One of these ACC schools will get a bye in Playoff

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Miami is legit for the ACC. They've got 2 guys that can get after the qb. Have a favorable schedule & don't play Clemson.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Miami looked dang good on Saturday relative to the rest of that league. And their schedule is not bad at all. They’d have to lay a huge egg to not go 10-2 or better.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Football is more fun nationally when USC and the U are good at football. Maybe that's just nostalgia talking. Not a harbaugh fan but I was glad to see Michigan win and not bama, uga, lsu, or Clemson win the the natty last year. I'm hoping this year it's another team other than bama, lsu, or Georgia. Won't be Clemson or fsu that's for sure.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Regarding Florida State....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Operation Chaos: I'd like to see an ACC team run the table and then lose the ACC championship game.

Top candidates: Miami and Louisville
Another reason why I wish we'd get rid of conference championship games. Play a 9th conference game and be done with it, award conference title based on record. More teams can win it.

While we're at it, expand the playoff to 16. If we're going to make all these changes, go ahead and go all the way.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Another reason why I wish we'd get rid of conference championship games. Play a 9th conference game and be done with it, award conference title based on record. More teams can win it.

While we're at it, expand the playoff to 16. If we're going to make all these changes, go ahead and go all the way.
The expansion is coming in 2 years i believe.

Conferences can determine their conference champion however the choose. But the title games are big $$ generators that arent likely to go away.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The expansion is coming in 2 years i believe.

Conferences can determine their conference champion however the choose. But the title games are big $$ generators that arent likely to go away.
Title games need to go, but you're right. The conferences make too much money to ever give them up.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Title games need to go, but you're right. The conferences make too much money to ever give them up.
i mean title games dont have to happen. its up to the conference to determine their champion. If they deem they want to give the championship based on conference record they could.

its been rumored that the sec is petition for not only a championship game BUT a 3rd and 4th place game. So they'd have exactly in order a 1,2,3,4 that was played off on the field.... the 3 and 4th place game could basically be a game that guarentees you a playoff spot.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Clemson did play what is probably the best team in the country. Don't count them out with the ACC looking so weak. What should scare them is VT was expected to compete for that championship. I think Vandy is probably better than normal for Vandy.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
If Clemson had played Florida and Miami had played Georgia, how many of these predictions would be reversed?
Clemson does NOT play Miami in the regular season and their 4 road games are: @FSU, @Wake, @VT & @Pitt

They could easily end up 11-1.

patdog

May 28, 2007
its been rumored that the sec is petition for not only a championship game BUT a 3rd and 4th place game. So they'd have exactly in order a 1,2,3,4 that was played off on the field.... the 3 and 4th place game could basically be a game that guarentees you a playoff spot.
That seems like a bad idea. You'd be competing with your own championship game (as well as all the other championship games), so I doubt you'd draw much TV ratings. And seems like all that game would do is eliminate the loser from the playoffs, when you're almost certainly getting 1 or both of those teams in without a 3rd place game.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
That seems like a bad idea. You'd be competing with your own championship game (as well as all the other championship games), so I doubt you'd draw much TV ratings. And seems like all that game would do is eliminate the loser from the playoffs, when you're almost certainly getting 1 or both of those teams in without a 3rd place game.
There are only about 8 games on TV that day. If you played the game at 12:00 because the championship game would be at 4:30. It'll get ratings and plenty of them. You rather watch Ohio State pummel Iowa or Alabama play Ole Miss before the Texas/Georgia game.... I know what I'm tuning into.

Think the hope would be to have a clear cut #3. As been discussed in other threads. What happens if X team finishes 10-2 and another finishes 10-2 or 9-3 with a tougher schedule. Because I too think with so many teams not playing each other, you're going to have some 10-2 teams that havent played each other that the committee will have to choose between....

This would solve that... but i dont see it happening in the near future.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You'd potentially compete with other championship games, but not your own. Do the 3rd/4th place game in New Orleans at midafternoon. Championship game stays in Atlanta and is night game. That would definitely be a good money maker for the league. You'd potentially cost yourself a playoff spot occasionally, but that would be offset by all the years you don't change the playoff picture, or maybe even get an extra team in, and then also get the extra TV money for the game. You're still talking about a top 15 matchup most years, so I think there'd be interest in watching it on TV. Putting it in New Orleans would make it more likely fans would show up for an otherwise relatively meaningless game. I think this would further hurt the bowl games, but I think that's coming regardless.

Not saying it's a good idea overall, but purely looking at it as a money grab (which is what, what 98% of college football decisions are about now), I think it would work pretty well?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not saying it's a good idea overall, but purely looking at it as a money grab (which is what, what 98% of college football decisions are about now), I think it would work pretty well?
That's why I'm sure the SEC will do this if they can.

Reactions: johnson86-1

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think it makes a lot of sense for the SEC to do this, actually. They could put the 3 v 4 game on the night before or make it an 11 am kickoff on Saturday. The big thing it does is give one of those 11-1 or 10-2 teams a possibility at another good win. Suddenly, the committee is looking at a 12-1 or 11-2 team to slot in.

This season, the Friday night conference championships games are:
American 7 PM (ABC)
Conference USA 7 PM (CBSSN)
Mountain West 7 PM (Fox)

An SEC "bronze medal" game is going to outdraw every single one of those.

Reactions: HuntDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You'd potentially compete with other championship games, but not your own. Do the 3rd/4th place game in New Orleans at midafternoon. Championship game stays in Atlanta and is night game. That would definitely be a good money maker for the league. You'd potentially cost yourself a playoff spot occasionally, but that would be offset by all the years you don't change the playoff picture, or maybe even get an extra team in, and then also get the extra TV money for the game. You're still talking about a top 15 matchup most years, so I think there'd be interest in watching it on TV. Putting it in New Orleans would make it more likely fans would show up for an otherwise relatively meaningless game. I think this would further hurt the bowl games, but I think that's coming regardless.

Money grabbing is why we’ve totally changed the sport we all use to love, into mere TV entertainment.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
TV ratings would be yuge. For years CFB has in essence ceded most of Dec to the NFL. I'm glad they are finally putting on good content in Dec.

Drunk Halloween GIF by BuzzFeed

Reactions: HuntDawg

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
Football is more fun nationally when USC and the U are good at football. Maybe that's just nostalgia talking. Not a harbaugh fan but I was glad to see Michigan win and not bama, uga, lsu, or Clemson win the the natty last year. I'm hoping this year it's another team other than bama, lsu, or Georgia. Won't be Clemson or fsu that's for sure.
Careful what you wish for...might REALLY hate the result if the plays out.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Careful what you wish for...might REALLY hate the result if the plays out.
True if that lines up ole miss likely Texas in playoff.

wouldn't mind seeing a Texas USC rematch. Even though SC lost still the best natty I can remember

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
And seems like all that game would do is eliminate the loser from the playoffs, when you're almost certainly getting 1 or both of those teams in without a 3rd place game.
I’m with you. If the goal is maximizing the number of conference teams in the playoff, I don’t see how this helps.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login