Northwestern fires Fitzgerald…

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Listening to stories like this I've heard in the press the past few years, it's evident hazing never disappeared. It is just more stupid, sick, and dangerous than before. I guess it is human nature to take it a notch above what they had to endure.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
We had to do a version of this to join the lettermen's club in high school, among many other disgusting things.

Two ice blocks stacked on top of each other like a stool. A small hole was chipped into the ice. A large green olive was placed in the hole on the ice. You had to "clench" your cheeks and pick up the olive from the ice blocks. You then had to walk the length of the locker room w/ olive firmly embedded and hidden in your valley, squat down and drop the olive into a styrofoam coffee cup. If you were successful you were done. Anyone that dropped the olive though at any point i.e. pick up, walk of shame, and drop (there were many) had to then pick it up and drop it in another single cup. At the end, the common cup was shaken and everyone that had dropped an olive had to choose one from the common cup and eat that olive that had just recently been removed from someone else grand canyon. I was the first to go and thank you baby Jesus was successful at my task. Hardest part was dropping that olive blindly into the cup w/out hitting the rim of it and knocking styrofoam cup over, not hitting the cup when you squatted with feet but etc, and just squaring up on it and dropping it dead center. The ice was damn cold too on your jewels while trying to clench the olive initially. Good times though, I got my revenge on the next group of pledges in the Spring which was all a bunch of track, baseball and basketball lightweights. There were a lot of them that dropped out during pledge week.
There was a legend at my high school about the "cherry run" - when you made varsity football you had to crab walk with a cherry clinched between your cheeks the length of the practice field. If you dropped it, you had to eat it and start over.

How have we made it this far in a hazing thread and no one has mentioned the "Sessums Flagpole Flop"?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Interesting move by Northwestern here...

Wouldn't you think at least one assistant/staffer would be let go?

Reactions: HuskyBDawg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Interesting move by Northwestern here...

Wouldn't you think at least one assistant/staffer would be let go?

That seems really odd. Is NW basically saying the head coach knew all about this and his inaction warranted termination but none of the assistants knew anything?

ETA: there has to be more to it. From a CYA standpoint, I just can’t see NW firing the head coach only unless there are very clear and justified reasons. I guess we’ll find out later.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That seems really odd. Is NW basically saying the head coach knew all about this and his inaction warranted termination but none of the assistants knew anything?

Holy Rearranging of the Titanic's deck chairs, Batman...

adam west binoculars GIF

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
The whistleblower started blowing the whistle after getting benched. He's been described as vindictive by teammates and the families of teammates. Don't know if it's true, but I've heard he was recorded saying that he was going to take Fitzgerald down.

Northwestern went to the Big Ten championship in 2020. They gave Fitzgerald a 10-year contract. This would have been year three of that contract. Since the new contract, he is 4-20 (2-16 in the Big Ten). They owed him $42m.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The whistleblower started blowing the whistle after getting benched. He's been described as vindictive by teammates and the families of teammates. Don't know if it's true, but I've heard he was recorded saying that he was going to take Fitzgerald down.

Northwestern went to the Big Ten championship in 2020. They gave Fitzgerald a 10-year contract. This would have been year three of that contract. Since the new contract, he is 4-20 (2-16 in the Big Ten). They owed him $42m.
If the tale he's telling is the truth, doesn't matter if he's vindictive, if he got benched or even said he was going to take Fitz down. If he's telling the truth just doesn't matter.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
So I just read through some of the details of the hazing, and being that I didn’t play football past the 6th grade, I’ve gotta ask some of you former athletes…

Is this sort of locker room, um… behavior… normal? I can’t say that making a dude crawl around naked on the floor or forcing him to bend over and get dry humped are things that I’d have ever come up with for a good laugh
ITS A B1G T3N THING**

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login