Not-so-crazy Tin Foil hat thought-

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Does the SEC unleash the zebras on Georgia Saturday? Would likely lock in 2 playoff slots.
After some **** I've seen this year, wouldn't be surprised.

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
Does the SEC unleash the zebras on Georgia Saturday? Would likely lock in 2 playoff slots.

I’m not a conspiracy guy, and think most of the ref stuff is incompetence more so than intentional cheating. But there’s no doubt the SEC has a vested interest in Alabama winning. Not only does that put 2 teams in playoff but it bumps every other SEC school up a bowl, too.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Wouldn’t the scenario then be Alabama versus Georgia in the semifinals?

I think the media and fans would be upset with that.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Nobody outside of Birmingham wants to see those 2 MFers play twice. Hoping the fighting bowl cuts put a bullet in Bama’s head.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I’m not a conspiracy guy, and think most of the ref stuff is incompetence more so than intentional cheating. But there’s no doubt the SEC has a vested interest in Alabama winning. Not only does that put 2 teams in playoff but it bumps every other SEC school up a bowl, too.

It probably doesn't do anything beyond moving Ole Miss from another NY6 bowl to the Sugar. The SEC will have exactly 3 teams in the NY6 either way, and exactly 10 teams in non-NY6 bowls.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Just because you say it isnt a crazy tin foil hat thought doesnt make it reasonable.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
There is no doubt that the SEC refs go to great lengths to protect Alabama. Been going on back to at least the early 1960’s. I have never been able to figure out if the SEC front office is behind it or if it is just specific refs or teams of refs with a strong Alabama bias that try to control the outcome. It’s been going on for many years, is very obvious to everyone except for Alabama fans, and the SEC NEVER takes any action to correct the issue. They just issue random apology letters and look the other way.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I wouldn't put it past the SEC to at least have had an off the record discussion about it.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I have repeatedly watched those refs throw the flag and then be talked out of calls against Bama. It goes beyond incompetence. This game will be no different but I think UGA is good enough to overcome it. I will not watch those teams play each other more than once and I don’t think I’m alone in that.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
There is no doubt that the SEC refs go to great lengths to protect Alabama. Been going on back to at least the early 1960’s. I have never been able to figure out if the SEC front office is behind it or if it is just specific refs or teams of refs with a strong Alabama bias that try to control the outcome. It’s been going on for many years, is very obvious to everyone except for Alabama fans, and the SEC NEVER takes any action to correct the issue. They just issue random apology letters and look the other way.

Two things about Birmingham many may not know.

One, more money is bet on college football in the Birmingham area, where it is illegal, than in Las Vegas, where it is legal

Two, it's been a mob town for a LONG time.

It doesn't take much to see when the fix is in.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Anytime in any situation where you have human beings running an operation that makes hundreds of millions of dollars, and its their job to keep said institution at the top and successful its almost assured that they will bend the rules to add more profit and power. It is most assuredly not a "tin hat theory" to think they would attempt to add more clout and cash to the coffers. Which, in the long run, might be best for all conference members

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Anytime in any situation where you have human beings running an operation that makes hundreds of millions of dollars, and its their job to keep said institution at the top and successful its almost assured that they will bend the rules to add more profit and power. It is most assuredly not a "tin hat theory" to think they would attempt to add more clout and cash to the coffers. Which, in the long run, might be best for all conference members

Right. And do you know what happens if they get caught? The feds come crashing in, they completely lose public trust, and that billion dollar enterprise collapses. The SEC makes plenty of money, and is easily recognized as the premier football conference. That will not change at all if Bama misses the playoffs. Why would they kill the golden goose?

The trouble with mass conspiracies is they are predicated on everyone keeping quiet. There is not enough money to be gained in an Alabama victory to keep everyone quiet.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Right. And do you know what happens if they get caught? The feds come crashing in, they completely lose public trust, and that billion dollar enterprise collapses. The SEC makes plenty of money, and is easily recognized as the premier football conference. That will not change at all if Bama misses the playoffs. Why would they kill the golden goose?

The trouble with mass conspiracies is they are predicated on everyone keeping quiet. There is not enough money to be gained in an Alabama victory to keep everyone quiet.

"The feds come crashing in ..." Thanks for the chuckle! The feds don't care what goes on in the NFL or college football. Yea, they probably forced the NIL deals to overcome the vast amounts of money flowing under the table that wasn't taxed but how could they prove that a conference decided who would win a game???? Both teams know what is at stake and they know how much money they will lose with a Georgia win. It wasn't that long ago when LSU and Alabama played in the pre-playoffs championship that all the other conferences were accusing the SEC of this. Anyone that thinks the NFL and college football are clean as the driven snow is just deluded.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Wouldn’t the scenario then be Alabama versus Georgia in the semifinals?

I think the media and fans would be upset with that.

I think Bama would be 1 and Georgia would be 3, delaying the rematch until the championship.

You can never count Saban out, but Georgia's defense vs. Bama's OL feels like a big mismatch. Bama's best and perhaps only chance to win is to ugly it up and win a low scoring game similar to those 2011 Bama/LSU games.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The revenue difference between 2 teams in the playoff and Mississippi in the Sugar and 1 team in the playoff, Bama in the Sugar and Mississippi in the Peach is only $2,000,000. The SEC doesn't really care who wins the conference championship game. Heck, they may even would rather Georgia win it to lock down the #1 seed and draw the easiest semi-final opponent. That's really your best chance to get an SEC national champion.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
The revenue difference between 2 teams in the playoff and Mississippi in the Sugar and 1 team in the playoff, Bama in the Sugar and Mississippi in the Peach is only $2,000,000. The SEC doesn't really care who wins the conference championship game. Heck, they may even would rather Georgia win it to lock down the #1 seed and draw the easiest semi-final opponent. That's really your best chance to get an SEC national champion.

Excellent point! If they don't want the scrutiny that comes with an Alabama win this is the year to do as you say.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I've always thought they protect the higher ranked team, not just Bama. Now this weekend the higher ranked team doesn't need protecting and the lower ranked one winning would absolutely be good for the SEC overall, we will see.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Just like when LSU and Bummer played during the regular season to get two in. Patdog makes a great point though. Is $2M/15 worth brining the scrutiny? $133k is chump change to the SEC front office. We sure could use it though.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
In order to clear up your lack of comprehension, I wrote "not so crazy" in grammatically correct English and in a self-depreciating form of sarcasm.

Just because you can't help yourself injecting your opinion doesn't make it insightful.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I have repeatedly watched those refs throw the flag and then be talked out of calls against Bama. It goes beyond incompetence. This game will be no different but I think UGA is good enough to overcome it. I will not watch those teams play each other more than once and I don’t think I’m alone in that.

I think Georgia beats them pretty good. Alabama is not championship caliber team. They have struggled in several games this year especially their defense. I think UGA Michigan Ok State and Cincinnati would be a refreshing playoff. Bama and UGA both don’t need to be in it

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I think Georgia beats them pretty good. Alabama is not championship caliber team. They have struggled in several games this year especially their defense. I think UGA Michigan Ok State and Cincinnati would be a refreshing playoff. Bama and UGA both don’t need to be in it

Don't forget Saban's contract: Alabama will pay Saban an $8.425 million base salary for the upcoming 2021 college football season. His existing deal also includes incentives for each national title ($400,000), College Football Playoff semifinal win ($300,000), a CFP appearance ($200,000) and a conference title bonus ($250,000 for winning).

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
"The feds come crashing in ..." Thanks for the chuckle! The feds don't care what goes on in the NFL or college football. Yea, they probably forced the NIL deals to overcome the vast amounts of money flowing under the table that wasn't taxed but how could they prove that a conference decided who would win a game???? Both teams know what is at stake and they know how much money they will lose with a Georgia win. It wasn't that long ago when LSU and Alabama played in the pre-playoffs championship that all the other conferences were accusing the SEC of this. Anyone that thinks the NFL and college football are clean as the driven snow is just deluded.

The feds came crashing in when a TV game show was fixed. They would be all over this. The proof would come from someone talking, which was my original point. It is extremely difficult to keep a 3 man conspiracy quiet. Can you imagine the number of people who would be involved in something like this?

It is really the fatal flaw in all conspiracy theories. In this particular theory, there is not enough incremental money at stake to pay everyone off and risk ruining everything.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
The feds came crashing in when a TV game show was fixed. They would be all over this. The proof would come from someone talking, which was my original point. It is extremely difficult to keep a 3 man conspiracy quiet. Can you imagine the number of people who would be involved in something like this?

It is really the fatal flaw in all conspiracy theories. In this particular theory, there is not enough incremental money at stake to pay everyone off and risk ruining everything.

Why haven't they crashed WWE?

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
It probably doesn't do anything beyond moving Ole Miss from another NY6 bowl to the Sugar. The SEC will have exactly 3 teams in the NY6 either way, and exactly 10 teams in non-NY6 bowls.

Ahh you’re right. I was thinking since it would bump Ole Miss to the Sugar, that another SEC team would then bump up into a NY6 bowl and so forth. I wasn’t thinking about Ole Miss getting the Fiesta or Peach as an at-large.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Yes, there is no typo in the title. You are officially able to bet on the World Wrestling Entertainment staged wrestling matches. ... Pro WWE Wrestling is scripted, and the winners and losers are predetermined.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I do know what happens. They go on TV and say they may have missed some calls. Then they send out a lovely apology letter that the school not named Alabama can frame and hang in their trophy case. Then at the end of the year everybody gets an extra 3 million.

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012

You haven't been keeping track of what the feds are up to these days if you think they'll come 'crashing in".

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Another not so crazy tin foil theory….if Alabama beats Georgia, there are going to be swarms of fans on this board and every single other non-Bama board rolling the film and finding obscure holding penalties and other similar nuance that weren’t called on Alabama, while totally ignoring the same type of calls not made against UGA.

It’s the SEC Championship game, and its going to have tens of millions of eyeballs. Last thing the league wants is a tainted victory from either team. The CFP committee would likely address any blatant missed calls or game altering blunders from the officials in terms of how they handle the rankings, which would be a total embarrassment for the SEC. It will be called as cleanly as an SEC game can be called. That’s not saying much, due to general incompetence of league officials, but that incompetence should cut both ways.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Just because you say it isnt a crazy tin foil hat thought doesnt make it reasonable.

I loved X-Files and all of the conspiracies and believe there is probably a few things that happen that we won't understand but rigging a football game is a crime. I cry foul a lot but don't really believe there is a directive to allow one team to win, I just like to ***** about bad calls... learned it from my Grandmother who would yell at the TV every Saturday watching wrestling out of Memphis. Boy did she hate those refs.

I DO believe in the really crappy level of officiating in the SEC could be remedied but so long as the coaches and ADs in the league don't stand up and ask for better it will continue to suck.

I'm not sure if any of these guys let anything influence their calls but I hope not. Who can say? But I do sometimes wonder if the blue bloods get the benefit of a doubt sometimes. I mean who can do anything about it if a guy runs out of bounds then catches a TD and you just pick up your cap. I hope not but who can say it doesn't happen.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
The feds are too busy at PTA meetings and covering Hunters discrepancies up to interfere with the SEC

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
The refs can only "help" if the game stays close. I don't think it will. I think UGA kicks ***. Bigly.

But then again I thought we'd win the Egg Bowl too so there's that...

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014
In the history of humans, successful short an long play scams weren't perpetrated with just silver. It was a silver or lead option. Silver for you or lead for you and everyone you know.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
There are times that I think you don't really get a fair shake -- that you actually make a fair point, but nobody listens because they don't like you. But posts like this remind me that you've earned every bit of that ****. You really don't have to weigh in on every thread. Just stfu sometimes.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
There are times that I think you don't really get a fair shake -- that you actually make a fair point, but nobody listens because they don't like you. But posts like this remind me that you've earned every bit of that ****. You really don't have to weigh in on every thread. Just stfu sometimes.

Its a discussion. The OP offered up a theory that the SEC will rig the game and said it isnt too crazy. I disagreed. Then the OP said the initial post was sarcasm, which kinda means they agree with my view since they dont even believe what they initially posted.

It is unfortunate that my response elicited such a passionate response from you a day after I posted. I simply disagree that the SEC will tell refs to throw the game. I comment on very few threads, to be clear. Sure, I could refrain from posting that initial comment...everyone here could refrain from posting everything they think, but then whats the point?

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
If you think this is bad, wait until the thread gets locked and mstateglfrmthrfkr starts PM’ing you

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
mstateglfr;[URL="tel:1995060" said:
1995060[/URL]]Its a discussion. The OP offered up a theory that the SEC will rig the game and said it isnt too crazy. I disagreed. Then the OP said the initial post was sarcasm, which kinda means they agree with my view since they dont even believe what they initially posted.

It is unfortunate that my response elicited such a passionate response from you a day after I posted. I simply disagree that the SEC will tell refs to throw the game. I comment on very few threads, to be clear. Sure, I could refrain from posting that initial comment...everyone here could refrain from posting everything they think, but then whats the point?

This funny coming from the guy who said my posts were dangerous. THAT is a knee-jerk response elicited from someone with a different POV.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login