Olemiss’ baseball expansion is on twitter

AlSwearengen

Aug 22, 2012
Awful! No character at all. I assumed that after we won it all, they would be selling their daughters and wives to try to buy a championship, beginning with facilities.

That said, Cohen needs to dress up the Lofts with some signage of some sort. And take that “1 National Championship” sign off of the outfield wall.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
What are they doing to it?

We might wanna check into this if it makes the experience better. We've had lots of empty seats
I think they are removing some of the cheap metal bleachers and putting in a scoreboard type club and Jumbotron in North Endzone.

tatedog

Mar 28, 2015
The last thing you need in a stadium is "character" when your fans have discovered that you can throw your beer in the air. I mean once you hit that point, it's all window dressing.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
This whole baseball concept reminds me of that eclectic hodge podge of an aluminum football stadium they're so proud of

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Also tearing down and rebuilding the west side, with all chair backs

Well isn't that a novel idea. We should have done this years ago to our west side (which IS an uncomfortable ********). Maybe this will get Cohen moving on doing something. It's been something that has slipped past us with the endzone renovation and brand hew Dude, which are both fantastic, but our football stadium has some major cosmetic and comfort issues. The architecture of the West Side press box should NOT be allowed in an SEC stadium.

Look at the side of our stadium from the Junction is abysmal. Seeing the innards of a stadium built in the early 1900's shouldn't happen. We could easily cover that up with brick. Just lots of issues.

Last edited:

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013
Thought I’d jump in here to comment that I don’t care about any baseball stadium except the home of the National Champs.

There are a number of other places you can read about other stadiums on the internets.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
No surprise Ole Miss is investing more into baseball facilities.

Swayze Field is likely a National Top 10 stadium but it might be fifth at best in the SEC.

[FONT="]Ole Miss has announced a new campaign for campus wide renovations, including a $40 million investment into Swayze Field.Renovations include a new indoor facility in RF, improved OF seating with concessions/restrooms, & a new home plate plaza entrance.The arms race rolls on. pic.twitter.com/PlI1igD032— SEC Baseball (@SECbaseball) January 1, 2022 [/FONT]

Last edited:

IPMdawg

Aug 22, 2012
Throwing beer in the air on metal bleachers will be fun to watch compared to the gravel they stand on now. Will be a lot of slipping and falls.

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013

Swayze Field is likely a National Top 10 stadium but it might be fifth at best in the SEC.

[FONT="]Ole Miss has announced a new campaign for campus wide renovations, including a $40 million investment into Swayze Field.Renovations include a new indoor facility in RF, improved OF seating with concessions/restrooms, & a new home plate plaza entrance.The arms race rolls on. pic.twitter.com/PlI1igD032— SEC Baseball (@SECbaseball) January 1, 2022 [/FONT]

Agreed. If Ole Miss wants to keep up in baseball, upgrades are necessary. It’s a really nice stadium, on a national scale. But if you are recruiting against MSU, LSU, or Arkansas, it isn’t going to be a plus in the Ole Miss column. The SEC West is a monster.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I like Chris Burke's comment. I mean seriously, what has to happen to get more scholarships?

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

My sense is that across the board, universities may be accelerating plans for these types of projects in all sports as it will be perceived to help with on-campus recuiting. This will especially heat up in the SEC - never mind other conferences.

I'm still surprised it took MSU as long as it did to re-do The Dude considering our baseball school tradition and legacy.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Big XII and ACC, for sure…both in a race to keep pace with the high level of activity in the SEC. Both conferences also have rich traditions of baseball programs.

it might be worthy to keep an eye on softball programs, as well. There’s always good synergy between the two sports, plus it is helpful for recruiting and diversity

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Here are two Kendall Rogers tweets you might find interesting:

And people are right, if we are spending this amount of $ on facilities, student athletes should be getting more $ in college baseball. Thankfully, NIL is already giving all players at some programs around $1K a month. More will follow.— Kendall Rogers (@KendallRogers) January 2, 2022

At this point, raising NIL money is the most effective way by far to get college baseball players taken care of. Honestly, it might be our silver bullet long term. https://t.co/nU42MdGyqZ— Kendall Rogers (@KendallRogers) January 2, 2022

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Problem is, a lot of those NIL deals that are based on a certain team will get phased out once all the legislation is sorted.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Or they could be grandfathered in since they were established before the legislation much like Alabama's lauded Bear Bryant scholarships to the children of his former players.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login