Odds maker SportsGrid's take on Blake Shapen

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think a lot of yall are gonna realize Will was pretty good.
I can't go there with you, man. I have no idea how good Shapen will be, but I know Rogers wasn't all that great. Leach made him SERVICEABLE at best, but make no mistake, he was one of the reasons that we didn't have a great offense in 2021 and 2022.

Had Leach not died, I think Braden Locke was going to take his job in 2023. I kinda liken it to Relf under Mullen - he was good in that perfect system, and was serviceable enough to get us to a couple winning seasons. But Dak comes along and shows what a really good QB looks like in that system. Same with Rogers, that's what would have happened under Leach whether Locke or someone else.

I think we all would have been amazed at what a real D1 QB could do under Leach. Ole INT machine from Stanford showed us some glimpses, but hard to judge much from that COVID year, with lack of practice, etc.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
I can't go there with you, man. I have no idea how good Shapen will be, but I know Rogers wasn't all that great. Leach made him SERVICEABLE at best, but make no mistake, he was one of the reasons that we didn't have a great offense in 2021 and 2022.

Had Leach not died, I think Braden Locke was going to take his job in 2023. I kinda liken it to Relf under Mullen - he was good in that perfect system, and was serviceable enough to get us to a couple winning seasons. But Dak comes along and shows what a really good QB looks like in that system. Same with Rogers, that's what would have happened under Leach whether Locke or someone else.

I think we all would have been amazed at what a real D1 QB could do under Leach. Ole INT machine from Stanford showed us some glimpses, but hard to judge much from that COVID year, with lack of practice, etc.
Locke isn’t even the starter at Wisconsin. They had so little faith in him the signed Van Dyke from Miami, who then beat Locke out this spring. I’m actually headed to Wisconsin Monday I’ll have more intel for you goat but he isn’t that good either. Just another one of those no research takes from you

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Mississippi state could win 11 games the previous season, have 22 starters back, and we would still only be picked to win five games and finish only ahead of Vandy in the SEC,. It has always been that way. Truth is who know how good or how bad we might be. Who knows that with any team with the portal. Missouri went from a five-win seasons to a 12-win season beating Ohio State. YOu never know how those portal guys will pan out.
We’ll never know because we’ll never do that, win 11 games that is.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
The Leach era is so polarizing. Rogers was a good Air Raid QB. I appreciate what he did for us. His legacy is better if he transfers out after Leach died.
This is the right take. Under Leach, he was solid. I won’t forget the time he took us down to win at Arkansas in under 30 seconds and then the kicker missed the kick, aGAIN. But outside Leach’s system, he’s mediocre at best.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Rogers would not be good in this offense but I doubt Blake will put up more total yardage than Rogers did in 2022. But Blake's offensive line will be as good as Will's was in 2022 I think, so I think our running backs will close the gap. It's the defensive line that's going to be MEAC caliber.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is the right take. Under Leach, he was solid. I won’t forget the time he took us down to win at Arkansas in under 30 seconds and then the kicker missed the kick, aGAIN. But outside Leach’s system, he’s mediocre at best.
I’d say he was mediocre in Leach’s system, and outside it, he’s below average at best.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login