One thing I like about Beamer

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Amidst all the grousing about Beamer, I thought I’d point out something I like: He has shown himself to be more aggressive in end-of-half situations to try getting a score. Muschamp was frustratingly resistant to even trying. Too many times he went into halftime with timeouts in his pocket when he could have tried getting the ball back. Or he’d just run the clock out of we had the ball. In general, he was just content to get to the locker room.

Yeah, jt hasn’t always worked and there’s a lot of other stuff to critique about Beamer, but I like the mindset. Can’t stand not even trying.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Now that you mention it, that may have been one of the most frustrating things about Muschamp. So much so Beamer can be nothing but an upgrade on that part of the game.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Beamer has less wins in his first 3 years. I guess I don't know the meaning of the word upgrade. Unless we really aren't serious about winning.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I
Now that you mention it, that may have been one of the most frustrating things about Muschamp. So much so Beamer can be nothing but an upgrade on that part of the game.

I can recall several instances where I was watching the game as the first half was was winding down and thinking "Well, if we take some timeouts and force a punt, we have a chance to get a score before half" then watching in disappointment as it became clear that he was content to just get to the half.

Might've been Beamer's first game, or one of the first, where we in that situation and he deliberately took timeouts to get the ball back and try something before the half. Can't recall if it worked or not, but not even trying was so frustrating.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Potential.
Everyone hates that word, but with Beamer you feel like he has the opportunity to turn ot around. With Muschamp you knew you didn't have that.
Different opinions make the world go round. I feel like he's going to bury this program so deep in the ground that we might as well erect a tombstone.

Reactions: Atlanta Cock

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Amidst all the grousing about Beamer, I thought I’d point out something I like: He has shown himself to be more aggressive in end-of-half situations to try getting a score. Muschamp was frustratingly resistant to even trying. Too many times he went into halftime with timeouts in his pocket when he could have tried getting the ball back. Or he’d just run the clock out of we had the ball. In general, he was just content to get to the locker room.

Yeah, jt hasn’t always worked and there’s a lot of other stuff to critique about Beamer, but I like the mindset. Can’t stand not even trying.
Agree with you 100% here. That's something I've noticed Beamer does as well. He's always coaching to win instead of coaching not to lose, which is the opposite of what it felt like with Muschamp. It doesn't always work, but Beamer is always going for it and is aggressive in game management situations. He goes for it on 4th down regularly, sometimes more often than I'd want him to. He uses timeouts to get the ball back.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Agree with you 100% here. That's something I've noticed Beamer does as well. He's always coaching to win instead of coaching not to lose, which is the opposite of what it felt like with Muschamp. It doesn't always work, but Beamer is always going for it and is aggressive in game management situations. He goes for it on 4th down regularly, sometimes more often than I'd want him to. He uses timeouts to get the ball back.

I wish I could remember which game it was under Muschamp, but it was a close game and the other team had the ball with a bit over a minute or so remaining in the half. It was a situation where we could have gotten a couple stops, took a couple timeouts and got the ball back with a minute or so left in the half. As it is, I seem to recall us forcing them to punt and we got the ball back with like 10 seconds left. Just threw a possession away. I also remember times when we would get the ball back with enough time to try putting together a drive and we wouldn't even try.

You're right about Beamer coaching to win. Yeah, we can bicker about the results and where stand entering Year 4, but it at least shows he's engaged with the game I don't know what Muschamp was doing half the time.

Reactions: Lurker123

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Feb 6, 2022
Beamer has less wins in his first 3 years. I guess I don't know the meaning of the word upgrade. Unless we really aren't serious about winning.
Did you see Mizzou finishing 2nd in the East last year, or does your analysis go bo further than last season? I knew Mizzou was gonna play for 2nd and I knew we weren't in contention for that. Maybe you should ask me something about next season.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
I wish I could remember which game it was under Muschamp, but it was a close game and the other team had the ball with a bit over a minute or so remaining in the half. It was a situation where we could have gotten a couple stops, took a couple timeouts and got the ball back with a minute or so left in the half. As it is, I seem to recall us forcing them to punt and we got the ball back with like 10 seconds left. Just threw a possession away. I also remember times when we would get the ball back with enough time to try putting together a drive and we wouldn't even try.

You're right about Beamer coaching to win. Yeah, we can bicker about the results and where stand entering Year 4, but it at least shows he's engaged with the game I don't know what Muschamp was doing half the time.
Or the multiple Muschamp punts on 4th and short against UNC in 2019.

Reactions: JoeMorrisonLives

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Different opinions make the world go round. I feel like he's going to bury this program so deep in the ground that we might as well erect a tombstone.
Beamer may not succeed here and get fired, but South Carolina football has weathered some really bad football coaches in its past. If we survived Will Muschamp, Brad Scott, Sparky Woods, and Richard Bell I think we'll be ok if Beamer doesn't work out.

The key is making the right hire and getting the right staff in place. It's not outside the realm of possibility that the right hire was already made.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
One third of all the 5*s we've ever signed will be in their 1st or 2nd year thus season. He exceeded expectations his first two years. On what do you base your analysis?
He exceeded expectations with Muschamp's players. Is that what you base your analysis? I was against his hire. I thought it probably had an over 90% chance of failure. Most ADs in the SEC probably wouldn't have played those odds. So we'll see. Beamer should have started at a place like Middle Tennessee State or similar. I feel like everything in his life has been handed to him because of his name. Clemson hired a Bowden. But it wasn't Bobby. Shane is not Frank. It's all just my opinion so I can't say you're wrong with yours. I'm a Gamecock fan. Coaches come and go. I do wish your username was true. 🙂

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Feb 6, 2022
He exceeded expectations with Muschamp's players. Is that what you base your analysis? I was against his hire. I thought it probably had an over 90% chance of failure. Most ADs in the SEC probably wouldn't have played those odds. So we'll see. Beamer should have started at a place like Middle Tennessee State or similar. I feel like everything in his life has been handed to him because of his name. Clemson hired a Bowden. But it wasn't Bobby. Shane is not Frank. It's all just my opinion so I can't say you're wrong with yours. I'm a Gamecock fan. Coaches come and go. I do wish your username was true. 🙂
Muschamp couldnt win with those players. Muschamp's '19, '20 and '21 OL classes being loaded with busts is why we had a 1-deep OL last year, combined with injuries and that's his one bad season completely accounted for. We bled DB talent Muschamp and his DC encouraged to leave, and Beamer replaced them. Beamer brought in Sellers and Rattler. 3 of Beamer's DBs were freshman AA, all of which were 3*s when Beamer found and offered them, and ended up 4 stars. Juice was a Beamer guy. XL got no development from Muschamp. We also had no quality EDGE players last year because Beamer's guys were young and Muschamp's guys left because they had no loyalty, directly connected to how Muschamp ran things. Going only off of how our porjected starting 5 on the OL have graded in the past (PFF score for Baugh, Henry, Lee and Moore, and flashed from Tree), we'll easily have a top half OL in the SEC. Also easily better than any OL Muschamp had here. Also deeper than any OL we fielded since Muschamp was still using Spurrier's players. Mentioning Spurrier, Beamer was the OC for the 3 beat classes not only for Spurrier's tenure, but the history of the program, between '09, '10 and '11. Many would say "but those were just great players," but just look at the 2*s from that 2010 class alone; Jerideau, Golightly, Robinson, and Thompson made fantastic contributions, started and some got some NFL checks.

What's funny about your analogy is that Tommy Bowden was considered a no brainer for what he did at Tulane, going undefeated. You think Beamer got the job for his name alone, when he was RC here, one of the best Special Teams coordinators in CFB, proving it at a few stops, AHC at OU, and I've seen local publications calling him a future HC and start during his time here, at UGA and at OU. If anything, I could say he had a way better resume than Dabo did when he was hired. He started at Tennessee, he went to MSU, came here, finally after all of that left us to play with his dad after thinking he had enough resume to not get the BS label you just have him, but get to work with his father anyway. He won the bowl game as interim coach. And he got hired by very serious people and helped bring two different programs to the CFP as STC and AHC respectively. He's coached every position other than QB, OL and DL, and all of his units performed well. He's also developed before being hired here a reputation as one of the best recruiters in the business. If you wanted an established name, we weren't getting them. The best hires we've made recently with the major sports have been the less obvious choices.

You don't need to be an offensive or defensive mind as HC, sometimes you just have to be a great football mind. Our 2022 late season offensive explosion was a direct consequence of Beamer streamlining the offense and forcing Satterfield to cut down on prep and keep the same guys out for continuity. Our late 2023 defensive run was also attributed to Beamer putting in the 3-3-5. Two of three seasons we had the top ST unit, and he was STC for Spurrier's best ST units and coached in a playoff for UGA as ST coach.

For these reasons I wanted him as HC when I heard he was being considered and I hoped against hope it wouldn't have been Billy Napier. Now let me ask, who did you want?

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Muschamp couldnt win with those players. Muschamp's '19, '20 and '21 OL classes being loaded with busts is why we had a 1-deep OL last year, combined with injuries and that's his one bad season completely accounted for. We bled DB talent Muschamp and his DC encouraged to leave, and Beamer replaced them. Beamer brought in Sellers and Rattler. 3 of Beamer's DBs were freshman AA, all of which were 3*s when Beamer found and offered them, and ended up 4 stars. Juice was a Beamer guy. XL got no development from Muschamp. We also had no quality EDGE players last year because Beamer's guys were young and Muschamp's guys left because they had no loyalty, directly connected to how Muschamp ran things. Going only off of how our porjected starting 5 on the OL have graded in the past (PFF score for Baugh, Henry, Lee and Moore, and flashed from Tree), we'll easily have a top half OL in the SEC. Also easily better than any OL Muschamp had here. Also deeper than any OL we fielded since Muschamp was still using Spurrier's players. Mentioning Spurrier, Beamer was the OC for the 3 beat classes not only for Spurrier's tenure, but the history of the program, between '09, '10 and '11. Many would say "but those were just great players," but just look at the 2*s from that 2010 class alone; Jerideau, Golightly, Robinson, and Thompson made fantastic contributions, started and some got some NFL checks.

What's funny about your analogy is that Tommy Bowden was considered a no brainer for what he did at Tulane, going undefeated. You think Beamer got the job for his name alone, when he was RC here, one of the best Special Teams coordinators in CFB, proving it at a few stops, AHC at OU, and I've seen local publications calling him a future HC and start during his time here, at UGA and at OU. If anything, I could say he had a way better resume than Dabo did when he was hired. He started at Tennessee, he went to MSU, came here, finally after all of that left us to play with his dad after thinking he had enough resume to not get the BS label you just have him, but get to work with his father anyway. He won the bowl game as interim coach. And he got hired by very serious people and helped bring two different programs to the CFP as STC and AHC respectively. He's coached every position other than QB, OL and DL, and all of his units performed well. He's also developed before being hired here a reputation as one of the best recruiters in the business. If you wanted an established name, we weren't getting them. The best hires we've made recently with the major sports have been the less obvious choices.

You don't need to be an offensive or defensive mind as HC, sometimes you just have to be a great football mind. Our 2022 late season offensive explosion was a direct consequence of Beamer streamlining the offense and forcing Satterfield to cut down on prep and keep the same guys out for continuity. Our late 2023 defensive run was also attributed to Beamer putting in the 3-3-5. Two of three seasons we had the top ST unit, and he was STC for Spurrier's best ST units and coached in a playoff for UGA as ST coach.

For these reasons I wanted him as HC when I heard he was being considered and I hoped against hope it wouldn't have been Billy Napier. Now let me ask, who did you want?
I was one of those that was willing to give Chadwell a chance. He also wanted to be here. And he was there for us on a silver platter. So we have different opinions and that's fine with me. Like I said, we'll see. I'm excited about Sellers. I hope he becomes our Cam Newton, who pretty much carried his team to a national championship. I'm also very worried about coordinated terror attacks on opening day against the larger stadiums around the country.

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Feb 6, 2022
I was one of those that was willing to give Chadwell a chance. He also wanted to be here. And he was there for us on a silver platter. So we have different opinions and that's fine with me. Like I said, we'll see. I'm excited about Sellers. I hope he becomes our Cam Newton, who pretty much carried his team to a national championship. I'm also very worried about coordinated terror attacks on opening day against the larger stadiums around the country.
Chadwell's system in the SEC would hit a brick wall in the form of the average SEC DL. Triple options hit slower than single read options, and that difference will sink the scheme when a 330lb DT breaks through to blow it up with that extra split second. Oregon did that under Kelly, and it hit a ceiling without facing the DLs we would every week. Stanford dominated them at the time because of the quality of Stanford's DL in that stretch. It's different than an RPO, because after that read, the QB is either sprinting to the edge, or throwing the ball, jogging to force an LB to commit to the pitch man will consistently see a DT come free to blow it up from the inside if it was the base in the SEC. There have been about a dozen openings between the SEC and ACC since 2020 and none hired him.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Chadwell's system in the SEC would hit a brick wall in the form of the average SEC DL. Triple options hit slower than single read options, and that difference will sink the scheme when a 330lb DT breaks through to blow it up with that extra split second. Oregon did that under Kelly, and it hit a ceiling without facing the DLs we would every week. Stanford dominated them at the time because of the quality of Stanford's DL in that stretch. It's different than an RPO, because after that read, the QB is either sprinting to the edge, or throwing the ball, jogging to force an LB to commit to the pitch man will consistently see a DT come free to blow it up from the inside if it was the base in the SEC. There have been about a dozen openings between the SEC and ACC since 2020 and none hired him.
Coaches can change systems. Bear Bryant changed his system multiple times during his career. So did your username. So did Lou. Is that really meaningful to you? Chadwell will get his shot eventually. It won't be here. That ship has sailed.

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Feb 6, 2022
Coaches can change systems. Bear Bryant changed his system multiple times during his career. So did your username. So did Lou. Is that really meaningful to you? Chadwell will get his shot eventually. It won't be here. That ship has sailed.
There's a longer list of coaches that couldn't win once their scheme failed.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

I think you're giving up on his system a bit quickly. Sure, he may adapt, but I bet his system would be better than what we've seen lately from our team.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Oregon did that under Kelly, and it hit a ceiling without facing the DLs we would every week. Stanford dominated them at the time because of the quality of Stanford's DL in that stretch.

This struck me because that's not my recollection of the matchups. So I looked it up. Kelly was 2-2 against Stanford, 4-2 if you count the two years he was OC. And all but one game was high scoring.

I don't think Stanford dominated them, and in 6 years, their defense really held them once.

But that's a minor tangent. One that just struck me wrong.

Last edited:

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
I think you're giving up on his system a bit quickly. Sure, he may adapt, but I bet his system would be better than what we've seen lately from our team.
The system we've had lately is whoever Beamer can get to agree to coach under him.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
The system we've had lately is whoever Beamer can get to agree to coach under him.

True.

I remember hiring a top notch staff was going to be our strong point (according to some). It seems we have issues convincing some people to coach here.

I really do find it hard to believe the "worst play caller in the NFL" who had dropped to a college position coach was our top choice for OC.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
True.

I remember hiring a top notch staff was going to be our strong point (according to some). It seems we have issues convincing some people to coach here.

I really do find it hard to believe the "worst play caller in the NFL" who had dropped to a college position coach was our top choice for OC.
Even worse, what if it was? And yes, I'm now 3 sheets to the wind. 🙂

• Haha

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
Potential.
Everyone hates that word, but with Beamer you feel like he has the opportunity to turn ot around. With Muschamp you knew you didn't have that.
Agreeed. I felt like 2017 was his peak and Beamer team feel like they haven’t reached their peak yet

Reactions: joefanatic

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Feb 6, 2022
Do you have a list of entry-level head coaches who were a success in the SEC?
Entry level, just so we're clear, is GA. He deserved to be a head coach somewhere because he had a resume that included ST coordinator, and learning directly under more future half of game coach than just about anyone. But Smart is a first time head coach, Barry Switzer's first Head Coach job was at OU. Now you tell me what crossover DC or OC has with HC that ST coach doesn't. That's an old way of thinking that you need to master your own offense or dedense and just hire the right guy for the other side of the ball.
HC is a CEO, and hiring an OC is like getting a creative for the role bexause hes good at advertisement. The jib is general management, he knows how to coach every position so he knows what he wants. Second, you have to be a great recruiter, he is that. Third, to win here, you need a good plan and to be able o five taken, hes found great talent, just look at how many guys we offer as 3 stars that either turn into blue-chips later or make impacts in college. As far as having a vision and plan, he goes on the base defense year one almost every team in the SEC has moved to since then, just didn't always have the best guys to execute it, and his emphasis on the DMV has already gotten us some of our most talebted young players. And he needs charisma, check. Dabo Swinney was a career WR coach. But, the real key point is that some guys just got it. Do you think Ray Tanner gained something between his time from when NCSU hired him until we did that he just turned into a great in that time and wasn't before then? Coach Paris got us to the dance year 2, and he didnt have the most stellar resume, he was just good. You got a future star and you think OC or DC is so important you ignore he gave us the biggest margin of victory an unranked team had against a top 10, and then upset Clemson in their house the next week. He assembled the best OL talent we've ever assembled in back to back classes. But you want to throw in the towel before year 4? Dude, cool. We will go bowling this year. From there, if we fail it'll have more to do with retention in the face of NIL than who's steering the ship.

Last edited:
Reactions: 01Fatboy

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I like that Beamer typically does better in end-of-half situations than Muschamp did.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Stubbornly pushing back against b*tchy fans who can't stay on topic in a thread.
By talking to yourself? I look at this board like a group of people talking in a barbershop. Topics can naturally evolve during a group setting. Someone talking to themselves in a barbershop would certainly garner some attention. 🙂

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
By talking to yourself? I look at this board like a group of people talking in a barbershop. Topics can naturally evolve during a group setting. Someone talking to themselves in a barbershop would certainly garner some attention. 🙂

But, like I said, I appreciate Beamer's end-of-half mentality compared that of Muschamp.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque