Ole Miss offense

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Well, in my previous thread about Ole Miss, I noted that one reason to have a glimmer of hope in this game is that our game would be their first true hostile environment of the year. That much holds true. Unfortunately, UK knocked them off, so we can't say we'll be their first real test of the year.

Coming into the UK game, they were averaging 670 yards on offense. They had a little more than half that, 353 yards, against UK. They were averaging 55 points and put up 17 against UK.

It begs the question: what does it mean? Anything? Obviously, their numbers inflated from playing a string of absolute nobodies in their first 4 games, but are they more like the Ole Miss from Games 1-4 or more like the Ole Miss from the UK game? Is their offense like those of Clemson back during our 5-peat, when they always came in with a high octane attack that would sputter against a real defensive challenge? Lots of questions from this game.

I'm inclined to chalk this up to an off day for Ole Miss. I don't think they viewed UK as anything more than a speed bump and weren't prepared for a tough fight. The concern, of course, is that they refocus ahead of their first game in front of a hostile crowd. My preference would have been for them to come in overconfident, as they did against UK, so we could catch them napping, as UK did. I don't think that'll happen now.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
The truth is usually in the middle. They aren't as good as they lo9ked beating up on patsies, and they aren't as bad as they looked against UK.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The truth is usually in the middle. They aren't as good as they lo9ked beating up on patsies, and they aren't as bad as they looked against UK.

The UK loss really muddles things. I was hoping/thinking Ole Miss would win but look vulnerable. Now we have to ask, after UK's performance against UGA and Ole Miss: Is UK really a pretty good team and their performance against us was just a fluke? Is Ole Miss really not all that good or was their performance against UK just a fluke? Depending on the answers to those questions, what does our win against UK mean now?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lurker123

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It all comes down to juices foot

He's not close to their leading receiver right now. Harris has 49 receptions and 804 yards. Wells is 3rd with 14 receptions and 275 yards.

He obviously would have been the centerpiece of our offense and I imagine his stats would overall look better had he stayed.

Reactions: USClight

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
He's not close to their leading receiver right now. Harris has 49 receptions and 804 yards. Wells is 3rd with 14 receptions and 275 yards.

He obviously would have been the centerpiece of our offense and I imagine his stats would overall look better had he stayed.
I think some of our fans overrated Juice.

Looking forward to our DL b_tch-slapping Dart on Saturday.....on our way to the playoffs.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Hard to make adjustments when your starting QB goes down. I thought that staff made great adjustments against UK.
There is certainly an aspect that adjustments are a lot to easier to make when you have the talent to implement the adjustments.

It just feels, though, like we have typically done the same thing and expected different results. Under Muschamp for sure. And feels that way under Beamer. “Running up the middle not working? We run up the middle more and harder!”

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
There is certainly an aspect that adjustments are a lot to easier to make when you have the talent to implement the adjustments.

It just feels, though, like we have typically done the same thing and expected different results. Under Muschamp for sure. And feels that way under Beamer. “Running up the middle not working? We run up the middle more and harder!”
I don’t believe that this is the case for this staff. I watched us run up the middle against UK and when it didn’t work, I saw us run to the outside in the second half and had success. I saw the same thing against LSU. Lanorris looked like the best QB on the field against LSU before he got hurt. That’s an adjustment from game 1 to game 3. I didn’t see Muschamp QBs get better game by game. Tbh, we looked worse when we got close to the end of the season. Beamer teams got better every year.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
UK beat Ole Miss by being more physical than they. Ole Miss is a pansy team. Now that I've seen them, my conclusion is that there is no excuse for us losing to them.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
Feb 4, 2022
Well, in my previous thread about Ole Miss, I noted that one reason to have a glimmer of hope in this game is that our game would be their first true hostile environment of the year. That much holds true. Unfortunately, UK knocked them off, so we can't say we'll be their first real test of the year.

Coming into the UK game, they were averaging 670 yards on offense. They had a little more than half that, 353 yards, against UK. They were averaging 55 points and put up 17 against UK.

It begs the question: what does it mean? Anything? Obviously, their numbers inflated from playing a string of absolute nobodies in their first 4 games, but are they more like the Ole Miss from Games 1-4 or more like the Ole Miss from the UK game? Is their offense like those of Clemson back during our 5-peat, when they always came in with a high octane attack that would sputter against a real defensive challenge? Lots of questions from this game.

I'm inclined to chalk this up to an off day for Ole Miss. I don't think they viewed UK as anything more than a speed bump and weren't prepared for a tough fight. The concern, of course, is that they refocus ahead of their first game in front of a hostile crowd. My preference would have been for them to come in overconfident, as they did against UK, so we could catch them napping, as UK did. I don't think that'll happen now.
Hopefully it'll be scenario of the Kentucky lose beating Ole Miss twice

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
UK beat Ole Miss by being more physical than they. Ole Miss is a pansy team. Now that I've seen them, my conclusion is that there is no excuse for us losing to them.

We shall see. I think the UK likely served as a wakeup call for Ole Miss. They probably came in thinking they would steamroll UK more or less to the same degree they had done everyone else up to that point. When UK socked them in the mouth, they weren't prepared for it. I was really hoping this is how OUR game with them would go. But UK beat us to it and diminished our chances of a win.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Not sure how it translates this year, but last year Ole Miss averaged 44 points at home and 22 points on the road.

PD-Cock

Jan 29, 2022
We shall see. I think the UK likely served as a wakeup call for Ole Miss. They probably came in thinking they would steamroll UK more or less to the same degree they had done everyone else up to that point. When UK socked them in the mouth, they weren't prepared for it. I was really hoping this is how OUR game with them would go. But UK beat us to it and diminished our chances of a win.
4 things, control the edges defensively. Smother Harris & routes across the middle. Put QB on the ground or continually throwing ball away. Our D-line can get pressure. More we snuff out their QB, we control their offense.
I suspect we'll see more focus on screens & quick run plays, catch us creeping up, pop bomb to neglected receiver.
Prediction- 1st offensive play bomb to streaking receiver on edge. You know he'll do it, can't help himself.
If you think about, key to us winning is basic football 101. OL,OL,OL. Offense has to, has to move the sticks. Defensive backfield has to play as if they are Einstein's of college football. Smart, intelligent & decisively, effectively quick to respond. Smart? Not getting stupid interference/holding calls @ inappropriate times.
Successful "Beamer Ball" play a some point in the game would really help too.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
4 things, control the edges defensively. Smother Harris & routes across the middle. Put QB on the ground or continually throwing ball away. Our D-line can get pressure. More we snuff out their QB, we control their offense.
I suspect we'll see more focus on screens & quick run plays, catch us creeping up, pop bomb to neglected receiver.
Prediction- 1st offensive play bomb to streaking receiver on edge. You know he'll do it, can't help himself.
If you think about, key to us winning is basic football 101. OL,OL,OL. Offense has to, has to move the sticks. Defensive backfield has to play as if they are Einstein's of college football. Smart, intelligent & decisively, effectively quick to respond. Smart? Not getting stupid interference/holding calls @ inappropriate times.
Successful "Beamer Ball" play a some point in the game would really help too.

Interesting note on the interference calls. I was thinking yesterday this would be a risk for us. Ole Miss will surely pressure and stretch our pass D, so our guys just have to play smart.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login