Offensive Line seems to be the biggest worry......

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The thing that gives me hope is this:

Dolla Bill: 5th year player, 11 starts
Cole Smith: 5th year player, 15 starts
LaQuinston Sharp: 6th year player, 27 starts
Kam Jones: 5th year player, 18 starts
Albert Reese: 2nd year player, but if he's in the mix, there has to be talent, right?
Steven Losoya: 4th year player, will be a backup, 14 starts at MTSU
Nick Jones: 4th year player, may start, 1 start
Percy Lewis: 3rd year JUCO, likely redshirting, but may be a backup, thankfully he doesn't HAVE to start
Grant Jackson: 3rd year player, backup
Reed Buys: 4th year player, backup

That's a solid 2-deep with some serious age on it, with a lot of starts. This isn't really like 2011, when a 2nd year Blaine Clausell was getting bulldozed. I see it more of a 2015 line, which might not have overwhelming talent but had enough maturity to be serviceable, even if some are new, as compared to the line the year before it. 2018 also comes to mind, as we lost Martinas Rankin but still had plenty of age to be serviceable.

Seems to me we've been fairly serviceable on the line for the most part since that 2011/2012 season where we just got eaten up because of all the freshmen. We don't have that situation now.

Plus we're going against one of the best defensive fronts in the conference and maybe the country everyday in practice.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I actually feel good about the OL. Which is probably the KoD.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I am pretty upbeat for this year. I expect good things. Supposedly Dollar Bill hired trainers this off-season to get better. We have a lot of experience and the line is the weak link if there is one

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I'm always worried about OL anytime we lose a high draft pick. It's impossible to appreciate the effect it has on the entire OL when you have a guy like Charles Cross at LT.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I'm always worried about OL anytime we lose a high draft pick. It's impossible to appreciate the effect it has on the entire OL when you have a guy like Charles Cross at LT.
No doubt about this. Countless examples: Clausell getting flat-backed after Sherrod left, Eiland getting flat-backed after Rankin left, and on and on. I remember when Ole Miss lost Oher and then Jevan Snead just getting pounded over and over in that South Carolina ESPN Thursday night game on TV, when they were like #4 in the country. Bradley Sowell maybe?

I'm just hoping that this year is less impactful due to the age and experience of the line overall.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
OT specifically. Last year we put Lashley on an island against Will Anderson and he finished with 4 sacks.

I'm as nervous we're setting them up to fail as I am about their ability.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
OT specifically. Last year we put Lashley on an island against Will Anderson and he finished with 4 sacks.

I'm as nervous we're setting them up to fail as I am about their ability.
One of Musberger's first quotes in that 2008 Tech/Texas game was "the line is split from Lubbock to Amarillo". I still don't know if we can pull this sort of thing off with regularity at Mississippi State. OL is so often our achilles heel historically, albeit not as bad lately. But maybe the reason it's been good lately is because Mullen knew road graders would work here more often than the big guys we're trying to groom now (and then running downhill behind them, not sitting back waiting for receivers to come open).

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I think we’ll be better at 4 of the 5 OL
spots. Just can’t be a disaster at left tackle. Cross is our highest drafted player in the last 40 years, no doubt he will be really tough to replace. But we can still be good on the OL if Dollar Bill is merely adequate. Just don’t need a liability at LT.

hailmari1

Aug 29, 2017
I am pretty upbeat for this year. I expect good things. Supposedly Dollar Bill hired trainers this off-season to get better. We have a lot of experience and the line is the weak link if there is one

I’ve read about this before, but I’m curious, what is he learning from trainers that he isn’t learning from coaches?

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I’ve read about this before, but I’m curious, what is he learning from trainers that he isn’t learning from coaches?

It’s about reps. Coaching staff can’t be with him working out all Spring and Summer. Trainers can work him out every day.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
How did we give up 252 rushing yards to Texas Tech? If we don't stop the run this year it will be a long year!

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
From someone who would know told me this. Kam is just a good football player. Elgin Jenkins kinda of kid at RT. Reese is a man a full grown man. Very high ceiling just has to get experience. Will be an asset at guard for us.
Dolla is just a different guy this year people are going to be surprised. Don't sell Dolla short

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I just heard that he has improved his body quite a bit as far as muscle to fat, worked with some trainer on his own trying to improve his technique and quickness. After starting all year last year and putting this much effort in im hopeful that he is gonna do pretty good this year. Supposedly seeing Cross go so high in the draft was a motivator to get serious and earn some money

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think over all they will be better. It's always hard to replace 1st rounder but everyone else will be better making the o line better over all.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I just heard that he has improved his body quite a bit as far as muscle to fat, worked with some trainer on his own trying to improve his technique and quickness. After starting all year last year and putting this much effort in im hopeful that he is gonna do pretty good this year. Supposedly seeing Cross go so high in the draft was a motivator to get serious and earn some money
^^ Boneyard listener

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
How did we give up 252 rushing yards to Texas Tech? If we don't stop the run this year it will be a long year!
Does this ridiculous question still need to be answered? Seriously, how do you not understand the circumstances surrounding that game?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login