One thing that hasn’t escaped my notice

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Is how Wright is being given credit for that drop from Walley. Awesome. Agree he should have caught it. Hate drops. But all you mouth breathers ready to run back all the dropped TDs Will has thrown? I mean off the top of my head I can think of several huge drops in massive spots against the name teams of the SEC.

I just would like to win. But you Wright stans are just as annoying as the Will defenders.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Mouth breathers also forgot that we were playing Western Michigan. I think that might be the team Stifler was coaching in American Wedding.

And funny thing is they had 3 QBs better than any on our roster. And they act like playing Wright matters in the least.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Is how Wright is being given credit for that drop from Walley. Awesome. Agree he should have caught it. Hate drops. But all you mouth breathers ready to run back all the dropped TDs Will has thrown? I mean off the top of my head I can think of several huge drops in massive spots against the name teams of the SEC.

I just would like to win. But you Wright stans are just as annoying as the Will defenders.
It’s incredible that Rogers gets a pass the past 4 years for airmailing balls out of bounds, consistently throwing behind guys, panicking when there is no pressure because he is playing Bama, etc. It doesn’t work, God forbid we try something different.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
It’s incredible that Rogers gets a pass the past 4 years for airmailing balls out of bounds, consistently throwing behind guys, panicking when there is no pressure because he is playing Bama, etc. It doesn’t work, God forbid we try something different.
I guess I’m a member of the “Will Rogers Cult” because I just don’t understand the relentless negativity he generates from some people. He is objectively one of our best quarterbacks ever, at least top 5. We won 9 games and the Egg Bowl with him at QB last year. He gets more hate from some people than any other QB I can ever remember. I just think he’s a pretty good QB who doesn’t deserve to get constantly crapped on by a segment of the fan base. I guess that makes me a member of the “cult.”

ETA: What QB have we ever had in the last 20 years who has played well against Alabama? If that is your standard, then we’ve hardly ever had a good quarterback Even Dak played like crap against them in 2014 when we were #1. The last MSU quarterback to beat Alabama was Wesley Carroll.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I mean, was Will not given "credit" for the TD drops in the egg bowl (I think it was the 2020 one? Or was it 21?). Lots of people pointed out then that it wasn't Will's fault, just like they're pointing out that it's not Wright's fault Wally dropped that pass.

It was the first significant playing time people have seen of Wright, and all in all he did what he was supposed to do on that drive. Certainly he was lucky that the first horrendous pass didn't result in a 3 and out (I've got to think that was just the ball slipping out of his hand, maybe because he was excited/nervous, maybe it was just one of those things; surely he didn't make it this far with that being a normal throw of his), but ultimately, he did what was needed to score a touchdown. That's all you can ask of him and people were pointing that out.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I guess I’m a member of the “Will Rogers Cult” because I just don’t understand the relentless negativity he generates from some people. He is objectively one of our best quarterbacks ever, at least top 5. We won 9 games and the Egg Bowl with him at QB last year. He gets more hate from some people than any other QB I can ever remember. I just think he’s a pretty good QB who doesn’t deserve to get constantly crapped on by a segment of the fan base. I guess that makes me a member of the “cult.”

ETA: What QB have we ever had in the last 20 years who has played well against Alabama? If that is your standard, then we’ve hardly ever had a good quarterback Even Dak played like crap against them in 2014 when we were #1. The last MSU quarterback to beat Alabama was Wesley Carroll.
And that’s where I will disagree with you 100%. In this CENTURY, we have had Fant, Omar, Tyson Lee, Relf, Dak, Fitz, Schrader, the guy Moorhead brought in from Penn state that Schrader beat out, and Tyler Russell. I’d take all 9 of those over Rogers in our current offense. I’d take Fant, Lee, Dak, and Russell over Rogers in the air raid. He was a QB of necessity (we literally had no one else) and convenience (Brandon high). Rogers did and does nothing at even an AVERAGE SEC level other than play 4 years and throw a million passes. Ask other SEC coaches what they think about him, specifically D coordinators.

Your username checks out. Flowood=Rogers cult.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

It is not Will that the hostility is directed at. It is anyone that is starting at QB for Mississippi State! After years of listening to our fans clamoring for our back ups I realized that we have lot of low football IQ fans. If Will is hurt and Wright becomes the starter I fully expect them to start screaming for Parson. For some reason they think the QB is the only player responsible for wins and losses.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
And that’s where I will disagree with you 100%. In this CENTURY, we have had Fant, Omar, Tyson Lee, Relf, Dak, Fitz, Schrader, the guy Moorhead brought in from Penn state that Schrader beat out, and Tyler Russell. I’d take all 9 of those over Rogers in our current offense. I’d take Fant, Lee, Dak, and Russell over Rogers in the air raid. He was a QB of necessity (we literally had no one else) and convenience (Brandon high). Rogers did and does nothing at even an AVERAGE SEC level other than play 4 years and throw a million passes. Ask other SEC coaches what they think about him, specifically D coordinators.

I was with you until you took Fant over Rogers in the Air Raid. Tyson Lee, too. Rogers is very good in an offense that requires the QB to step back and make a quick throw. I would possibly take Rogers over Dak in the Air Raid, except that Dak can make things happen when the pocket breaks down.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Will cult is strong. Y’all give Heaven’s Gate a run for being the creepiest mofos on the planet.
Well if a group of "fans" show up with W I L L painted on their bellies at least we'll have a good idea what their user names are **

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
I, too, am a member of the Cult of Will. That being said, ‘next man up’, a Leach mantra. I hope that you ‘haters’ have your lace boxer, starched and ironed, so you can cheer for ‘anyone but Will’ in the next game.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Neither QB would start for any SEC team except maybe Vandy or MSU.
Will would be a star at Georgia or Alabama where he could take his time to go through progressions and find open 5 star receivers. Of course, he wasn't a 4 or 5 star QB so there was never a chance that he would play at either. I find all this banter hilarious when the real problem with our team is defense related. We should have beaten WMU 41 - 7. Wide open receivers over the middle against them was a travesty.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Damn dude. I’m no Will Rogers homer, but you might be on drugs.

Kevin Fant had a career passer rating of 110, a career 53.2% completion rate, and threw 10 more picks than TD’s in his career. Awful….and he couldn’t run either.

Omarr - 108.9 career rating, career 53% completion rate, career 17 TD’s / 15 INT’s. Awful.

Tyson Lee - 110.2 career rating, career 58% completion rate, 11 / 19 TD-INT. Awful.

Relf and Fitz were system QB’s that never came close to Rogers as passers.

Just gonna stop there.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Damn dude. I’m no Will Rogers homer, but you might be on drugs.

Kevin Fant had a career passer rating of 110, a career 53.2% completion rate, and threw 10 more picks than TD’s in his career. Awful….and he couldn’t run either.

Omarr - 108.9 career rating, career 53% completion rate, career 17 TD’s / 15 INT’s. Awful.

Tyson Lee - 110.2 career rating, career 58% completion rate, 11 / 19 TD-INT. Awful.

Relf and Fitz were system QB’s that never came close to Rogers as passers.

Just gonna stop there.
That’s what is so amazing about the whole thing. We have a QB that can consistently complete passes that 100% of any other starting SEC QB over the past 3 years can complete (Except for Vandy and Wright) and the Cult refuses to consider using a different QB when the system QB loses his system. Every single QB I listed was more physically talented than Rogers. Every single one of them. Leach’s system made the man a SEC QB, not the man. And that’s coaching that Leach should get credit for.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
That’s what is so amazing about the whole thing. We have a QB that can consistently complete passes that 100% of any other starting SEC QB over the past 3 years can complete (Except for Vandy and Wright) and the Cult refuses to consider using a different QB when the system QB loses his system. Every single QB I listed was more physically talented than Rogers. Every single one of them. Leach’s system made the man a SEC QB, not the man. And that’s coaching that Leach should get credit for.
Except the “system QB” has the exact same passing metrics and efficiency in this brand new system as he did last year in “his” system. Saying Rogers sucks in the new system because its not the Air Raid is this lie people think will somehow become true if they keep repeating it. 2023 passer rating is currently equal to the 2002 passer rating. He’s the same QB.

And what are you basing your “physical talent” assessment on? By far the most important physical talent for a QB is accuracy throwing the football, and you named at least 4-5 guys that were not accurate….at all.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009

Tulu, Ducking, RaRa, Williams, Walley et al have put on Their own personal clinic of dropped TD dimes that Rodgers has tossed.

And you have an entire coaching staffing staring down the barrel of a gun (and rightfully so) that would squash Rodgers like a bug if they thought it would save their job. $ trumps everything, and some think some weird loyalty to Rodgers is going to trump the coaches loyalty
to their families.

Wright could play anywhere in the country he wants. Just not at QB. That’s why he ended up Vandy and now the Nebraska of the south.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
So you hate the air raid. I got it now. You don’t like Will because he took advantage of a system. That’s fine dude. Like what you like. Hate what you hate. But Kevin Fant can’t hold Will’s jock. Hate it for him. But that’s a fact. However, Tyler Russell
Is probably a better version of Will in the Air Raid.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
So you hate the air raid. I got it now. You don’t like Will because he took advantage of a system. That’s fine dude. Like what you like. Hate what you hate. But Kevin Fant can’t hold Will’s jock. Hate it for him. But that’s a fact. However, Tyler Russell
Is probably a better version of Will in the Air Raid.
Russell would have been unbelievable in the Air Raid. He wasn’t half bad as he was, even though he didn’t fit at all what Mullen wanted to do offensively.

Aug 22, 2012
What tickles the sheet out of me about all these threads is how many times I’ve seen “Will couldn’t start anywhere in the SEC except maybe State and Vandy”. How ironic is it that these same people want to see a qb that has been at school at both and couldn’t win the starting job outright at either. The football IQ around here is getting worse by the day

patdog

May 28, 2007
Will would be a star at Georgia or Alabama where he could take his time to go through progressions and find open 5 star receivers. Of course, he wasn't a 4 or 5 star QB so there was never a chance that he would play at either. I find all this banter hilarious when the real problem with our team is defense related. We should have beaten WMU 41 - 7. Wide open receivers over the middle against them was a travesty.
Will would never take a meaningful snap at Georgia or Alabama. There's a reason they didn't recruit him.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022

Did the thought occur to you that maybe extra level of analysis is being offered to Wright as we’ve seen him throw 11 passes in maroon and white? And that after 1,800 passes by Rogers that we know what he can and can’t do without saying “but what about the drops!!”

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Could Rogers win at UGA? Yeah sure, most college QBs can look good behind an elite OL and 5 star playmakers. But he has shown nothing in his time at State that would indicate he would be a star. Game manager at best, again, like plenty of other average QBs could be at UGA.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Will would never take a meaningful snap at Georgia or Alabama. There's a reason they didn't recruit him.
We will never know because like I said they would not recruit a 3 star QB. Somebody posted his completions in areas of the field. He is very accurate to the middle and left side. It is harder for a right handed QB to throw to the right. They have to turn their body to that side. He is also very good at going through his progressions given time which he would have at Georgia.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I am on record that when it comes time for a statue, forget Dak and instead have one of the almost catch by Walley. I’m just glad i saw it with my own eyes.

• Haha
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Could Rogers win at UGA? Yeah sure, most college QBs can look good behind an elite OL and 5 star playmakers. But he has shown nothing in his time at State that would indicate he would be a star. Game manager at best, again, like plenty of other average QBs could be at UGA.
I don't know. I think Rogers would look like Tua most games behind a typical UGA OL. Hard to say what he'd look like the few games a year that they'd play against good DL talent, but I think he's shown that with time and a lack of pressure, he's deadly accurate. If he also felt comfortable throwing jump balls to deep receivers knowing they'd win a lot of them and rarely let the other team intercept it, I think he would look like a noticeable improvement over Stetson Bennett.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
What tickles the sheet out of me about all these threads is how many times I’ve seen “Will couldn’t start anywhere in the SEC except maybe State and Vandy”. How ironic is it that these same people want to see a qb that has been at school at both and couldn’t win the starting job outright at either. The football IQ around here is getting worse by the day
We know Will can’t do it. I don’t think Wright can either but we SHOULD be able to keep our offense on the field longer with him.
I don't know. I think Rogers would look like Tua most games behind a typical UGA OL. Hard to say what he'd look like the few games a year that they'd play against good DL talent, but I think he's shown that with time and a lack of pressure, he's deadly accurate. If he also felt comfortable throwing jump balls to deep receivers knowing they'd win a lot of them and rarely let the other team intercept it, I think he would look like a noticeable improvement over Stetson Bennett.
So Will Rogers is better than Stetson Bennett? Absolutely lost mind. You do realize Stetson could use his legs AND still has a better arm than Will. He’s also an NFL QB which Will Rogers is nowhere close to being.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
So Will Rogers is better than Stetson Bennett? Absolutely lost mind. You do realize Stetson could use his legs AND still has a better arm than Will. He’s also an NFL QB which Will Rogers is nowhere close to being.
Somebody didn't make a 25 on the English portion of the ACT.

Not the clearest post I've ever made, but I think the ole mythical score of 25 would have let you realize that saying somebody would look like an improvement in the games where they aren't playing against good DL talent is not the same as saying somebody is better.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022

Not the clearest post I've ever made, but I think the ole mythical score of 25 would have let you realize that saying somebody would look like an improvement in the games where they aren't playing against good DL talent is not the same as saying somebody is better.
So what is your overall point even? That Rogers would be great in a situation where he had an elite OL but wasn’t playing vs a great DL?

That kind of description honestly makes him look worse, not better. If it takes that much of a theoretical leap for him to be great, that should tell you something.

Jack Klompus.sixpack

Mar 6, 2021
What tickles the sheet out of me about all these threads is how many times I’ve seen “Will couldn’t start anywhere in the SEC except maybe State and Vandy”. How ironic is it that these same people want to see a qb that has been at school at both and couldn’t win the starting job outright at either. The football IQ around here is gettin

Jack Klompus.sixpack

Mar 6, 2021
Exactly

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
You do realize that it’s possible Rogers is a better overall QB than Wright, but given our new scheme and OL issues that Wright could be more effective for us? Both can be true, it’s not difficult to understand.

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

It really wasn’t a great pass. He had to stretch and basically left the ground to touch it.

Rogers had a drop that was worse than that.

wasn’t a terrible pass but not great.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Mouth breathers ? Really ? The very thought of simply trying another QB is driving some of yall out of your minds. Do you realize that no one will be in favor of continuing to play Wright if he can't do the job ? I just don't get the fear of at least giving him a try.
No one is upset about trying another qb.
We just think some of you are idiotic for thinking the backup is always gonna save the day.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016

“I think he would look like a noticeable improvement over Stetson Bennett.” No other way to take that. He would never look better than Stetson Bennett in any situation, ever. There is literally nothing that Stetson (or Tua since you tossed it out there) does not do better than Rogers.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018

Another example of someone who is willing to look like an idiot to draw attention .

Reactions: paindonthurt
Aug 22, 2012
You do realize that it’s possible Rogers is a better overall QB than Wright, but given our new scheme and OL issues that Wright could be more effective for us? Both can be true, it’s not difficult to understand.
Yes I do Sherlock. I also realize Wright hasn’t shown enough in either offense to warrant taking the job. Much less benching the 3rd all time SEC passer. I will take Will and his slump for the moment. If he did bench him, then all you MIT grads would crucify him for benching the greatest PASSER in MSU history. But back to my original post…..I was pointing out the irony…..and that’s not difficult to understand either.

Reactions: paindonthurt

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
“I think he would look like a noticeable improvement over Stetson Bennett.” No other way to take that. He would never look better than Stetson Bennett in any situation, ever. There is literally nothing that Stetson (or Tua since you tossed it out there) does not do better than Rogers.
I mean, no other way for you to take that.

But somebody that made a 25 on the English part of the act might think that the references to “most games” and “with time and a lack of pressure” combined with “Hard to say what he'd look like the few games a year that they'd play against good DL talent” and “look like” instead of “is” all had meaning that should influence how you interpret that sentence.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login