NSFW (language): Will the Thrill on today's hitters

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He ain't wrong.
I mean he kinda is. He's longing for a bygone era, but bottom line, hitting bombs helps the team more, even if it comes with strikes outs.

All about the OPS. All that said, hitting 240 with 15 bombs may not yield the OPS needed, so maybe he's right there - because he's talking about crappy hitters. But on the overall theory, he's kinda got some old man anger in him.

This is why MLB baseball is boring. I wish we could go back to the old days, but it's not happening.

The comparison is, what if one of the guys he mentions, actually takes his advice. Does he hit 300 with 5 bombs? And which one has the higher OPS at that point? Which is better?

I mean his OPS was 881, so he was good no matter what, bombs, hits, etc. It's kind of hard to see a natural like that, try and critique and coach/teach, because he has no clue what it's like for players that don't have his talent.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
And this is the major difference in a 162 game season and the playoffs. 162 game season, OPS means wins, wins means playoffs. 162 game season, over half your games you are seeing teams 3-4-5 arms, and lesser bullpen arms at that.

In the playoffs your seeing the best available all the time. There are a lot of people in those batting orders that earned their OPS beating up on sub-par pitching.... and they get exposed during playoff time, which stinks for MLB because thats when most eyes are on the sport.

regular season and playoffs are two different things at that level, which again makes it difficult. Because you either have to build a team to win in the playoffs and hope you survive and get in for the regular season.. or you have to build. team thats built to win in the regular season and hope it translates to post-season success... because its hard to do both.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And this is the major difference in a 162 game season and the playoffs. 162 game season, OPS means wins, wins means playoffs. 162 game season, over half your games you are seeing teams 3-4-5 arms, and lesser bullpen arms at that.

In the playoffs your seeing the best available all the time. There are a lot of people in those batting orders that earned their OPS beating up on sub-par pitching.... and they get exposed during playoff time, which stinks for MLB because thats when most eyes are on the sport.

regular season and playoffs are two different things at that level, which again makes it difficult. Because you either have to build a team to win in the playoffs and hope you survive and get in for the regular season.. or you have to build. team thats built to win in the regular season and hope it translates to post-season success... because its hard to do both.
I agree with this. MLB playoffs are more similar to amateur baseball at every level.....win win win. The MLB regular season is the only thing that grinds on daily like that with so many at-bats where advanced stats become useful. I mean I guess they are useful in college too, over 50-60 games in a pattern.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I agree with this. MLB playoffs are more similar to amateur baseball at every level.....win win win. The MLB regular season is the only thing that grinds on daily like that with so many at-bats where advanced stats become useful. I mean I guess they are useful in college too, over 50-60 games in a pattern.
and thats why this time of year, people like Clark, get on social media and make waves... because they are both right yet wrong at the same time.

Because the way the game is played in the playoff is at times very brutal to watch, which again stinks for MLB because everyone is watching. But its a model that has proven to work time and time again over a 162 game schedule.

I think i read somewhere, that since the wild card has been introduced (1995, so almost 30 years). The team with the best record in MLB has only won the series 7 times, 1 being the covid year..... so its for sure a different ball game... a team with 2 dominant starters can struggle to win their divison, but get them in a 5 or 7 game series with days off for TV, and they can win a series by themselves.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
and thats why this time of year, people like Clark, get on social media and make waves... because they are both right yet wrong at the same time.

Because the way the game is played in the playoff is at times very brutal to watch, which again stinks for MLB because everyone is watching. But its a model that has proven to work time and time again over a 162 game schedule.

I think i read somewhere, that since the wild card has been introduced (1995, so almost 30 years). The team with the best record in MLB has only won the series 7 times, 1 being the covid year..... so its for sure a different ball game... a team with 2 dominant starters can struggle to win their divison, but get them in a 5 or 7 game series with days off for TV, and they can win a series by themselves.
Although I played baseball for years growing up, I have not kept up with the way they play the game today. For example, I have no idea what "OPS" is, other than it's apparently an important stat.

Question: why can't pro baseball teams have both 2 dominate starting pitchers and guys that have good OPS? (Too expensive, I presume?)

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Although I played baseball for years growing up, I have not kept up with the way they play the game today. For example, I have no idea what "OPS" is, other than it's apparently an important stat.

Question: why can't pro baseball teams have both 2 dominate starting pitchers and guys that have good OPS? (Too expensive, I presume?)
you can: its not impossible by any means.

Guess the easiest way i'd even try to explain it is. Youve heard the saying good pitching stops good hitting. Well in the playoffs there is a lot of good pitching... and some of the hitters that have good numbers (OPS and others) got those numbers thru the 162 game regular season beating up on some of the lesser pitchers... and they get exposed during playoff time when the other teams only throw their good pitchers.

Hence there are a lot of playoff games that are low scoring, without any hits, and a lot of strike outs. 4 games yesterday... 8 teams playing, NONE seeing the other teams ace, because its game 3-4 of their respective seriees.... runs scored by each were 3,0,4,1,3,2,8,0....

Reactions: dog12

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
I don’t watch much regular season mlb but enjoy this time of year. The number of sub .250 hitters in the lineups always shocks me, but I grew up watching in a different era.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
People want to see home runs. Attendance is atrocious since the end of the steroid era. Does he want the sport to remain viable? I'd say he's more of the a-hole.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
you can: its not impossible by any means.

Guess the easiest way i'd even try to explain it is. Youve heard the saying good pitching stops good hitting. Well in the playoffs there is a lot of good pitching... and some of the hitters that have good numbers (OPS and others) got those numbers thru the 162 game regular season beating up on some of the lesser pitchers... and they get exposed during playoff time when the other teams only throw their good pitchers.

Hence there are a lot of playoff games that are low scoring, without any hits, and a lot of strike outs. 4 games yesterday... 8 teams playing, NONE seeing the other teams ace, because its game 3-4 of their respective seriees.... runs scored by each were 3,0,4,1,3,2,8,0....
Sounds like playoff baseball is like old-school baseball, except there are many more strikeouts.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login