North Carolina player eligibility

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
As if Mac is concerned about the young man's well being. Mac is only concerned about the young man being able to help the team win.
Is a guy that has been at Kent State and NC Central really that important to Mac Brown's ability to win this year? I am thinking this is him actually just being pissed that the NCAA is yet again doing something to harm a student athlete for no particular benefit. It'd be one thing if the NCAA just uniformly applied its rules and was callous to the actual impacts. But the NCAA routinely bends the rules for certain programs and then still goes out of their way to punish student athletes even when other teams competing against him don't care. They're basically like the guy that beats his dog because his wife constantly runs around on him.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
What’s the premise behind him deserving immediate eligibility? Haven’t been following.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
What’s the premise behind him deserving immediate eligibility? Haven’t been following.

He went to NC Cental for 2 years. Both of those seasons were cancelled so he never played. He went to kent for a year. UNC is trying to claim he only played at 1 school so he should be eligible to transfer without sitting out.

I haven't followed it much but that seems to be their argument.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Also it is claimed he has mental health issues and moved back to North Carolina to be near his family and sick grandmother. His other two schools did say he has been in mental health counseling at both schools and wrote the NCAA requesting that he be allowed to play.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
There's no such thing as "deserving" or "not deserving" immediately eligibility in the first place. Regular students don't have to sit a year when they transfer. Regular people don't have to sit a year when they change jobs. Within college football, coaches and staff members don't have to sit a year when they change schools, and a lot of times (correlating with how prestigious a football program is), players don't have to even in situations where the rules say they do. The NCAA very brazenly plays favorites, and it's time to abandon it for a new organization directly run by the schools.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
There's no such thing as "deserving" or "not deserving" immediately eligibility in the first place. Regular students don't have to sit a year when they transfer. Regular people don't have to sit a year when they change jobs. Within college football, coaches and staff members don't have to sit a year when they change schools, and a lot of times (correlating with how prestigious a football program is), players don't have to even in situations where the rules say they do. The NCAA very brazenly plays favorites, and it's time to abandon it for a new organization directly run by the schools.
What I meant was why would he be able to go to a 3rd school without sitting out. Seems to have been answered.

Don’t disagree about NCAA playing favorites and being useless, but its “wild west” enough as it is with the current transfer rules (which is also the NCAA’s fault). And spare me the line about “regular students”. They don’t get into very good schools and a get a full ride with an 18 on their ACT, either. And regular people don’t get paid 6 and 7 figures to play a kid’s game either.

All that said, it seems like this kid should be able to play, and its a shame that he isn’t.

Reactions: GomJabbar

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
I’m at a point these teams just need to ignore the ncaa and their all over the place rules
I think this is coming. And I think the recent conference “realignments” [sic] (more like conferences acting as companies buying assets/teams to just sell them off again in a few years) indicates an impending reconsolidation where the four power conference owners form a board and secede as one.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
He went to NC Cental for 2 years. Both of those seasons were cancelled so he never played. He went to kent for a year. UNC is trying to claim he only played at 1 school so he should be eligible to transfer without sitting out.

Once you start school your clock starts. five to play four unless you were around during covid. He should have transferred.

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
I was traveling through North Carolina yesterday and heard someone from UNC on sports radio.

The main argument he made was the hypocrisy of the NCAA allowing someone like JT Daniels to be in his 6th season at a 4th school having played and started in each of the 6 seasons versus this kid given his seasons were cancelled at NC Central at COVID.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

patdog

May 28, 2007
I was traveling through North Carolina yesterday and heard someone from UNC on sports radio.

The main argument he made was the hypocrisy of the NCAA allowing someone like JT Daniels to be in his 6th season at a 4th school having played and started in each of the 6 seasons versus this kid given his seasons were cancelled at NC Central at COVID.
The next JT Daniels is what the new rules were put in place to prevent. Requiring a player to sit a year for his 2nd transfer in 2 years isn't putting an undue burden on the players.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
He went to NC Cental for 2 years. Both of those seasons were cancelled so he never played. He went to kent for a year.

TV announcers also said the entire Kent State staff left after last season assuming I heard correctly. Don’t know if they were fired or left for greener pastures

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
As if Mac is concerned about the young man's well being. Mac is only concerned about the young man being able to help the team win.
Yep. The hypocrisy is laughable.

The next JT Daniels is what the new rules were put in place to prevent. Requiring a player to sit a year for his 2nd transfer in 2 years isn't putting an undue burden on the players.
And not only that, it appears Daniels just got lucky. It happens in life. I am not sure how he managed to go from USC to Georgia in 2020, because that was before the immediate eligibility rule. But, he made it happen, good for him. Considering that one didn't count, he used his immediate transfer to go from Georgia to West Virginia. He then graduated, now he can go to Rice. Not to mention he's a COVID guy that got a 6th year. But bottom line JT Daniels is NOT an example for others to follow, obviously.

This is why I feel ZERO remorse for these overpaid, whiny coaches. They only care about themselves, even Lord Saban and Dinosaur Dabo. This sort of thing makes me like Prime even more, at least he's honest about it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
What I meant was why would he be able to go to a 3rd school without sitting out. Seems to have been answered.

Don’t disagree about NCAA playing favorites and being useless, but its “wild west” enough as it is with the current transfer rules (which is also the NCAA’s fault). And spare me the line about “regular students”. They don’t get into very good schools and a get a full ride with an 18 on their ACT, either. And regular people don’t get paid 6 and 7 figures to play a kid’s game either.

All that said, it seems like this kid should be able to play, and its a shame that he isn’t.
I think my biggest beef is that a lot of these players were in the portal before the NCAA changed their guidelines and started cracking down. These guys did what was considered “the right thing” to protect their eligibility and the NCAA just pulled it out from under them. Very likely, these players would not have transferred if it meant foregoing their final year of playing.

Whatever anyone’s feelings are about the rules, the fact is that they changed midstream for a lot of players after they were past the point of no return and that’s not right.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login