OM tragedy.....if this has been posted I apologize

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Prayers for the families. I can't imagine as a parent getting that phone call that your child is dead. I hope they catch the people responsible.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Prayers for the families. I can't imagine as a parent getting that phone call that your child is dead. I hope they catch the people responsible.
My wife's family went through that a long time ago. The wounds never completely heal. I feel very sorry for the victims' families.

Last edited:

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
They don't call if possible.

When my son was hit in Houston, the georgia sheriff's came to our house.

...and yes, if you have kids you can imagine how bad that goes over. I'm 2 years in and it's the wound that doesn't heal.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Things getting crazy in every town.
True Tv Land GIF by YoungerTV

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I saw some comments that indicate this wasn't an accident. I would like to be wrong on that. I can't imagine getting a call or visit saying my freshman son was dead. I honestly don't know if I could handle it. I truly hurt for those parents. If this if fraternity related (thinking of the fight in the stands KY @ UM), this is sick and needs to be dealt with immediately IMO. I can't imagine being so mad and sick in the head that I'd run two people over, especially a female. The perp has some splainin' to do before they throw away the key as he has lost the right to co-exist in a civil society IMO. Why can't youngsters these days just have fist fights then move on like we used to do?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I saw some comments that indicate this wasn't an accident. I would like to be wrong on that. I can't imagine getting a call or visit saying my freshman son was dead. I honestly don't know if I could handle it. I truly hurt for those parents. If this if fraternity related (thinking of the fight in the stands KY @ UM), this is sick and needs to be dealt with immediately IMO. I can't imagine being so mad and sick in the head that I'd run two people over, especially a female. The perp has some splainin' to do before they throw away the key as he has lost the right to co-exist in a civil society IMO. Why can't youngsters these days just have fist fights then move on like we used to do?
Murders weren’t a thing when you were growing up? This guy (or guys) can be a piece of **** without a whole generation being responsible.

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
The story I’m hearing is there were guys groping girls in the bar and an altercation occurred at the bar. When the Madison boy and is gf left the bar they were attacked and the boy was badly beaten. They were both run over as the gf was trying to help the injured boy. Hard to believe we have gotten to this point.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
They don't call if possible.

When my son was hit in Houston, the georgia sheriff's came to our house.

...and yes, if you have kids you can imagine how bad that goes over. I'm 2 years in and it's the wound that doesn't heal.
It is definitely the wound that doesn’t heal…two years for me this Dec 24.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Murders weren’t a thing when you were growing up? This guy (or guys) can be a piece of **** without a whole generation being responsible.
You are obvioiously very young, not smart and oblivious to history.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
One of two suspects in the death of an Ole Miss student has been arrested.

“We have identified the suspects as Seth Rokitka and Tristan Holland, both of Collierville, Tennessee.

“Moments ago in Shelby County, Tennessee, Holland was taken into custody for accessory after the fact and will face extradition back to Oxford,” OPD said in a statement.

“We are working actively with local, state, and federal officials to bring Rokitka into custody. He is driving a Toyota Tundra with Tennessee license plate number 0J76U6,” OPD said. “If anyone has information on his location they are to contact the Oxford Police Department at 662-232-2400 or CrimeStoppers at 662-234-8799.”

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
One of two suspects in the death of an Ole Miss student has been arrested.

“We have identified the suspects as Seth Rokitka and Tristan Holland, both of Collierville, Tennessee.

“Moments ago in Shelby County, Tennessee, Holland was taken into custody for accessory after the fact and will face extradition back to Oxford,” OPD said in a statement.

“We are working actively with local, state, and federal officials to bring Rokitka into custody. He is driving a Toyota Tundra with Tennessee license plate number 0J76U6,” OPD said. “If anyone has information on his location they are to contact the Oxford Police Department at 662-232-2400 or CrimeStoppers at 662-234-8799.”
Rot in hell mother17ers

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I read through this whole thread and didn't see it mentioned, but just so everyone here knows - Walker's parents went to State, and his sister is a State student now. Great, great family, and I'm sure they are friends of many people on this board besides me. It's a tragedy anytime a child is killed, but this hits really close to home. My kids grew up with Walker, and I've known his parents for 30+ years. Cannot imagine the nightmare they are living right now. God bless them all.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
I read through this whole thread and didn't see it mentioned, but just so everyone here knows - Walker's parents went to State, and his sister is a State student now. Great, great family, and I'm sure they are friends of many people on this board besides me. It's a tragedy anytime a child is killed, but this hits really close to home. My kids grew up with Walker, and I've known his parents for 30+ years. Cannot imagine the nightmare they are living right now. God bless them all.
Is his father Bill, a CPA?

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009
I graduated from State in '94, and then went to grad school at OM. When I was at OM in the mid-90s, people went to bars around the square, but there generally weren't crowds on the sidewalks/streets.

Moved back to Oxford 6 years ago for work, now with kids (i.e., I don't go out any more). One morning in Sunday school a few years ago, our preacher said that he'd picked somebody up at the Memphis airport the night before, and was passing through the square around 11:30 pm. He said, "Have any of you been through there that time of night lately? It's like Bourbon Street." Not too long after that, the kids and I ate on the square on a Saturday night and were leaving around 9:00 or so, and I was struck by how many students were already on the streets, drinking and smoking, obv there to get the night started.

I think what's happened is that the square has turned into something like Bourbon/Beale St. on weekend nights with big crowds on the streets and sidewalks. This has started to attract a lot of non-students from other areas, along with some less-desirable elements (drug dealers who want to be in a college town, small-time thieves there to pickpocket, break in cars, etc.). It looks like these guys were some random dudes from out of town who thought it was ok to act like they were on Bourbon St., and it sadly escalated from there. I think the city has tried to combat it w/ a pretty big police presence, but who knows.

Reactions: Msdeltareb

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Yes, **** happened back in the day, too, but not like today. It's a different world now. This isn't even arguable.
I disagree with you but I’m not going to debate you on it. I’ll just agree to disagree

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I disagree with you but I’m not going to debate you on it. I’ll just agree to disagree
Back in the day there was more discipline in the home. The police enforced the law without fear of reprisals. Social media and general dumbassery that comes with it didn't exist. Actions had consequences more often than not. Parents looked out not only for their kids, but for other kids, and in small places like Oxford or other areas we grew up in around Mississippi, everyone knew everyone. If I was out in the street acting like a fool and someone who knew me saw it, they would beat my *** then take me home for my dad to beat my ***.

You can disagree and I respect your opinion to do so. But there's really no debate to be had about it.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Moved back to Oxford 6 years ago for work, now with kids (i.e., I don't go out any more). One morning in Sunday school a few years ago, our preacher said that he'd picked somebody up at the Memphis airport the night before, and was passing through the square around 11:30 pm. He said, "Have any of you been through there that time of night lately? It's like Bourbon Street." Not too long after that, the kids and I ate on the square on a Saturday night and were leaving around 9:00 or so, and I was struck by how many students were already on the streets, drinking and smoking, obv there to get the night started.

I think what's happened is that the square has turned into something like Bourbon/Beale St. on weekend nights with big crowds on the streets and sidewalks. This has started to attract a lot of non-students from other areas, along with some less-desirable elements (drug dealers who want to be in a college town, small-time thieves there to pickpocket, break in cars, etc.). It looks like these guys were some random dudes from out of town who thought it was ok to act like they were on Bourbon St., and it sadly escalated from there. I think the city has tried to combat it w/ a pretty big police presence, but who knows.

yes. It is true that many many kids/young adults from surrounding counties and Memphis/Desoto county area are going there on the weekends.

Most weekends there are ridiculously crowded for a town that size.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Back in the day there was more discipline in the home. The police enforced the law without fear of reprisals. Social media and general dumbassery that comes with it didn't exist. Actions had consequences more often than not. Parents looked out not only for their kids, but for other kids, and in small places like Oxford or other areas we grew up in around Mississippi, everyone knew everyone. If I was out in the street acting like a fool and someone who knew me saw it, they would beat my *** then take me home for my dad to beat my ***.

You can disagree and I respect your opinion to do so. But there's really no debate to be had about it.

Crime stats say you are wrong. And of course age and media changes may bias how we view the world today as compared to our youth. But no, no debate to had?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Crime stats say you are wrong. And of course age and media changes may bias how we view the world today as compared to our youth. But no, no debate to had?
Which crime stats would you be referring to? That's a pretty generic statement to be made in response to a very specific issue in a small Mississippi town.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
On gameday weekends, the Square and the Cotton District are always full of young people who have no affiliation with the university riding-in to take advantage of the students. This reminds me of when the State student was shot and killed in the District a few years ago. That time it was Columbus kids up to no good.
Maybe roadblocks leaving town after 10PM could help keep some of the ride-in crowd from choosing Oxford and Starkville as their hunting grounds.

Jul 5, 2020

There have always been horrific crimes that deviate from the norm. This is one of those crimes. Why is this the time to monologue about the decline of society? Two families are in despair. The police have found the suspects.

Reactions: olblue

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
There have always been horrific crimes that deviate from the norm. This is one of those crimes. Why is this the time to monologue about the decline of society? Two families are in despair. The police have found the suspects.
Exactly why I don’t care to debate Drebin, although i disagree with him. Very unfortunate event.

Reactions: olblue

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I truly feel the supposed "zero tolerance" in grade schools starting in the 1990s is a factor that people don't know how settle a squabble. These policies don't teach kids how to resolve issues on their own especially when they can't do any real damage. We immediately get authority involved. In my day the gym teacher would ref the fight. If things got out of balance it would get stopped. You were told to shake hands. Maybe serve some detention, usually together. You got to figure it out on your own before you had access to a car or guns.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
I truly feel the supposed "zero tolerance" in grade schools starting in the 1990s is a factor that people don't know how settle a squabble. These policies don't teach kids how to resolve issues on their own especially when they can't do any real damage. We immediately get authority involved. In my day the gym teacher would ref the fight. If things got out of balance it would get stopped. You were told to shake hands. Maybe serve some detention, usually together. You got to figure it out on your own before you had access to a car or guns.
There was no alcohol and raging testosterone involved in your classroom squabbles

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014
I graduated from State in '94, and then went to grad school at OM. When I was at OM in the mid-90s, people went to bars around the square, but there generally weren't crowds on the sidewalks/streets.

You could not have nailed this any better. They’ve got to do something to spread the entertainment out to other parts of town.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Oxford PD has updated with the charges and some clarifications of the incident. Apparently it was a straight hit and run, not premeditated by anything that had occurred earlier in the evening.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login