Officiating last night

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Was I being a homer or was the officiating in that UT game as egregiously bad and one sided as it seemed?

I know we were undersized, especially with Carter sitting so much (speaking of officiating), so maybe there was stuff going on down low that wasn't obvious on video.

But it just seemed they were really helping UT out every time they needed it.

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012
You were not being a homer. It was bad. Can't remember the exact numbers but toward the end of regulation one of the announcers pointed out that UT was 20 of 25 on FTs and we were something like 7 of 10.

Reactions: She Mate Me

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
pitiful--the call that we were out of bounds under the goal was terrible. they fouled Annie one time and the Ref told her to shut up. Sam can't get a T when he did--even though He had a right to be pissed.. that was the worst I've ever seen.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Why I thought people on here only complained about officiating after a loss. Of course the officiating is biased. The people calling the game are human and have their biases. There may even be some influence from Birmingham in some games. You didn't hear it from me though!

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The most egregious one was the one Purcell got his technical on. The Tennessee girl threw her butt into our player, knocked her down and then fell on top of her and we get called for the foul. Sam was irate and got a tech. The call was so bad the refs had to go to the monitor to determine who would even be shooting free throws for Tennessee.

ETA: Tennessee was 37-44 from the free throw line. They didn’t make a field goal from 3:14 of the fourth quarter to 0:15 of the first overtime but scored 14 straight points at the free throw line during that time.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
So, we're getting a pretty solid consensus here

What are the avenues actually available to formally complain about biased officiating? Does the SEC office ever issue apologies or announce corrective actions?

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008
The Tennessee girl threw her butt into our player, knocked her down and then fell on top of her and we get called for the foul. Sam was irate and got a tech.

This was the worst one!!

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
pitiful--the call that we were out of bounds under the goal was terrible. they fouled Annie one time and the Ref told her to shut up. Sam can't get a T when he did--even though He had a right to be pissed.. that was the worst I've ever seen.

I thought that out of bounds call was way off, but I couldn't see her foot clearly. Looked like she was nowhere near the line and she didn't think so.

The ref was literally looking down the line, so if she was wrong it's hard to believe it was a simple mistake.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
So, we're getting a pretty solid consensus here

What are the avenues actually available to formally complain about biased officiating? Does the SEC office ever issue apologies or announce corrective actions?

Twitch Quote GIF by Hyper RPG
Michael Jones Shut Up GIF by Achievement Hunter

Official SEC response

GTDawg

Sep 8, 2021
I have watched a lot of basketball in my life, and I have seen coaches do much worse and not get a technical. You def can't get a T at that point, but in that situation the ref should give a stern warning unless it had been constant or one of those words you just can't say is said.

It was the one official who was making the egregious calls.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I didn't watch the game last night, but Wyatt went off about it this morning on his pod. He's not typically one to ***** about refs affecting games, so when he says it that plainly, it must have been bad.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Late in the game the announcer (she was horrible) said we were called for 40 fouls and TN only 13. Those refs where brutal
By looking at the box score, you would have thought this game was in Knoxville. If they had not been given the FTs at the end of regulation or the first OT, we would have walked off with a win in regular time. In the first OT they made 1 FG and shot 10 FTs... combine the 4 FTs they got at the end of regulation for flopping and Ting up our coach, they got 14 consecutive points from the line.

Final FT Tally

Tenn - 44 fouls - 37 points
MSU - 30 fouls - 19 points

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
You are not a homer. You gave an honest assessment of the crap that modeled itself as ‘unbiased observer who keeps the game fair for both teams’. The people who were there to do that job, didn’t do that.

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
It was the one with the longer hair…she was good awful. She tried to say we were in a one and one free throw situation in the second OT when we clearly weren’t…blatantly bad officiating

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
It was the one with the longer hair…she was good awful. She tried to say we were in a one and one free throw situation in the second OT when we clearly weren’t…blatantly bad officiating
There’s no such thing as a one and one in women’s basketball anymore. Fouls reset each quarter and starting the fifth foul in each quarter teams get two free throws. If she was trying to say we had a one and one, then she is incompetent.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Was I being a homer or was the officiating in that UT game as egregiously bad and one sided as it seemed?

I know we were undersized, especially with Carter sitting so much (speaking of officiating), so maybe there was stuff going on down low that wasn't obvious on video.

But it just seemed they were really helping UT out every time they needed it.

Yes, especially toward the end of the game.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I thought that out of bounds call was way off, but I couldn't see her foot clearly. Looked like she was nowhere near the line and she didn't think so.

The ref was literally looking down the line, so if she was wrong it's hard to believe it was a simple mistake.
We could have seen her feet if they'd removed the ticker on the bottom just for a few seconds during the replay.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
I totally concur with comments herein RE: officiating. It was officially HORRIBLE!! On a related note, I'm not close enough watching on TV, but it seems to me that J. Carter is just "marked for death" so to speak by ALL of the SEC zebras. It doesn't seem that she can breathe out there without being whistled for a foul. And it seems that many of them are very much touch/ticky-tack fouls.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Agreed about J. Carter and fouls. I get a kick out of Danae Carter when they call a foul on her. She gives them her best Philadelphia ’what the f**k do you think you calling on me!!’ look.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login