Now we know why Cohen bailed

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
LSU hired a proven cws winning coach, TAMU hire a proven cws winning coach. We didn't but won a natty. But it's becoming apparent he took a program that was steady and full of leadership and kept it there with those coaches recruits. Now that those guys are gone, he can't win for ****.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Old Dawg

Jan 7, 2020
LSU hired a proven cws winning coach, TAMU hire a proven cws winning coach. We didn't but won a natty. But it's becoming apparent he took a program that was steady and full of leadership and kept it there with those coaches recruits. Now that those guys are gone, he can't win for ****.

2 cents...it's early, but the continued errors and pitching from behind has more to do with coaching than talent. I'm no genius coach but my understanding was that our talent was a big upgrade from 2022. So that falls to coaching and leadership. 19 walks in 3 games is coaching. The freshmen pitched it well today. This early, let them prove they can't handle it. We certainly aren't
getting much from the upperclassmen. Again it's early.
IMO which means nothing.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
And probably Skenes too. He decided between the last place team in the SEC vs the likely CWS winner this year.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The program prior to Lemonis was steady?

Reactions: Darryl Steight

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
When you build something like Dudy Noble and the lofts, it's tied to baseball too, especially if you're the guy that hired the coach.
If Arnett & Jans are successful the next decade and Selmon whiffs on a couple baseball hires, he’s not getting fired.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I was anti-Cohen but no athletic directors job should ever be tied to the baseball coach. Cohen’s last hires in football and men’s basketball were both very good which is what matters outside of fundraising, relationship building, and branding and of course those were his weaknesses

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I was anti-Cohen but no athletic directors job should ever be tied to the baseball coach. Cohen’s last hires in football and men’s basketball were both very good which is what matters outside of fundraising, relationship building, and branding and of course those were his weaknesses
Leach was not a very good hire. He was average at best. The truth be told, he was one play away from losing his job in his last Egg Bowl.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Leach was not a very good hire. He was average at best. The truth be told, he was one play away from losing his job in his last Egg Bowl.
I agree with this. If we lose the EB things would’ve played out much differently in my opinion. I know it’s not in good taste to say anything negative regarding Leach given what transpired but things were not trending positively as people seem to believe.

Reactions: 60sdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Worst Msstate baseball coach in history. I would say that he is the worst AD in history but we won a National championship and we had Lonnie Tinkle.
Do you mean best?

Not even kidding. Without Cohen (and Byrne for getting him here), our baseball program goes extinct. He went farther than any other coach did. Finally got us another SEC title. Laid the foundation for the national title.

His AD work can be criticized, but his work as our baseball coach was pretty remarkable and I'll certainly always be appreciative of it. I personally wish he had stayed in that role, he probably would have won a title by now as well.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I would say so. Made it cws without him and with an interim coach. I would call that a pretty stable program
Let's be fair. Recruiting doesn't show up immediately. Stands to reason that a lot of the instability would be rearing its head now.

I've not totally judged Lemonis yet, so don't try and label me as a Lemonsheep. Matter of fact, I'm a Lane Burroughs guy.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Regarding Schloss at Aggy, he never did anything once he got to Omaha. And, Aggy is never know for their overachievements, so I’m wondering if he’ll be their Ron Polk. Always top 10 and never any hardware. I think he was basically ours to lose unless Cohen went full Cohen, and he sure did. However, I’m not sure Schloss would have ever sealed the deal here, either.

I like Lemonis, and I like his willingness to adapt when necessary. Never had a season with 50 games and 48 different lineups like the IB, either. He has even recruited very well. I think Foxhall will be the first to be dealt with if things don’t turn around. If things don’t change quickly after that, it’s gonna be hard to justify keeping Lemonis…

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I would say so. Made it cws without him and with an interim coach. I would call that a pretty stable program
If going to the CWS means you are a stable program, what does winning the CWS say about the program?

We’ve been to the college World Series a lot, but only one coach has left with the trophy.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I believe Cohen bailed because the school's administration was getting more and more complaints about him AND Auburn's inexplicably offering him a job.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Fishsqeezer

Jan 3, 2023
Cohen was just an arrogant ***, if you saw him & said hey coach…, he would just look at you & not say sh** … like how dare you nobody fan say anything to me

Reactions: PhredPhantom

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
He knew what was coming and knew his job would be tied to the Lemonis hire.
Real talk. I know we’re Mississippi State and baseball is our ride or die, but has a Division I athletic director ever gotten fired over a head baseball coach hire?

I feel like the answer is probably ‘no’ and in the unlikely event that it’s a ‘yes’, was it a Division I program with a football team?

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB
New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

Reactions: Puppers and Dawgg

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Real talk. I know we’re Mississippi State and baseball is our ride or die, but has a Division I athletic director ever gotten fired over a head baseball coach hire?

I feel like the answer is probably ‘no’ and in the unlikely event that it’s a ‘yes’, was it a Division I program with a football team?
I think if Cohen were still here and Lemonis got fired, he would probably get canned too. Lemonis would be the excuse but it would be a culmination of all the things Cohen is blamed for.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
The best compliment I could give Ron Polk is he was a great teacher of fundamentals. Very detailed in his coaching of fundamental baseball. We appear to be lacking in that area so far.

Reactions: Dawgg

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022

He wouldn't have gotten fired for Lemonis but for the combination of Lemonis, McCray, and Moorhead

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
No coach in the history of football has lost three Egg Bowls and been retained.
Few things here:
1. That's not true. Wade Walker coached at Mississippi State for 6 seasons and here was his record against Ole Miss. Note the four consecutive losses:
YearResult
1956Loss
1957Tie
1958Loss
1959Loss
1960Loss
1961Loss

2. Those "3rd consecutive Egg Bowl losses" generally came at the end of a sub-.500 season. Leach's wouldn't have:
1990: Felker 5-6
1986: Bellard 5-6
1951: Morton 4-5

In the history of the Egg Bowl, those are the only four Mississippi State coaches with three consecutive losses against Ole Miss.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login