Omaha or unemployment for Lemonis 2025 expectation

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
We didn’t spend $70+ Million for a stadium and $3Million per year for a coaching staff during that time frame either.
State's baseball budget in the '70s and '80s is the wrong comparison. You have to compare it to our competition. Nearly every SEC school is invested in baseball. Lemonis is the seventh or eighth highest-paid head baseball coach in the SEC.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
State's baseball budget in the '70s and '80s is the wrong comparison. You have to compare it to our competition. Nearly every SEC school is invested in baseball. Lemonis is the eighth highest-paid head baseball coach in the SEC.
Top 8 = Omaha… GoTro probably makes more than 80% of head coaches … we could get similar results for the last 3 seasons for a lot less $$$$

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
We need to be in the conversation to host in the Regionals in 2025. Anything can happen if you host. You cannot have a Omaha or fired expectation because some of our the best MSU teams in history (1989 & 2016) did not make it to Omaha while some pretty mediocre teams (2007 & 2018) got hot at the right time and made Omaha.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Top 8 = Omaha… GoTro probably makes more than 80% of head coaches … we could get similar results for the last 3 seasons for a lot less $$$$
Yes, eight teams go to Omaha. Lemonis is the seventh or eighth highest-paid coach in the conference.

ETA: And I realize that most of the top ten in the country are SEC coaches, but ninth in the country and eighth in your conference is still eighth among your competition.

For example, thirteenth in the country and fourth in your conference (Virginia) is a more competitive position relative to your competition.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How many of yall hope we are bad next year so we can fire the coach?
I don’t want us to be bad, but I want a data point. Either be good or suck. What we did this year was right in the middle - ie we can’t make a judgement. That sucks, and puts us in Polk 2 territory. While other SEC teams build programs that rival ours.

It may not matter, because if Ole Miss isn’t winning, we won’t be motivated either way.

patdog

May 28, 2007
State went to Omaha ten times from 1971 to 2018.

Lemonis would have to make it to Omaha for a third time by 2033 to keep up with that pace.
We underachieved until 2013 and we're underachieving now. 4 CWS appearances in 9 years from 2013 to 2021. We need to at least host next year or make a super at minimum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

bsquared24

Jul 11, 2009
A problem with you fire Lemonis people is you ignore the fact we won’t be able to hire anyone better. Don’t you remember the big names that turned us down before Lemonis was selected; it will only be worse this time cutting lose one of the few guys coaching who has proven he can win a ring. If you want him gone tell me who we would realistically replace him with

catvet

May 11, 2009
A problem with you fire Lemonis people is you ignore the fact we won’t be able to hire anyone better. Don’t you remember the big names that turned us down before Lemonis was selected; it will only be worse this time cutting lose one of the few guys coaching who has proven he can win a ring. If you want him gone tell me who we would realistically replace him with
Schlossnagle wanted this job before we hired Lemonis. Schloss is about to play for the Natty. That's stupid as hell

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
1. I do not believe for one second that we cannot hire a better coach than Lemonhead, especially considering the salary he is being paid. He was about the 4th, 5th, or 6th choice when he was hired (thanks, Cohenz!!); all you have to have is eyes to see how bad we are fundamentally, and especially running the bases, to see that we are not well coached.
2. Winning the natty, he only proved he could do it with someone else's recruits/players. My grandmother could have coached that team to a natty. He got lazy after the natty and got badly outworked and out-recruited by Tenn., UF, LSU, etc.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Exactly.

Just look at South Carolina. They hired Mainieri after their top choices said No.

The first thing an in-demand coach is going to ask before taking a head job in the hyper competitive SEC: How much NIL will I have compared to the rest of the league?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
1. I do not believe for one second that we cannot hire a better coach than Lemonhead, especially considering the salary he is being paid. He was about the 4th, 5th, or 6th choice when he was hired (thanks, Cohenz!!); all you have to have is eyes to see how bad we are fundamentally, and especially running the bases, to see that we are not well coached.
2. Winning the natty, he only proved he could do it with someone else's recruits/players. My grandmother could have coached that team to a natty. He got lazy after the natty and got badly outworked and out-recruited by Tenn., UF, LSU, etc.
  1. If you think hiring a coach as good as Lemonis is easy, you’re just wrong. You’re right about one thing: Lemonis wasn’t our first choice. It’s delusional to think we could fire the coach that won our first title and then hire our first choice to replace him.
  2. This is a debunked myth. Lemonis won the school’s first natty over 1000 days into the job. And the guy you want to give credit for the title hasn’t coached above the high school level in the six years since we dismissed him. If he was viewed in the industry as responsible for three straight trips to Omaha and a national title, someone would have hired him. This view is primarily held by State fans that don’t want to give credit to Lemonis.

Last edited:

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
That's not mythology no matter what BS you read on Jean's page
Saying Schlossnagle “wanted this job before we hired Lemonis” is the message board BS.

Only delusional State fans think that. And it’s based on nothing. The people who repeat that have no idea what they’re talking about. I’m sure you know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who was in the room, but I don’t believe you.

Occam’s razor: If we could have hired the guy with five trips to Omaha including four in a row a year prior to the hire, we would have. He said No, so we moved on. We hired a coach that had never been to Omaha as a head coach because our top choices turned us down.

Three years later, Schloss took the A&M job, which is a better job in the current landscape of college baseball and NIL.

Why should I believe that he wanted our job when it makes perfect sense that he turned us down and held out for the big job in Texas, where he had been for 15 years?

catvet

May 11, 2009
Saying Schlossnagle “wanted this job before we hired Lemonis” is the message board BS.

Only delusional State fans think that. And it’s based on nothing. The people who repeat that have no idea what they’re talking about. I’m sure you know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who was in the room, but I don’t believe you.

Occam’s razor: If we could have hired the guy with five trips to Omaha including four in a row a year prior to the hire, we would have. He said No, so we moved on. We hired a coach that had never been to Omaha as a head coach because our top choices turned us down.

Three years later, Schloss took the A&M job, which is a better job in the current landscape of college baseball and NIL.

Why should I believe that he wanted our job when it makes perfect sense that he turned us down and held out for the big job in Texas, where he had been for 15 years?
You're perfect as a guy who knows nothing and proves it every time he posts. Yes, he wanted it. No need to try to prove anything to a guy who pulls thoughts out of his ***. He was going through a messy divorce and isn't the poster boy for fidelity, which is why he's not here. After the Canny deal, Cohen was too chickenshit to pull the trigger. So keep making up fantasies. Just because people on an open site don't care to share details, doesn't mean things aren't true. Every post you make shows how truly uninformed you are.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
You're perfect as a guy who knows nothing and proves it every time he posts. Yes, he wanted it. No need to try to prove anything to a guy who pulls thoughts out of his ***. He was going through a messy divorce and isn't the poster boy for fidelity, which is why he's not here. After the Canny deal, Cohen was too chickenshit to pull the trigger. So keep making up fantasies. Just because people on an open site don't care to share details, doesn't mean things aren't true. Every post you make shows how truly uninformed you are.
You must be well sourced in college baseball.

I don’t have any sources. I’m just using common sense. We went after the big fish as we should have, and hired the best coach we could after the top targets said No.

You’re making the claim that carries the burden of proof: That we could have hired the big name/obvious hire and opted not to. Is the same true for McDonnell? Tadlock?

catvet

May 11, 2009
You must be well sourced in college baseball.

I don’t have any sources. I’m just using common sense. We went after the big fish as we should have, and hired the best coach we could after the top targets said No.

You’re making the claim that carries the burden of proof: That we could have hired the big name/obvious hire and opted not to. Is the same true for McDonnell? Tadlock?

Has any coach that didn't get a job ever not pulled his name out? Have a good evening.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Those who can't see program trajectory are blind. A couple weeks ago k said TAMU and Tennessee have pulled ahead of us as a program sending teams to Omaha and building that Omaha culture. Lemonis walked into an Omaha built culture he maintained that and won a championship with recruits and players that had been there apart of the program and culture. As his tenure has gone on his culture has done nothing but sink. Coaches like Vitello and Scloss built those programs up to this level and they will stay there unless they leave. Our coach doesn't know how to build what he lost. He certainly didn't learn how to do it at Indiana. McDonnell was a flash in the pan. Louisville isn't anything any more just like lemonis has done to our program. He showed he can win with a built team he just can't figure out how to rebuild.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

You're not totally wrong, but there was some weirdness with Schloss back then, as @catvet said. Truth in the middle.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
I think as much as MSU has invested in baseball, the expectation should be at least one trip to Omaha in every 4 year period.
Does this mean as much as MSU has invested in basketball or football the expectation should be at least one top 8 finish as a condition of employment for Coach Jans and Coach Lebby?

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
Your grandmother must have been a hell of a coach.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
You're not totally wrong, but there was some weirdness with Schloss back then, as @catvet said. Truth in the middle.
I think the misstep by Cohen was publicly saying we’re going for the biggest names in baseball with Omaha experience and then hiring a coach fans had never heard of with experience in Omaha as an assistant.

I think he found out how hard it is to get an established baseball coach to leave a good job.

We had to settle for a good coach that wasn’t a splash. And we won a national title in year three.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
McDonnell was a flash in the pan.
What the 17? Flash in the pan for 17 years?

5 CWS appearances in 17 years for a program that had 0 before him.

13 NCAA appearances in 17 years for a program that had 0 before him.

Holy 17ing hell what a moron you are...

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think the misstep by Cohen was publicly saying we’re going for the biggest names in baseball with Omaha experience and then hiring a coach fans had never heard of with experience in Omaha as an assistant.

I think he found out how hard it is to get an established baseball coach to leave a good job.

We had to settle for a good coach that wasn’t a splash. And we won a national title in year three.
Weird thing to me was that Lemonis was hailed as a recruiter, and his recruiting is what has failed him. His coaching is fine, regardless of what the mouth-breathers here say. But unfortunately for him, recruiting is a big piece of the puzzle in college sports, and I'm not sure he even has a plan for that, outside of getting the best 'metric' players we can. Which doesn't work if you don't get the best of the best.

I wish he'd go back and look at what was so successful from 2019-2021......which was having a lot of gritty, athletic guys with a tough culture. I'm not sure he knows how to create that, though. He seems afraid of the players.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
It may not matter, because if Ole Miss isn’t winning, we won’t be motivated either way.
baseball seems to be the sport where this applies the least. Yes, it pisses us off when ole miss wins, but we expect excellence from our baseball team year in and year out regardless. even at times when we know it ain’t happening

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
baseball seems to be the sport where this applies the least. Yes, it pisses us off when ole miss wins, but we expect excellence from our baseball team year in and year out regardless. even at times when we know it ain’t happening
Understand your point, but I'm not real sure. We didn't really get a sense of urgency very often in the late 80s and 90s. Then we hired Polk back again in 2022. We didn't really get serious until Bianco got there, and we finally pushed Polk out and brought in Cohen against Polk's wishes, thankfully.

And do you think the rage against Lemonis would be as loud if Ole Miss hadn't followed us up in 2022? Doubtful.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login