Official State at USC score prediction thread

Zenophile

Oct 7, 2021
State by a million

Nittany1865Farmer

Oct 12, 2021
We get a good running game going with a healthy Singleton and others chipping in, USC's run defense was very soft against MInnesota. Takes the pressure off of Allar and PSU will pop that Trojan by 14 point spread.

PSUFBFAN

Oct 7, 2021
Shootout….

PSU - 38
USC - 35
The NCAA has slowly been implementing new clock rules over the past few years to speed up the game (or for us cynics, allow for more time for TV commercials). This year, the clock keeps running after first downs - it used to stop after a first down. Prior changes included keeping the clock running when a ball carrier goes out of bounds.

Net effect - fewer plays and possessions per team. There have been some games where teams only had 7 possessions. I think PSU had 8 possessions in one of their games. Every game is different, but how many teams are going to score on 50-60% of their possessions? Thus, not likely to see high scoring shootouts from both teams as we may have in prior years.

BeerLion

Oct 12, 2021
The NCAA has slowly been implementing new clock rules over the past few years to speed up the game (or for us cynics, allow for more time for TV commercials). This year, the clock keeps running after first downs - it used to stop after a first down. Prior changes included keeping the clock running when a ball carrier goes out of bounds.

Net effect - fewer plays and possessions per team. There have been some games where teams only had 7 possessions. I think PSU had 8 possessions in one of their games. Every game is different, but how many teams are going to score on 50-60% of their possessions? Thus, not likely to see high scoring shootouts from both teams as we may have in prior years.
That is a lot of words to not even off up a score prediction.

PSU 24
USC 10

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
USC is who they are.

Last year, they lost 5 games - while giving up over 37 points per game vs P5 opponents - nearly dead last in the entire nation
And that team had Caleb Williams, Marshawn Lloyd, Austin Jones, Tahj Washington, and Brenden Rice as offensive playmakers (they are all gone to the NFL draft)
Their new QB - after lighting up Lousville in a bowl game, and a very good opener against LSU, has been very inefficient.

The new DC (former PSU guy) may be making some improvements to their D - but it is not yet close to being a top quality defense by any stretch.

Do they have enough raw talent to beat a good team when they play well? Sure - and they did that against LSU. Could they do that to PSU (assuming PSU helps them out a lot - as LSU did)? Sure.
They also managed to lose to two Big Ten teams that for all intents and purposes played without a D1 level QB. And they won't have that luxury on Saturday.

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
USC is who they are.

Last year, they lost 5 games - while giving up over 37 points per game vs P5 opponents - nearly dead last in the entire nation
And that team had Caleb Williams, Marshawn Lloyd, Austin Jones, Tahj Washington, and Brenden Rice as offensive playmakers (they are all gone to the NFL draft)
Their new QB - after lighting up Lousville in a bowl game, and a very good opener against LSU, has been very inefficient.

The new DC (former PSU guy) may be making some improvements to their D - but it is not yet close to being a top quality defense by any stretch.

Do they have enough raw talent to beat a good team when they play well? Sure - and they did that against LSU. Could they do that to PSU (assuming PSU helps them out a lot - as LSU did)? Sure.
They also managed to lose to two Big Ten teams that for all intents and purposes played without a D1 level QB. And they won't have that luxury on Saturday.
From what I've seen from both teams, you may not need to pass much. Their QB will be running for his life. I don't think they can handle your DL, especially if you force then to their left. No prediction, but I think it will be a convincing win for Penn State.

Reactions: PSUFTG

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
From what I've seen from both teams, you may not need to pass much. Their QB will be running for his life. I don't think they can handle your DL, especially if you force then to their left. No prediction, but I think it will be a convincing win for Penn State.
Stats reflect your perception. PSU is 9th in generating havoc (defense) and USC is 93rd against havoc (offense).

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
We get a good running game going with a healthy Singleton and others chipping in, USC's run defense was very soft against MInnesota. Takes the pressure off of Allar and PSU will pop that Trojan by 14 point spread.
Minnesota had 193 yds rushing and 169 yds passing vs USC. That's a good rushing effort but not dominant. Overall they were well balanced.

Was Donkoh's absence the reason why our running attack slowed vs UCLA? Will he play vs USC? IMO not if he had a dislocation.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
USC is who they are.

Their defense is improved. They're giving up 18.4 ppg so fat this year and that includes LSU (20), Michigan (27), Wisconsin (21), and Minny (24). I'm not saying they have a great defense but it certainly looks better than last year.

Reactions: PSUFTG

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
PSU 27
USC 24

Is there anybody who would be upset with this result?

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login