Now we know why Cohen bailed

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Few things here:
1. That's not true. Wade Walker coached at Mississippi State for 6 seasons and here was his record against Ole Miss. Note the four consecutive losses:
YearResult
1956Loss
1957Tie
1958Loss
1959Loss
1960Loss
1961Loss

2. Those "3rd consecutive Egg Bowl losses" generally came at the end of a sub-.500 season. Leach's wouldn't have:
1990: Felker 5-6
1986: Bellard 5-6
1951: Morton 4-5

In the history of the Egg Bowl, those are the only four Mississippi State coaches with three consecutive losses against Ole Miss.
Do you expect blowhard fans to use critical thought??

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Few things here:
1. That's not true. Wade Walker coached at Mississippi State for 6 seasons and here was his record against Ole Miss. Note the four consecutive losses:
YearResult
1956Loss
1957Tie
1958Loss
1959Loss
1960Loss
1961Loss

2. Those "3rd consecutive Egg Bowl losses" generally came at the end of a sub-.500 season. Leach's wouldn't have:
1990: Felker 5-6
1986: Bellard 5-6
1951: Morton 4-5

In the history of the Egg Bowl, those are the only four Mississippi State coaches with three consecutive losses against Ole Miss.
Yes. Because the truth of the matter is Ole Miss usually sucks too. They didn't during the HeyDey of segregation and Johnnie Vaught, but losing to OM - even when we suck - is not a good thing.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yes. Because the truth of the matter is Ole Miss usually sucks too. They didn't during the HeyDey of segregation and Johnnie Vaught, but losing to OM - even when we suck - is not a good thing.
Oh I hate losing to Ole Miss more than anything, but context is important.

Even if Leach lost the Egg Bowl, at worst, he would have finished 7-6 with a bowl game loss and a chance to finish 8-5 with a bowl game win. Unless we get blown out in both the Egg Bowl and, I dunno, the Birmingham Bowl, I don’t see how Leach loses his job.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I know things ended tragically which naturally affects legacy, but man y’all have a jaded memory of the Leach era. In reality, it was full of a lot of apathy and frustration, especially by many of you who are now acting like Leach was a great hire.

DWS atmosphere in ‘21 & ‘22 was a shell of a what it was in the 2010’s. Before you say “well that’s just modern day CFB! Sport is ruined!” We were the only SEC school besides Vandy & Mizzou who struggled with attendance last year. The apathy was due more to Leach than some of you will ever admit.

BB30

Feb 10, 2023
2 cents...it's early, but the continued errors and pitching from behind has more to do with coaching than talent. I'm no genius coach but my understanding was that our talent was a big upgrade from 2022. So that falls to coaching and leadership. 19 walks in 3 games is coaching. The freshmen pitched it well today. This early, let them prove they can't handle it. We certainly aren't
getting much from the upperclassmen. Again it's early.
IMO which means nothing.
Eh, some kids just aren't strike throwers and not every kid can be taught to throw strikes consistently, not always on coaching. Now you could argue it's the coaches fault for not recruiting more kids that throw strikes, or making poor decisions based off the scouting.

Personally, I think we rely too much on the new age analytics and go after power arms/good stuff vs strike throwers that might not have quite as good of stuff.

prime example is cole ketchum at ole miss. State never offered and he was 15 minutes down the road.

Kid could throw 3 pitches for strikes his fastball wasn't great 88-92 tops93/94 but he has a plus change up that he can use against both righties and lefties and a slider that's average but can be thrown for a strike whenever he wants to.

I know you've got to have some guys with elite type stuff on the roster competing in the sec but I'd like for us to add a guy or two in each class that I would consider an actual pitcher that's a little more polished and might have a lower ceiling than some of the guys we sign but has a much higher floor and it looks like they got a couple of those guys in this young group of arms along with some guys with good stuff that throw strikes.

and then you have some late bloomers like a cerantola that have great stuff but just need more mound time and unfortunately we can't keep running a guy out there until he figures it out like you can in the minor leagues. Some kids just aren't ready for big time college baseball yet even if they have great stuff.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I'm not ready to give up on Lemonis & Co. just yet. Too early and I see too many potential young pieces to this puzzle that will at some point grow into full blown SEC players. We're 3-2 after 5 games. I thought we should have been 4-1 or even 5-0. We cannot afford to lose too many OOC games as they hurt almost as much as SEC games, especially when you lose them. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Cijntje and Loftin. Even the tall lefty, Yntema showed some good poise on the mound. Regardless, I think we'll still see Smith, Gartman, and somebody new for the Sunday spot. This weekend is a big series for us. AZState is a SEC quality team. We really need to win 2 of 3 at a minimum. The jury is still out, but we can only hope!

Last edited:

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not ready to give up on Lemonis & Co. just yet. Too early and I see too many potential young pieces to this puzzle that will at some point grow into full blown SEC players. We're 3-2 after 5 games. I thought we should have been 4-1 or even 5-0. We cannot afford to lose too many OOC games as they hurt almost as much as SEC games, especially when you lose them. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Cijntje and Loftin. Even the tall lefty, Yntema showed some good poise on the mound. Regardless, I think we'll still see Smith, Gartman, and somebody new for the Sunday spot. This weekend is a big series for us. AZState is a SEC quality team. We really need to win 2 of 3 at a minimum. The jury is still out, but we can only hope!
What was ASU's record last year and so far this year?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login