriguing of the bowls because it was a run first vs pass first offensive battle.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Just checked the line and it's a pick em on DraftKings with a O/U of 45. I think it'll be a low scoring affair. I just don't see us moving the ball well at all on a solid D. Hopefully with all the guys coming back in our front 7, our d will keep us in it.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I see it as a time of possession battle. Probably low scoring. Vegas sees it as low scoring.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Bowl games are a crapshoot which makes sense since it's easy to misspell Bowels.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I think STATE learned a lot about how good they can be in Oxford and will carry that on to a victory against IL. If IL's Defensive Stats were in the SEC I'd be worried some and I think our Defense is gonna put our offense in good situations.

Reactions: WilCoDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login