Omaha or unemployment for Lemonis 2025 expectation

patdog

May 28, 2007
And do you think the rage against Lemonis would be as loud if Ole Miss hadn't followed us up in 2022? Doubtful.
Yes, it would be. Mississippi's championship is as much old news as ours is. We finished above them last year and way above them this year. But that's irrelevant, because that's not the measuring stick. We need to be making super regionals and CWS on a fairly regular basis (at least 40% and 20% of the time), and we're in a 3-year (and counting) drought. What Mississippi does doesn't matter.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yes, it would be. Mississippi's championship is as much old news as ours is. We finished above them last year and way above them this year. But that's irrelevant, because that's not the measuring stick. We need to be making super regionals and CWS on a fairly regular basis (at least 40% and 20% of the time), and we're in a 3-year (and counting) drought. What Mississippi does doesn't matter.
Sorry pat, but I don't take much you say on baseball very seriously. I mean you just said our baseball program didn't overachieve until 2013...a clear slight at Cohen.....and we all know you bashed us right up until that postseason run that year. 2011 and 2012 both overachieved, and 2009 and 2010 were correcting Polk's mess of recruiting.

I still say the rage year was 2022. That was the year that sucked the worst, and honestly, that one wasn't even as much Lemonis' fault. Just bad luck with pitching injuries, and then their run (OM). Then, after we lost everybody that year, it was pretty easy to see that 2023 was going to be a rebuilding year. And combine that with Ole Miss also sucking, we are complacent again. Now we've made a regional, they continue to suck, and we're in a rut. Not to mention we don't have an AD who cares about baseball.

If Ole Miss had made another deep run in 2023, I bet we would have fired Lemonis. Selmon would have just done whatever our leadership told him to do, and the rage would have been flaming at that point.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Weird thing to me was that Lemonis was hailed as a recruiter, and his recruiting is what has failed him. His coaching is fine, regardless of what the mouth-breathers here say. But unfortunately for him, recruiting is a big piece of the puzzle in college sports, and I'm not sure he even has a plan for that, outside of getting the best 'metric' players we can. Which doesn't work if you don't get the best of the best.

I wish he'd go back and look at what was so successful from 2019-2021......which was having a lot of gritty, athletic guys with a tough culture. I'm not sure he knows how to create that, though. He seems afraid of the players.
He can’t recreate 19-21 bc he can’t evaluate at that level. He doesn’t have the ability to grab a Jordan Westberg who is not a top 250 kid but is a guy you want. Same with Fos. Or Mangum.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
2022 Lemonis did one of the worst coaching jobs seen. And it was known in coaching circles. Lemonis basically never even managed that team. He assumed all those guys would be studs and forgot that rowdy and ta lead that group the previous year…… and let’s not even talk about the recruiting trail.

what Lemonis did during that 2022 season is why we are in the place we are in. He didn’t push and demand that roster to succeed and he got lazy on the recruiting trail…. And we are now experiencing the effects of that. 2022 to now is 100 percent squarely on the lemonis… even with injuries no excuses why it fell far that fast

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Weird thing to me was that Lemonis was hailed as a recruiter, and his recruiting is what has failed him. His coaching is fine, regardless of what the mouth-breathers here say. But unfortunately for him, recruiting is a big piece of the puzzle in college sports, and I'm not sure he even has a plan for that, outside of getting the best 'metric' players we can. Which doesn't work if you don't get the best of the best.

I wish he'd go back and look at what was so successful from 2019-2021......which was having a lot of gritty, athletic guys with a tough culture. I'm not sure he knows how to create that, though. He seems afraid of the players.
Lemonis is a below average game manager. He had Landon sims for one season who was one of the most dominate closers in college baseball recent history… that covered up his lack of game management skills… no sims, you are seeing what he really is in game… and it’s not average

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He can’t recreate 19-21 bc he can’t evaluate at that level. He doesn’t have the ability to grab a Jordan Westberg who is not a top 250 kid but is a guy you want. Same with Fos. Or Mangum.
Agreed hasn’t shown he can get the big fish. In high school or college.

bsquared24

Jul 11, 2009
I'm not saying Lemonis is perfect, and honestly I don't think he is a good game manager, but who can we get that is better than him? Names please.

I'll try an analogy, We are married to a 7 (Lemonis), not as attractive as she once was, we know the flaws and still a 7. Would you divorce a 7 when all your replacement options are 5's and 6's? All the 9s and 10s have richer husbands and aren't looking to leave. Could there be an 8 lurking out there, possible but doubtful, reasonable people realize these possible 8's are probably just a 6 hiding their flaws.

We just finished 5th in the league that had 4 of the last 8 teams in the CWS, please don't act like '24 was a bad team.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I'm not saying Lemonis is perfect, and honestly I don't think he is a good game manager, but who can we get that is better than him? Names please.

I'll try an analogy, We are married to a 7 (Lemonis), not as attractive as she once was, we know the flaws and still a 7. Would you divorce a 7 when all your replacement options are 5's and 6's? All the 9s and 10s have richer husbands and aren't looking to leave. Could there be an 8 lurking out there, possible but doubtful, reasonable people realize these possible 8's are probably just a 6 hiding their flaws.

We just finished 5th in the league that had 4 of the last 8 teams in the CWS, please don't act like '24 was a bad team.
Well we didn’t play 2 of them. And the other 2 both took the series from us. And Florida was playing terribly when we played them. We feasted on a sec that just wasn’t as deep as it normally is. We were an above average team.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Yeah the whole we just finished 5th isn’t a good narrative. we played an extremely easy schedule both in and out of conference and we struggled against the better teams…

im not sure who can be gotten, it’s impossible to know whose really available. That said I don’t think Lemonis is a 7. He might have been a 7 a few years ago with make up on and fixed up, but now he’s let himself go and is more like a 5.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Well we didn’t play 2 of them. And the other 2 both took the series from us. And Florida was playing terribly when we played them. We feasted on a sec that just wasn’t as deep as it normally is. We were an above average team.
Bottom line is we made a regional & finished 2nd. 13 of 16 teams in the new SEC made a regional this year, and 7 either hosted or won a regional. Our bar should be higher.

Reactions: 60sdog and 8dog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Bottom line is we made a regional & finished 2nd. 13 of 16 teams in the new SEC made a regional this year, and 7 either hosted or won a regional. Our bar should be higher.
Bingo. Success is gauged on a few things;
1. Regular season championships
2. Tourney championships
3. Hosting regionals
4. Winning regionals
5. Going to omaha
6. Winning in omaha

this team accomplished none of this while nearly half the conference did at least 1 of these. Finishing 5th is a bogus narrative.

Reactions: 60sdog and patdog

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
You must be well sourced in college baseball.

I don’t have any sources. I’m just using common sense. We went after the big fish as we should have, and hired the best coach we could after the top targets said No.

You’re making the claim that carries the burden of proof: That we could have hired the big name/obvious hire and opted not to. Is the same true for McDonnell? Tadlock?

You'd be wrong. Cohen knew about the rumors with him and chose to go another direction. It was a mistake but we still won a natty, so how big a mistake is debatable.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Saying Schlossnagle “wanted this job before we hired Lemonis” is the message board BS.

Only delusional State fans think that. And it’s based on nothing. The people who repeat that have no idea what they’re talking about. I’m sure you know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who was in the room, but I don’t believe you.

Occam’s razor: If we could have hired the guy with five trips to Omaha including four in a row a year prior to the hire, we would have. He said No, so we moved on. We hired a coach that had never been to Omaha as a head coach because our top choices turned us down.

Three years later, Schloss took the A&M job, which is a better job in the current landscape of college baseball and NIL.

Why should I believe that he wanted our job when it makes perfect sense that he turned us down and held out for the big job in Texas, where he had been for 15 years?
Schloss was dying for our job. He was even telling people in Omaha how bad he wanted it even after we had moved on. You don’t have to believe it, but it’s true.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
You'd be wrong. Cohen knew about the rumors with him and chose to go another direction. It was a mistake but we still won a natty, so how big a mistake is debatable.
It wasn't just Schloss. We were after Schloss, McDonnell, and Tadlock.

Schloss:
  • 7 Super Regionals
  • 5 CWS appearances
McDonnell:
  • 7 Super Regionals
  • 4 CWS appearances
Tadlock:
  • 3 CWS appearances
Lemonis:
  • 0 Super Regionals
Did we pass on all three to hire Lemonis? Or did they pass on us?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Schloss was dying for our job. He was even telling people in Omaha how bad he wanted it even after we had moved on. You don’t have to believe it, but it’s true.
That sounds plausible. A spurned coach going to Omaha and letting people know how badly he wanted a job he didn't get.

The details around this myth make it so obvious it's untrue. It's based on hearsay. You can believe it if you want.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
That sounds plausible. A spurned coach going to Omaha and letting people know how badly he wanted a job he didn't get.

The details around this myth make it so obvious it's untrue. It's based on hearsay. You can believe it if you want.
Well the part about Omaha is my buddy talking to him. So I guess technically hearsay. Schloss was dying to get out of TCU so that played a role also.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Well the part about Omaha is my buddy talking to him. So I guess technically hearsay. Schloss was dying to get out of TCU so that played a role also.
My A&M buddies talked to O'Sullivan in Omaha and confirmed that he killed a guy.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
1. I do not believe for one second that we cannot hire a better coach than Lemonhead, especially considering the salary he is being paid. He was about the 4th, 5th, or 6th choice when he was hired (thanks, Cohenz!!); all you have to have is eyes to see how bad we are fundamentally, and especially running the bases, to see that we are not well coached.
2. Winning the natty, he only proved he could do it with someone else's recruits/players. My grandmother could have coached that team to a natty. He got lazy after the natty and got badly outworked and out-recruited by Tenn., UF, LSU, etc.

1. I do not believe for one second that we cannot hire a better coach than Lemonhead, especially considering the salary he is being paid. He was about the 4th, 5th, or 6th choice when he was hired (thanks, Cohenz!!); all you have to have is eyes to see how bad we are fundamentally, and especially running the bases, to see that we are not well coached.
2. Winning the natty, he only proved he could do it with someone else's recruits/players. My grandmother could have coached that team to a natty. He got lazy after the natty and got badly outworked and out-recruited by Tenn., UF, LSU, etc.
East Mississippi got any coaches?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login