OK we know who the playoff teams are...who plays who...nm

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Cotton Bowl - (1) Bama vs. (4) Cincy
Orange Bowl - (2/3) Michigan vs. (2/3) UGA

Nick Saban is going to have 3 weeks to prepare for a G5 school….I’m sure that will turn out well for the Bearcats. The order of Michigan and Georgia doesn’t really matter. Overall, it’s pretty clean cut, no real reason to do it any differently than that.

Last edited:

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I don't think the NCAA will take a chance on an all SEC final again.

I don't even know where this persecution complex comes from. The Selection Committee has always been very favorable to the SEC, to the point where every other conference complains about "SEC bias" in the committee's rankings. I don't think there's a single example going back to 2014 of an SEC team being unfairly screwed over as far as making the playoff, playoff seed, or making a NY6 bowl.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I don't even know where this persecution complex comes from. The Selection Committee has always been very favorable to the SEC, to the point where every other conference complains about "SEC bias" in the committee's rankings. I don't think there's a single example going back to 2014 of an SEC team being unfairly screwed over as far as making the playoff, playoff seed, or making a NY6 bowl.

Well it really won't matter, the game that likely determines the title will be the Bama-UGA rematch whenever it occurs. Michigan is the only one that might dent that, and I don't see them beating either UGA or Bama. If they want the best two teams in the title game they will set it up for a Bama-UGA rematch there. I'll say this, I'll be rooting for Michigan.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I'll also say this, I hope whoever gets Cincinnati in the semi beats the ever loving crap out of them. Put that Group of 5 crap to rest permanently.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Problem is what do you do with Ga. Mich is going to 1.

Bama has to move up so they go to 2

Now do you drop Ga to 4??? They shouldn't drop that much but unless they drop them to 4 it'll be Bama vs Ga in first round.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008

Now do you drop Ga to 4??? They shouldn't drop that much but unless they drop them to 4 it'll be Bama vs Ga in first round.

Easy. They'll bump Alabama up to #1.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012

Bama is 1 for sure, much bigger win than Michigan today. I would say Georgia is 2 but I can see Michigan at 2 also. I guess they don’t really care about 4 this year.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Michigan ain’t going to #1

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Texas A&M last year.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I'll also say this, I hope whoever gets Cincinnati in the semi beats the ever loving crap out of them. Put that Group of 5 crap to rest permanently.

Alabama will likely beat Cincinnati by multiple TDs, but that has no bearing on what happens in future years, just like Alabama beating Michigan State 38-0 in 2015 or Clemson beating Ohio State 31-0 in 2016 had no bearing on whether Big 10 teams were considered in subsequent years.

Every prospective playoff team can, should, and will be judged on their own merits, not how some entirely different school played in a past year.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Nobody wants to see UGA and BAMA play again - not in the finals - not in the semis.
The committee should drop UGA out. What's their best win? Tennessee? Michigan looks to be the best team. Cincy looked good in their win, so be prepared for Notre Dame to sneak in now. That would be funny.

1- Michigan
2 - Cincy
3 - Bama
4 - ND (maybe Baylor)

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Alabama will likely beat Cincinnati by multiple TDs, but that has no bearing on what happens in future years, just like Alabama beating Michigan State 38-0 in 2015 or Clemson beating Ohio State 31-0 in 2016 had no bearing on whether Big 10 teams were considered in subsequent years.

Every prospective playoff team can, should, and will be judged on their own merits, not how some entirely different school played in a past year.

No group of five team should ever be considered for the playoff. They by definition play a crap schedule.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Nobody wants to see UGA and BAMA play again - not in the finals - not in the semis.
The committee should drop UGA out. What's their best win? Tennessee? Michigan looks to be the best team. Cincy looked good in their win, so be prepared for Notre Dame to sneak in now. That would be funny.

1- Michigan
2 - Cincy
3 - Bama
4 - ND (maybe Baylor)

If that's the case Bama strolls to the title, which they may do no matter who is in it.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Why was Mich at 2? Both teams were 11-1 going into today and Mich was ahead.

Bama may go to 1 but I don't see it if they had Mich already ahead of Bama.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Why was Mich at 2? Both teams were 11-1 going into today and Mich was ahead.

Bama may go to 1 but I don't see it if they had Mich already ahead of Bama.
Alabama will get a lot more credit for beating the previous #1 team than Michigan will for beating a team that was #13.

The selection committee has been willing to move teams around in the rankings from week to week going all the way back to 2014.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

1- Michigan
2 - Cincy
3 - Bama
4 - ND (maybe Baylor)

View attachment 23183

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
No group of five team should ever be considered for the playoff. They by definition play a crap schedule.

Who would you put in Cincinnati's spot?

• Notre Dame, a team that lost to ... Cincinnati?
  • A 2-loss team that didn't win its conference like Michigan State, Ohio State, or Ole Miss?
  • A 3-loss conference champion like Utah?
  • A 2-loss conference champion like Pittsburgh whose SOS isn't much better than Cincinnati and lost to Western Michigan (last place team in MAC West)?

There's just no way to leave Cincinnati out. It would be a tough call if they hadn't played Notre Dame, but since they did and knocked out the only plausible team who could've gotten their spot, they have to have earned it.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
UGA has 3 wins over current top 25 teams (of which UT is not one). They are tied for most in the country in that category.

Last edited:

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Who would you put in Cincinnati's spot?

• Notre Dame, a team that lost to ... Cincinnati?
  • A 2-loss team that didn't win its conference like Michigan State, Ohio State, or Ole Miss?
  • A 3-loss conference champion like Utah?
  • A 2-loss conference champion like Pittsburgh whose SOS isn't much better than Cincinnati and lost to Western Michigan (last place team in MAC West)?

There's just no way to leave Cincinnati out. It would be a tough call if they hadn't played Notre Dame, but since they did and knocked out the only plausible team who could've gotten their spot, they have to have earned it.

Cincinnati's whole resume is dependent on that win against Notre Dame. Notre Dame is a dang running joke these days when it comes to BCS/Playoff football. If you wanted to get right down to it Baylor probably should get Cincinnati's spot. Hell, Ole Miss would knee cap Cincinnati. We probably would too. There are probably 30-40 Power Five teams better than Cincinnati. Notre Dame isn't one of them.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Bama had not beaten the #1 team prior to today.

This year. Since only them and UGA held that rank this year opportunities were a bit limited. From what the TV guys said Bama broke the record all time for beating #1 teams today. One of them was us, the only time we ever held that rank.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Obviously I meant this year. I was pointing out the justification for the committee to move Bama ahead of Michigan.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008

Can't disagree more. Undefeated "Cinderella" needs to be protected and coveted in sport. If not then the tournament bracket isn't large enough.

drumrcraig

Aug 22, 2012
The committee should drop UGA out. What’s their best win?

1- Michigan
2 - Cincy
3 - Bama
4 - ND (maybe Baylor)

It’s funny to me tha You think UGa’s schedule is too weak to be included because they have no good wins, but then you include Notre Dame. I will ask you the same you posed about UGa. What is Notre Dame’s best win? As another poster mentioned, UGa has three current top 25 wins (Clemson, Arkansas, and UK), and blew out two of them. Notre Dame has 0 wins against the current top 25. Also the committee has shown that win loss record matters. They will never pass up a 0 or 1 loss P5 team to include a two loss team. Baylor’s two losses (and bad TCU loss) knocks them out.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
The ranking needs to be
1 Bama
2 Michigan
3 Cincy
4 UGA

This way we get the repeat SEC matchup out of the way in the semis. Then hope MI doesn’t **** the bed.

AtlantaDawg

Nov 27, 2017
The ranking needs to be
1 Bama
2 Michigan
3 Cincy
4 UGA

This way we get the repeat SEC matchup out of the way in the semis. Then hope MI doesn’t **** the bed.

The flip side of this argument is that you essentially schedule the very game “no one wants to see - Bama UGA”, and thus guarantee that an SEC team makes the final. If u pit Bama against Cinci and UGA against Mich, then u give each Cinderella team a chance to make the final and prove they belong by knocking out the SEC. if both wins, the SEC has been collectively knocked out of the finals. If one Cinderella wins, u avoid a final no one wants to watch....

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
No idea what they will do but it probably should be:

1 or 2: Alabama and Michigan
3: georgia
4: Cincinnati

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think they schedule that game for the opposite reason. To guarantee a non-SEC team makes the final. But they should schedule 1-Michigan vs 4-Georgia, and 2-Bama vs 3-Cincy.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
So you want to drop GA (and their 3 wins against Top 25 teams and only loss to Alabama who will probably be #1 today) out of the playoff, and possibly replace them with Baylor that has a loss to a terrible 5-7 TCU ? Really? Please explain?

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
I get that Bama beat the better opponent yesterday, but they were #3 coming in. Number 2 Michigan absolutely leveled Iowa coming off an impressive win over then #2 Ohio State. They are peaking at the right time. I see the committee going with:

1 - Michigan
2 - Alabama
3 - Cincinnati
4 - Georgia

I don't think Georgia in its current state beats Michigan, so that's the best chance at avoiding an SEC final outside making them play in the semifinals.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login