OM tragedy.....if this has been posted I apologize

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
You could not have nailed this any better. They’ve got to do something to spread the entertainment out to other parts of town.
In the late 60's/early 70"s Starkville was anything but Bourbon/Beale like but whether it was the Crossroads or some other beer joint or a football weekend with frat parties I always noticed wherever college kids congregated a group of undesirable (Columbus had more than their share) non college punks would show up looking for trouble. It's been that way forever I guess. There were lots of fights but we lucked out and avoided anything like what happened in Oxford. I just hope some good will come out of it. I know it's a living nightmare for those kid's families.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Exactly why I don’t care to debate Drebin, although i disagree with him. Very unfortunate event.
Like I always say. Imagine if 24 hour news cycle and Twitter were around for Lizzie Borden, Ed Gein, John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy, and Jeffrey Dahmer.

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
Oxford PD has updated with the charges and some clarifications of the incident. Apparently it was a straight hit and run, not premeditated by anything that had occurred earlier in the evening.

Well I’m glad they are coming out and letting everyone know basically what happened because the rumors have been rampant and inaccurate. I have friends that knew the Madison boy well and have nothing but good things to say about him and his family. I sure hope the female can make a full and complete recovery.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Like I always say. Imagine if 24 hour news cycle and Twitter were around for Lizzie Borden, Ed Gein, John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy, and Jeffrey Dahmer.
On the flip side, authorities may have caught them sooner. Can't do anything these days without being on camera.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Exactly… there is nothing new in this world. There have always been and will always be bad people that do bad things.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Oxford PD has updated with the charges and some clarifications of the incident. Apparently it was a straight hit and run, not premeditated by anything that had occurred earlier in the evening.

Thanks for the update but I'm finding it hard to believe. I hope you are correct but how the hell do you do that to TWO people in a damn parking lot? Ain't making sense but would sure like to know how the investigation develops.

Reactions: Fritz!

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Exactly… there is nothing new in this world. There have always been and will always be bad people that do bad things.
That much is true. And if the poster who updated has true facts, maybe we (myself included) jumped the gun on premeditated murder. I'm just thinking back about things when I was in High School back in the late 70's in Greenwood and the parking lots would be full of pickup trucks with gun racks & rifles in full view. But now we have these mass school shootings and what not. I'm sure y'all remember the one we had in Pearl way back when. It just seem they are so much more prevelant these days than prior. And all these young people all over the country in the big ciites doing the mass smash and grabs in retail stores and Starbucks all over the country having to shut the doors in certain locations. People just walking up to strangers on the street and knocking them the 17 out for no reason but to just do it. But I also know the internet has a lot to do with attitudes of old farts like me with all the drive by media news but I also meet nice youngsters all the time who are respectful and say sir to me which I appreciate. Seems like there's less of them these days but again, I'm an old fart and I realize generations change and we've always turned it over to them while we sit on our old lazy asses yelling at the T.V. Peace Out and Hail STATE!!!!

Reactions: Fritz!

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Thanks for the update but I'm finding it hard to believe. I hope you are correct but how the hell do you do that to TWO people in a damn parking lot? Ain't making sense but would sure like to know how the investigation develops.
It’s not vhdawg saying there was not an altercation prior to this, it was the Oxford PD. I think they would know and I’m not sure what they would gain from putting out false information. It seems very plausible for a drunk person to do what the driver did.

Fritz!

Oct 16, 2014
That much is true. And if the poster who updated has true facts, maybe we (myself included) jumped the gun on premeditated murder. I'm just thinking back about things when I was in High School back in the late 70's in Greenwood and the parking lots would be full of pickup trucks with gun racks & rifles in full view. But now we have these mass school shootings and what not. I'm sure y'all remember the one we had in Pearl way back when. It just seem they are so much more prevelant these days than prior. And all these young people all over the country in the big ciites doing the mass smash and grabs in retail stores and Starbucks all over the country having to shut the doors in certain locations. People just walking up to strangers on the street and knocking them the 17 out for no reason but to just do it. But I also know the internet has a lot to do with attitudes of old farts like me with all the drive by media news but I also meet nice youngsters all the time who are respectful and say sir to me which I appreciate. Seems like there's less of them these days but again, I'm an old fart and I realize generations change and we've always turned it over to them while we sit on our old lazy asses yelling at the T.V. Peace Out and Hail STATE!!!!
High school mid eighties, same sentiment.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
It’s not vhdawg saying there was not an altercation prior to this, it was the Oxford PD. I think they would know and I’m not sure what they would gain from putting out false information. It seems very plausible for a drunk person to do what the driver did.
Yep, I'm just wondering if it was intentional or not. Apparently the OPD is saying not premeditated. I've been drunk many times but I just don't see me pulling off an "accident" like that even if I were blitzed. Dunno.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Here's something else to consider. If these guys, both minors, were in these establishments drinking then those owners have some liability in all of this.

• Wow
Reactions: Cantdoitsal

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I truly feel the supposed "zero tolerance" in grade schools starting in the 1990s is a factor that people don't know how settle a squabble. These policies don't teach kids how to resolve issues on their own especially when they can't do any real damage. We immediately get authority involved. In my day the gym teacher would ref the fight. If things got out of balance it would get stopped. You were told to shake hands. Maybe serve some detention, usually together. You got to figure it out on your own before you had access to a car or guns.

Its a rare day that I see anyone actually argue for not only violence in schools, but for violence that is refereed by a school employee.

Ah the good old days when bullying and hazing flourished because adults excused it away. Man, why cant we go back to that golden era when anyone who was a racial or sexual minority, or who was obese or poor, could just be ripped on to no end?*** Apparently the good old days also involved setting up fights in PE.

SPS always delivers.

• Love
Reactions: Msdeltareb

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Back in the day there was more discipline in the home. The police enforced the law without fear of reprisals. Social media and general dumbassery that comes with it didn't exist. Actions had consequences more often than not. Parents looked out not only for their kids, but for other kids, and in small places like Oxford or other areas we grew up in around Mississippi, everyone knew everyone. If I was out in the street acting like a fool and someone who knew me saw it, they would beat my *** then take me home for my dad to beat my ***.

You can disagree and I respect your opinion to do so. But there's really no debate to be had about it.

Police enforcing the law without fear of reprisals? That still happens. The only difference is now there is more readily available video to show when police mishandle situations. They are now more readily caught on camera lying to citizens about a law, mishandling suspects in an unsafe manner, or outright overreacting to a situation which leads to injury.
“She has a broken arm that she has had surgery on, nine broken ribs, a fractured sternum, broken teeth, injuries to her leg, back and head,” Wilkinson said.

“The bullets brutally tore through his stomach, liver, diaphragm, lungs and arms. Bullets from the two rounds grazed him deeply on other places of his body,” Powers said.

There are countless examples of these types of stories and without cameras, often times on the officers themselves, we wouldnt know what really happened and lies could easily be told to cover the tragic mistakes. This is exactly what used to happen in the golden days you so clearly miss. To be clear, I am not ripping on police here, even though I linked 2 recent egregious incidents. My BIL is a police officer and I hear how difficult it is and see the challenges they face.
The point is, there was danger 'back in the day'. There was senseless killing back then. There were mistakes like hit and run back then. There was drunk driving back then. When you were a kid there was murder and there were drugs- there was danger.

Oxford police said there was no argument, no fight, no in the street acting like a fool in this instance. Do you not realize there were hit and runs back when you were growing up?...because that is what the police say this was. A terrible hit and run, which has been around for more than a century.

Since I am soapboxing and your post was filled with so much cringe, allow me to take this moment to point out that when people long for how it used to be back in the 50s and 60s(or even 70s), they are white and almost always male. Its a funny thing to see, when you remember that context each time you hear someone long for that 'simpler time' or a better time.
Its a helluva rare day when a black person, or a woman, or someone who is gay, or someone with physical or mental disabilities longs for a time when it was proverbial open season for citizens and police to haze, bully, deny basic services, or sexually harass people like them.

^unpopular to point out, but not wrong.

Goulla

Oct 18, 2022
Looking at the "parking lot behind city hall" on Google street view I'm trying to figure out how they were going fast enough that the couple couldn't get out of the way in time. All parties could have been way over the limit. Pretty small parking lot.

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014
Looking at the "parking lot behind city hall" on Google street view I'm trying to figure out how they were going fast enough that the couple couldn't get out of the way in time. All parties could have been way over the limit. Pretty small parking lot.
Feel pretty certain that the actual story that comes out in court will end up much, much different than the one that’s been spread around by the peanut gallery. Not saying the driver isn’t deserving of jail time but I think there was likely negligence by both parties that led to A horrible accident.

Reactions: Goulla

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Feel pretty certain that the actual story that comes out in court will end up much, much different than the one that’s been spread around by the peanut gallery. Not saying the driver isn’t deserving of jail time but I think there was likely negligence by both parties that led to A horrible accident.
I feel pretty certain that parking lot will soon be gated and closed after hours.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I just don't understand how something like this happens with "no prior interactions". I wonder if OPD meant there were no prior interactions inside of a bar before the parking lot? Something HAD to have happened in that parking lot between the deceased gentleman, the girlfriend, and the Memphis kids. It's hard for me to look at that space and figure out how two people could just get run over on accident. It will he hard to ever know because I doubt there were others around.

I could be wrong. Maybe this is just a horrible accident with drunk college kids hopping in a truck and accidentally running over two people and leaving the scene because they were dumb and scared, but I doubt it. For some reason I hope that is the case, but I highly doubt that was the whole story.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
I've been drunk many times but I just don't see me pulling off an "accident" like that even if I were blitzed. Dunno.
There are all kind of drunks. I used to think people that drink were fun loving have a good time drinkers like myself until I worked in a bar for 5 years. Some people when they drink are some of the most vile, violent and stupid people on the planet. That teacher or preacher may get drunk and beat the **** out of his wife, children, a stranger or point a gun at your head. The get black out drunk and not remember what they did the next day drinkers can be some scary unpredictable MOFOs when intoxicated.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login