Not good news for Titus

G

Goat Holder

he will prove his worth on the field.

Where are they expecting him to go in the draft?

ChatGPT

Apr 24, 2006
since defensive ends are constantly sprinting forty yards at a time in a game.

/look at the tape
//look at the tape
///look at the tape

FlabLoser

Aug 20, 2006
It is common for a DT or DE to chase RBs and WRs from behind. Of course they aren't going to sprint down anybody from behind. But they are expected to chase. And often if the runner slows to juke a safety, one of these chase guys will make the tackle.

JohnDawg

Sep 1, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________Of course they aren't going to sprint down anybody from behind._________________________________________________

False.

Signed,

Julius Peppers

ChatGPT

Apr 24, 2006
and a few tenths of a second on a forty time isn't going to matter in the grand scheme of things when a DE is chasing a RB down from behind. If they have to do it too much, that means the whole defensive line and linebacking corps sucks *** and there are problems greater than a forty time.

Give me a DE that can pressure the quarterback consistently over the guy that can stop a running back at 20 yards instead of 30.

3 and 9 record

Workouts at the Combine do nothing to affect the draft status of defensive ends. It is all about production on the field.

Sincerely,
Mike Mamula

saltybulldog

Nov 15, 2005
Quote:_________________________________________________Workouts at the Combine do nothing to affect the draft status of defensive ends. It is all about production on the field.

Sincerely,
Mike Mamula

with contributions from Mario Williams

Frances Drebin

Nov 16, 2005
...is that he's not big enough to play DE in the NFL (a valid concern) and thus, his time is too slow for a linebacker.

ram124

Oct 10, 2007
that's why the guy considered him a slider. Titus really needed to run well to get a good look from a team as a linebacker. Instead, he ran slow for a defensive end. Not good.

ChatGPT

Apr 24, 2006
Well damn. How big do you have to be to play defensive end now? He's 240, and with roids...er, an NFL program, thirty more pounds would be no problem.

The combine is worse than recruiting. Well, to me it is because I like NFL football more than college football. Anyway, from his combine player page:

Quote:_________________________________________________Analysis
Positives: Well-built athlete with room for additional growth in his lower body. ... Best attribute is his initial burst off the snap and straight-line speed. ... Flashes the overall athleticism to make the transition back to outside linebacker - a position he played his freshman season at MSU. ... Can beat the offensive tackle off the snap with his burst and shows the strong, active hands to bat away the blocker's hands. ... Closes quickly. ... Has developed into a high motor player who pursues down the field with passion.

Negatives: Classic 'tweener who may lack the size and strength to hold up at defensive end and the athleticism and instincts to transition back to linebacker. ... Struggled with reading keys and putting himself in the correct position when moved back to linebacker while at the Senior Bowl. ... Developed into a leader as he matured, but struggled initially in this role. ... Has some off-field concerns scouts will want to explore._________________________________________________

This screams of over-analysis of a really good football player. Seriously. After switching defensive end and becoming All-SEC, they knock him for being out of position at linebacker after a week of practice. It's just irritating to read all this crap when we have seen with our own eyes how good of a player he is. And it goes for many, many, many other players as well.

Edit: Geez, just reading that analysis again, all they talk about is what made him so good at DE, but what's going to hurt him is that he can't play linebacker.

Am I crazy for thinking there is some fatal logic flaw there?

Aug 30, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________Has some off-field concerns scouts will want to explore._________________________________________________
what is being referred to here? I thought he was basically a pretty good guy. I think he was part of the cop beatdown, but that was several years ago and is the only incident I remember where he was involved. Just curious.

I agree with you Sesh. He hasn't played LB in two or three years. Big shock he would struggle there after only a week of practice. He is a good player and he has a motor. That said, I'm not sure he has the talent to ever be a real player in the NFL. I hope I'm wrong because I would really like to see Titus make it.

ChatGPT

Apr 24, 2006
I guess it's the cop stuff. Don't really remember anything else.

I think Titus has all the talent necessary to be on a roster as a DE. First impression is that he's willing to work his *** off to stay on one, but I can't really say that with certainty.

ram124

Oct 10, 2007
Titus' off-field trouble was the bar fight in Columbus that he and Mike Heard got into with a couple of other guys. Apparently, the other guys started it. That was nearly 3 years ago, though. Titus was never suspened for it. I'm sure Croom will tell his NFL buddies that it wasn't that big of a deal and he never got in any real trouble.

M

MsuD00D

Quote:_________________________________________________Well damn. How big do you have to be to play defensive end now? He's 240, and with roids...er, an NFL program, thirty more pounds would be no problem._________________________________________________

Charles Grant is a pro-bowl caliber DE. Does that answer your question?

Grant 6'3" 290
Peppers 6'7" 283
Freeney 6'1" 268

ChatGPT

Apr 24, 2006
And Strahan and Umenyiora come in at a whopping 255 and 261 respectively.

What's harder? Gaining 20-30 pounds on an NFL program, or learning how to play linebacker in the NFL?

Aug 30, 2006
have to be heavy to be a NFL DE

Sincerely,
Jason Taylor (6'6", 255)

As Sesh alluded to, Titus can easily put on weight in an NFL program. He is only 15 pounds shy of Taylor's weight and only 28 pounds shy of Freeney's weight.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
of falling in love with these workout wonders and not paying enough attention to game film. Anyone who watches film on Titus would be stupid not to draft him. He can and will get bigger and stronger. Don't turn him into a linebacker, get him on a program and bulk him up a little more.

I'm with Sesh, I like the NFL more than college football, but they spend way too much time overanalyzing mundane ****.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login