Not gonna lie, the Balconies look GREAT.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
If you like it now, wait until the blue tents go up!

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
The stadium with the balconies, new screens, and updated paint looks the best since it has since they opened the north endzone in 2014

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I think a more expansive version of this may be the answer to the South End Zone inclosure.

I think you're kidding but a party deck or two along the top of real seats may be OK. Sorta like the rooftop at DNF.

Obviously need to do more these days than just add seating if you want people to show up to games.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
And having the south end zone look similar to the lofts at the dude isn't a bad idea.

Could be apartments with balconies.
Could be lounges inside with balconies for viewing similar to the loges or sky boxes.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
What does this do to seating capacity? They do look nice.
Hardly anyone ever sits up there anyway - that’s why this was such a brilliant idea. This time next year, other schools will be doing the same.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
We need a real enclosure to the South End Zone…. Someday.

We need to update the west to the 21st century one day before anything else happens. However I'm sure more tents will go up in the south endzone. Someone will pay thousands and we will done a "stadium expansion of premium seating in the black."

Oregon St. Texas Tech. Vandy are all about to spend $300 million on stadium upgrades. Cohen is about to spent $70 million to retro fit some suites in the quarter deck, repurpose some chairbacks in section D And throw some cabanas in the south endzone.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
100% the new paint on the south end zone jumbotron and M Club look great as well.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I don’t know that they’ve hit the bullseye yet, but they’re sure headed in the right direction. How many of us having been complaining for years that we don’t need more seats in DWS? We need comfort and amenities. Well, this is how you accomplish that.

These balconies aren’t perfect, but it’s a hell of a start. If they can figure out the grill situation, improve the rain/sun cover, and maybe figure out something for wait staff and bathroom access, look out.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
[tweet]1563923033844334592[/tweet]

So are balcony holders able to move furniture in? Can they stock their balcony prior to the game?

I don't know why, but I was assuming it was just going to be stock, whatever it ended up being. But I guess that doesn't make sense.

Going to be a shame when they have to shut them down after somebody chunks a chair off the uppder deck after the 5th time we throw a swing pass to the RB for a 3 yd game on 3rd and 14.

ETA: Seriously though, I'm not sure how expensive it would be to build, but if you could do something like these in the corners to connect the MClub to the stadium without breaking the bank, that might be a decent stop gap until we do something permanent. Not all the way up obviously, but maybe three decks high?

Last edited:

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
From what I understand. You can take chairs, couches, refrigerators, TVs., fans, your own food and drink.

However no grills or any thing to cook with. I wonder if they'll allow propane heat when it gets cold. Hmmmmm.

I assume the elevator is usable to carry you cooler and food trays up there game day. Also I wonder how many hours before and after the game do you have use.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
My only suggestion is to go ahead and supply a small refrigerator and a fan. It would cost almost nothing. But really smart idea overall.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
60,133 is now the official capacity

[FONT=&quot]https://twitter.com/Theo_DeRosa/status/1564303821127532546?s=20&t=oM3V6ILZrSyYBffR19LuYQ[/FONT]

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don’t know that they’ve hit the bullseye yet, but they’re sure headed in the right direction. How many of us having been complaining for years that we don’t need more seats in DWS? We need comfort and amenities. Well, this is how you accomplish that.

These balconies aren’t perfect, but it’s a hell of a start. If they can figure out the grill situation, improve the rain/sun cover, and maybe figure out something for wait staff and bathroom access, look out.

I imagine a grill is going to be pushing it. Even with it being composite (I think?) decking and concrete underneath, I'm just not sure they're going to allow an open flame in an upper deck with limited exit routes.

And while this may not be perfect, based on the limited pictures, this looks like incredible execution of an idea to me. I guess my expectations maybe were lowered by how ****** Ole Miss's deal looked, but I'm not sure how I would make them look different if I had the option to design it from scratch and not have to retrofit it onto existing stadium seating.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
From what I understand. You can take chairs, couches, refrigerators, TVs., fans, your own food and drink.

However no grills or any thing to cook with. I wonder if they'll allow propane heat when it gets cold. Hmmmmm.

I assume the elevator is usable to carry you cooler and food trays up there game day. Also I wonder how many hours before and after the game do you have use.

In the Scoreboard Club you can only stock/restock alcohol on Fridays prior to game days - food is catered. It will be interesting to see if food can be brought in to the balconies on game day - I wouldn't be surprise it food was not allowed to be brought in on game day.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Good point on the club level. Also I just listened to T&L. I believe I heard Faulk say that the university was setting up a tailgate (outside the stadium) for the balcony customers. So I assume that will be their food option.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
I give it 1 season. Maybe 2. And it will be their idea because they changed the diameter of the handrail "so it's not even close to the same thing."

Oh they'll definitely try to copy it but my money is on USM doing something similar and claiming it although not many people would know about it. I have seen articles about their outfield area that stated that as far as they knew, it was a tradition they started and there was nothing like it anywhere else in college baseball. I also saw another article where they were writing about some USM guy claiming he started that annoying-*** "throw it in the dirt" chant at games when we all know where that started. These sources were WDAM and the Hattiesburg American.

The guy that really started that chant passed away a couple of years ago. My rebel-bear girlfriend got pissed when I asked her if people started chanting "throw him in the dirt" at his funeral.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I wasn't being negative just wondered how much it reduced overall seating.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I don't understand posts like this.

I don’t know that they’ve hit the bullseye yet, but they’re sure headed in the right direction.......
These balconies aren’t perfect, but it’s a hell of a start.
So it's not the bullseye or perfect, but it's the right direction and a hell of a start? What exactly is the bullseye and/or perfect?

If they can figure out the grill situation, improve the rain/sun cover, and maybe figure out something for wait staff and bathroom access, look out.
Seems like every school in the country would like these things. I guess Miami figured out the shade part, but that's with the help of city funds on a pro stadium. I guess I'm saying your expectations are a little unrealistic?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I can admit it, too. I thought it was a terrible idea, but so far, it looks great. I based my initial criticism on a similar thing Memphis did with the liberty bowl. That was embarrassing.

The real success measure is when other schools start doing it the way we did it.

RNBulldog

Jan 7, 2020
I got one thinking it would be worth a shot to get in early in case they turn out to be great. Worst case scenario we get other tickets next year. To answer a few questions…

1. No grills
2. No propane or electric heaters
3. No banners, flags, or lights
4. Servicing is on Friday like other areas
5. No food or drinks can be brought in on game day; must be done during servicing
6. There is an option to order catered food from MSU only (limited menu and an added charge)
7. I think the tailgate area that was mentioned is for anyone that wants to go
8. We can get into our balcony 2 hours 15 minutes before kickoff and can stay up to an hour after

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Not gonna lie, I ain't shellin' out for 'em regardless how good they look

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
And having the south end zone look similar to the lofts at the dude isn't a bad idea.

Could be apartments with balconies.
Could be lounges inside with balconies for viewing similar to the loges or sky boxes.

How about a Rooftop Bar and Lounge in the South End Zone like the 755 club in the old Braves stadium!

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Saying this as the guy who would be running the grill if we had a balcony, I would not want one. It’s one thing with baseball, but with football games, I want to watch the whole game, not be tending to food when we get a huge sack on 3rd down.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
You don’t understand how something can be a fantastic concept without still having room for improvement?

I feel like you think I’m trying to nitpick for the sake of finding something to complain about when I’m in fact applauding Cohen. I don’t know if these will work out in the end or not, but his team at least recognizes what’s happening with college football attendance, and they’re doing some creative things to combat it. For me personally, though, it’s still just not quite enough to convince me to re-up my season tickets so that I can drive 10 hrs round trip throughout the fall to watch in person. He’s headed in the right direction, though

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Why would be be kidding? We need to do away with upper deck seating as much as we can and do something to enclose our stadium. Nobody wants to sit up there anymore and the University isn't selling tickets enough to move the needle for upper deck seating. I think people forget to compare our stadium with others in the SEC. It needs serious work done.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login