OM at MSU , Baseball, 4-14-23

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I’m not finding issues with anything. He didn’t deserve to hit 4th. He wasn’t 7th on the team in ops. Maybe not Hancock but Hatcher played in 45 games

I’m not splitting hairs here. We hit both westburg and Skelton who were better hitters with better numbers behind him that season because mac was a fan and coach favorite

but again point was: someone who was nothing more than a solid role guy here. Talking about what this team lacks, and claiming it’s an it factor is hilkadious. Again how do we know he had it and these kids don’t. I’m not sure mac would start on this current team anyway. I wouldn’t play him over any of the current outfielders and certainly not in the dh spot over Hines
Id play him over Ledbetter right now. Id play Chance over Ledbetter. I cant believe Ledbetter and Alford are so bad. They didn’t hit coach pitch this summer.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I did lose a lot for Ledbetter with the 2-0 swing last night. But he’s still a lot better player than mac ever was
Ledbetter is hitting .245 in conference with a .700 OPS. And thats not even halfway through. He looks at way too many good pitches.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Mac?

foscue
Mangum
Skelton
Hancock
Hatcher
Allen

all had better ops
Westburg was just under him and if anyone wants to argue who the better hitter was between those two I’m all ears

he hit 4th due to rep and because He was liked by lemonis no way did he deserve to hit 4th in that order

But again point was: someone who was a 290 career hitter and was very much a role player taking about this team lacks an it factor is hiloarious. Even more comical is giving him a job on staff with 0 experience just because he hit a few homers

Hatcher and Hancock weren’t regulars in 2019. They were platoon guys based on pitching matchups. Mac was an every day player and had the 5th highest OPS of the 6 or 7 players who played every game.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I agree. Him Larry highfill and Forsythe are killing the order right now. I see potiental with Ledbetter, highfill will likely get better with age, the other two I think are simply over matched

Ledbetter should be a 7-8-9 guy

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Hatcher and Hancock weren’t regulars in 2019. They were platoon guys based on pitching matchups. Mac was an every day player and had the 5th highest OPS of the 6 or 7 players who played every game.

Hatcher played in 45 games. Perhaps he shouldn’t have been platooned if he was out producing our clean up guy in 2/3rds of the games.

also again I state, westy was on that team as well.

no way he should have hit 4fh. Again he hit there because he was a lemonis favorite but again that wasn’t really the point. He was a role guy. And nothing more. The ol it factor he has that he claims this team doesn’t is downright silly

• Sad

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The much more relevant question is has anyone talked to Hatcher about why he couldn’t make contact with a ball in 21 and then tore it up in 22 - against even the P5 comp KSU faced?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Hatcher played in 45 games. Perhaps he shouldn’t have been platooned if he was out producing our clean up guy in 2/3rds of the games.

also again I state, westy was on that team as well.

no way he should have hit 4fh. Again he hit there because he was a lemonis favorite but again that wasn’t really the point. He was a role guy. And nothing more. The ol it factor he has that he claims this team doesn’t is downright silly

I think you’re missing the point. Hatcher’s production was against RH pitching only. That was his role. He sucked against LH pitching and that’s why he didn’t play every day. Anyone who gets almost all their AB’s in a favorable pitching matchup is going to have deceptively high OPS, average, etc. Hancock and Cumbest were in that same category in 2019 too.

And yeah of course Westburg was on the team….I’m not sure what you’re arguing there. He started every game. You saying he should have hit 4th over Mac even though he had a lower OPS and lower SLG%?

You wanna be pissed about the 5th best OPS guy and 4th best slugging guy hitting 4th, I guess have at it. Really weird hill to die on though.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You’re real quick to tell someone he’s missing the point. I’m not dying on any hill. I said and stand by this:

Mac was a role guy. Average player here. Should not have hit 4th. He has the 7th best ops on the team. And it’s laughable that he claims this team doenst have “it” basically referring to the fact that he did have “it”. It’s also laughable that anyone here would want him to join a coaching staff because he hit a few homers here.

Mac had his career, it was an average one, he was a contributor to 2 good teams. His opinion on this team is worth about as much as anyones on this board and his chances of Joining the staff is the same

• Sad

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Also in conference play that year his ops was behind

allen
Mangum
Foscue
Skelton
Westburg
Jordan

and one more thing if you say Hatcher was platooned ok, the other half of that platoon was Marshall Gilbert. The platoon combined to hit better than mac did that season

Not dying on any hill. But of the regular spots mac didn’t deserve to hit 4th more like 6-7th.

he hit there bexause lemonis, much like lemonis wouldn’t move certain guys out of the order last season. Much like Hancock continues to hit in the middle of the order now and guys like Forsythe continue to play. He gets loyal to certain guys and won’t move them regardless

• Sad

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Also in conference play that year his ops was behind

allen
Mangum
Foscue
Skelton
Westburg
Jordan

Check again there, my guy. Westburg SEC-only OPS was .840. Magnum was .853 (irrelevant bc obviously he was gonna hit leadoff and be in the Top 4 of order). Skelton was .827. Mac was .856. Didn’t check others but a lot of those are certainly wrong.

And another thing….since you brought up conference only stats, in SEC games only MSU led the SEC in OPS and was 2nd in runs scored by only 7 to Vanderbilt in 2019. It was an elite offensive club all year long. It’s pretty stunning that with all the meat on the bone that there is to argue that Lemonis and this staff are not up to par, you’re choosing to nitpick the batting order from THAT team from four 17ing years ago.

Gilbert was also 2nd catcher and platooned there a bit to give Skelton an occasional break. Although there were different combinations, the main platoon guy with Hatcher was Cumbest (the Cumbest who couldn’t hit a curve ball to save his life) And in any case, platoon guys don’t hit high in the order because you’re likely just going to take them out at the first or second pitching change anyway and you don’t want that spot in the lineup being occupied by a backup for multiple innings. Gilbert and Skelton were also slow as Christmas, which likely factored in to what we wanted to do in the top half of the order.

And try as you might, you can’t just add Hatcher to Cumbest or Gilbert or whoever and call that a single player that is better than MacNamee.

I’ll end by saying your disdain for MacNamee is strange and you seem a little too (oddly) triggered by his comments. At worst, he was a very solid middle of the order bat on what was probably the most talented overall team in MSU history, and certainly one of the best offensive teams we’ve ever had. That’s a hell of a lot better than average. And his comments on our program as a former player under several different coaches are worth way more than yours and mine put together. This is my last post on the matter.

Last edited:

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
352' BomB from Calarco makes it 3-2 Sharks. (Thanks Cohen for moving those fences in from 375' to 350')

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

And he (ultimately) put us in a World Series with one monstrous at bat.

17 OPS. It donut measure cohones like that.

mike tice

Sep 30, 2022
Big Mac was an average player his entire career. Another one given way too much credit. He hit 4th bc he was big hit Mac but didnt deserve to hit there. Another loyality issue with Lemonis shown early. People remember the few big hits he got and forget to all the many strikeouts he had. He’s a 290 hitter who was again an average at best player here.

I wouldn’t trust his judgement on these players or this team, nor would i hire someone with 0 experience to fix this roster situation.

Funny he says the “it” factor. Something that can be measured or even explained, yet I’m sure in his eyes he had it and these kids dont
Yeah 17 off.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login