Northwestern fires Fitzgerald…

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Not shocked based on what I've read so far. Better hope he can find work in the NFL because I can't imagine a college or even a high school hiring him.

If I remember correctly it wasn't too long ago he was a hot name to get a better gig than Northwestern.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Just another example of a spineless president caving to bad publicity. A six month investigation led to a two week suspension, but as soon as the allegedly abused player went public, then all of a sudden, “omg, we’ve got to fire him.” I don’t care one way or the other but Northwestern knew all the facts of the case when they suspended him two weeks. Nothing changed in the next few days other than the player went to the press. If you’re going to fire him, fire him. Don’t wait a few days when you think you’ll get some bad publicity. That’s spineless and cowardice.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
They had 11 players come forward… a lot transpired in the last a few days.
He was fired… I say they had just cause and plenty of it. Why? NW is A top ten law school in the US.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Failure to Prevent Hazing, @jethreauxdawg

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
So I just read through some of the details of the hazing, and being that I didn’t play football past the 6th grade, I’ve gotta ask some of you former athletes…

Is this sort of locker room, um… behavior… normal? I can’t say that making a dude crawl around naked on the floor or forcing him to bend over and get dry humped are things that I’d have ever come up with for a good laugh

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
So I just read through some of the details of the hazing, and being that I didn’t play football past the 6th grade, I’ve gotta ask some of you former athletes…

Is this sort of locker room, um… behavior… normal? I can’t say that making a dude crawl around naked on the floor or forcing him to bend over and get dry humped are things that I’d have ever come up with for a good laugh
I stopped playing football in 10th grade (once I started getting recruited a little bit in baseball) but played baseball all the way up to the D2 level for a couple of years. I never saw anything quite like what you typed

Reactions: patdog

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022

Not thru 4 years of HS and college did I ever witness anything like that and id classify it as abnormal.
Did PF knowingly let it happen and continue on his watch?
Have no idea but Id be surprised if he did know about it OR if it was anything close to being as bad as alleged.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

Did he recruit Myles Hartsfield?

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I had no idea that's what a "car wash" actually was and that somehow it was supposed to be beneficial to a college football team. To me that seems like a weird way to build camaraderie and team unity but what do I know really know about coaching in the Big Ten. Coach Fitz: "Neither of you weakass wussies sacked the quarterback. At halftime you two need to head to the lockerroom and rub your balls against each other to get ready for the second half." WTF, was going on there? Northwestern has a beautiful campus, it's a prestigious university, its endowment is huge but how much NIL can they award to get players to put up with that.

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Certainly a lot of weird $h1t but I bet you’d be surprised at some of the stuff you see in locker room of 80 plus ncaa football players. At all P5 schools.

TilloDwg

Aug 25, 2012
He's about to get paid....8 years left on that 10 year deal. Not to mention nobody came forward with any proof he actually knew any of this was going on after a 6 month investigation. The president and AD neither showed up in person for the announcement.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

We didn't have hazing in football, just the FFA. We never made you this kind of crazy ****. You might have to lay on your back in the middle of the schoolyard, kick your feet and arms, and holler, "I'm a dying cockroach!" Maybe ask some girl in the schoolyard to marry you, then start singing, "You Are My Sunshine." Pranks

If they had asked you to crawl naked and get dry-humped, they would have gotten their asses kicked off the team. That's not hazing.

Every generation seems to need to ratchet it up another notch until it gets ludicrous.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
We didn't have hazing in football, just the FFA. We never made you this kind of crazy ****. You might have to lay on your back in the middle of the schoolyard, kick your feet and arms, and holler, "I'm a dying cockroach!" Maybe ask some girl in the schoolyard to marry you, then start singing, "You Are My Sunshine." Pranks

If they had asked you to crawl naked and get dry-humped, they would have gotten their asses kicked off the team. That's not hazing.

Every generation seems to need to ratchet it up another notch until it gets ludicrous.
You got hazed in future farmers of America?

Reactions: Anon1678592419

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012

Hazing was pretty normal in the 80’s and 90’s in the south, especially for football and baseball. Weird superstitions and traditions would carry over from year to year…

I’m not taking up for it…..I was 17ed with pretty hard at our little catholic school.

but in my day, snitches got a plastic water bottle shoved in the face, full of farts…..or held down and the worst titty twister imaginable……I think I got flicked in the nuts a couple times “Cup check”

Cup of water dumped over the stall as I was shitting. Stuff like that.

Now fraternity initiation was a little different story but thank god no one had camera phone worth a 17

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You got hazed in future farmers of America?
It was the biggest and most prestigious club in my little county school in the late 70s. Tiny town.

The 'hazing" was all in fun, but the Freshmens/Greenhands went through it. Come to think of it; we were the last group of Freshmen that went through it.

Never drove a tractor but I was in the FFA.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Hazing was pretty normal in the 80’s and 90’s in the south, especially for football and baseball. Weird superstitions and traditions would carry over from year to year…

I’m not taking up for it…..I was 17ed with pretty hard at our little catholic school.

but in my day, snitches got a plastic water bottle shoved in the face, full of farts…..or held down and the worst titty twister imaginable……I think I got flicked in the nuts a couple times “Cup check”

Cup of water dumped over the stall as I was shitting. Stuff like that.

Now fraternity initiation was a little different story but thank god no one had camera phone worth a 17
All of this.

I don’t really have a problem with him snitching either though. But man up and don’t run to the media after the fact. Do something about it while it’s going on.

Most fraternities wouldn’t call a lot of that hazing. They’d just call it weird.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Certainly a lot of weird $h1t but I bet you’d be surprised at some of the stuff you see in locker room of 80 plus ncaa football players. At all P5 schools.
Nothing compared to what I had to do to be initiated into a fraternity at Miss. State. Back in the day.......it was really tough. I remember once, when it snowed in "Hell Week" I and others had to sprint naked with snow on the ground between two rows of frat brothers while they threw snowballs at us like it was dodge ball. Luckily, none hit me in the exposed package area. There were many other bad activities that were performed even worse. One had to end up calling an ambulance to take an injured pledge to the hospital, Not gonna describe other hazing activities or the frat involved, but it felt like the longest week in my life. I don't think they even let us sleep during that week.....falling asleep during classes was about the only way to get a little shut eye. I hear nowadays, it's not near as bad as several have died at other frats around the nation and the universities are cracking down on hazing.

Reactions: paindonthurt

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I only played up to high school and the only hazing we had was bull in the ring.

I wouldn't even call that hazing; more questionable practice drills than anything else. The trick was to pick out the biggest sumbitches first, get it over with and gain their respect, then "punish" your friend with your last pick.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Some of the most openly homosexual places in America are sports team’s locker rooms.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

We had to do a version of this to join the lettermen's club in high school, among many other disgusting things.

Two ice blocks stacked on top of each other like a stool. A small hole was chipped into the ice. A large green olive was placed in the hole on the ice. You had to "clench" your cheeks and pick up the olive from the ice blocks. You then had to walk the length of the locker room w/ olive firmly embedded and hidden in your valley, squat down and drop the olive into a styrofoam coffee cup. If you were successful you were done. Anyone that dropped the olive though at any point i.e. pick up, walk of shame, and drop (there were many) had to then pick it up and drop it in another single cup. At the end, the common cup was shaken and everyone that had dropped an olive had to choose one from the common cup and eat that olive that had just recently been removed from someone else grand canyon. I was the first to go and thank you baby Jesus was successful at my task. Hardest part was dropping that olive blindly into the cup w/out hitting the rim of it and knocking styrofoam cup over, not hitting the cup when you squatted with feet butt etc, and just squaring up on it and dropping it dead center. The ice was damn cold too on your jewels while trying to clench the olive initially. Good times though, I got my revenge on the next group of pledges in the Spring which was all a bunch of track, baseball and basketball lightweights. There were a lot of them that dropped out during pledge week.

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I stopped playing football in 10th grade (once I started getting recruited a little bit in baseball) but played baseball all the way up to the D2 level for a couple of years. I never saw anything quite like what you typed
I went through some really serious hazing at Parris Island, but they were getting us ready to kill not play football.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Nothing compared to what I had to do to be initiated into a fraternity at Miss. State. Back in the day.......it was really tough. I remember once, when it snowed in "Hell Week" I and others had to sprint naked with snow on the ground between two rows of frat brothers while they threw snowballs at us like it was dodge ball. Luckily, none hit me in the exposed package area. There were many other bad activities that were performed even worse. One had to end up calling an ambulance to take an injured pledge to the hospital, Not gonna describe other hazing activities or the frat involved, but it felt like the longest week in my life. I don't think they even let us sleep during that week.....falling asleep during classes was about the only way to get a little shut eye. I hear nowadays, it's not near as bad as several have died at other frats around the nation and the universities are cracking down on hazing.
And people wonder why so many Frat Boys ended up being gay. 😳

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016

Call me naive but I had just assumed hazing had kinda gone by the wayside after I went through high school.

The closest thing to hazing that I saw when I was at State was the freshman all had to sing the fight song during fall camp. That was it. Literally. I give Mullen some crap from time to time but he never cultivated a culture of hazing so I do give him credit there.

This Northwestern hazing stuff is odd to say the least. Fitzgerald actually recruited me when I was in high school. Flew us up to Northwestern during the summer and everything. Cool trip.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
We had to do a version of this to join the lettermen's club in high school, among many other disgusting things.

Two ice blocks stacked on top of each other like a stool. A small hole was chipped into the ice. A large green olive was placed in the hole on the ice. You had to "clench" your cheeks and pick up the olive from the ice blocks. You then had to walk the length of the locker room w/ olive firmly embedded and hidden in your valley, squat down and drop the olive into a styrofoam coffee cup. If you were successful you were done. Anyone that dropped the olive though at any point i.e. pick up, walk of shame, and drop (there were many) had to then pick it up and drop it in another single cup. At the end, the common cup was shaken and everyone that had dropped an olive had to choose one from the common cup and eat that olive that had just recently been removed from someone else grand canyon. I was the first to go and thank you baby Jesus was successful at my task. Hardest part was dropping that olive blindly into the cup w/out hitting the rim of it and knocking styrofoam cup over, not hitting the cup when you squatted with feet but etc, and just squaring up on it and dropping it dead center. The ice was damn cold too on your jewels while trying to clench the olive initially. Good times though, I got my revenge on the next group of pledges in the Spring which was all a bunch of track, baseball and basketball lightweights. There were a lot of them that dropped out during pledge week.
GIF by Zack Kantor

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
He hired a lawyer that charges $2k/hour. If you're wondering why he would pay so much for a lawyer, there is $42m left on his contract.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Didn't tsun sign a guy who got off on sticking his finger up freshman azzes? Or is that standard protocol up there?

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Call me naive but I had just assumed hazing had kinda gone by the wayside after I went through high school.

The closest thing to hazing that I saw when I was at State was the freshman all had to sing the fight song during fall camp. That was it. Literally. I give Mullen some crap from time to time but he never cultivated a culture of hazing so I do give him credit there.

This Northwestern hazing stuff is odd to say the least. Fitzgerald actually recruited me when I was in high school. Flew us up to Northwestern during the summer and everything. Cool trip.
Before your time but call me "naive" as well having never seen or experienced anything (including HS for that matter). Not sure of the time in between us but can confirm zero in the mid/late 70's as well (not even singing the fight song like stuff). Certainly a lot of individual shenanigans going on but nothing "team based" or in the locker room. Best I recall everyone was just too 17'ing tired to fool with such.
Frankly this whole thing still lacks a lot of details and seems there is more to the story but either way, glad I never had to deal it.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017

Coaches know what goes on in their locker rooms. Their staff know too. It's all about team leadership and chemistry. As a result, they often let stuff slide.

There are people who study this hazing SH!4 and at some places - from junior high marching bands to pro ball clubs - it is really 17d up and gets covered up.

You get guys and gals who are messed up in the head from some childhood trauma or semi-latent sexual predilection who assume leadership positions on a team or command respect for their ability or perhaps viewed as a coach's favorite, you're going to get folks in a lot of compromising positions.

Again Coaches know and, if they don't, they don't need to be coaches.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
10th graders got redbellies after first day of two a days at Copiah. If you cried, you got it again the next day. Any foreign objects and open or closed fists were legal. That **** hurt like hell.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login