Only the big physical blue bloods can win football natties…

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I told y’all that Penix and lesser talent would not hold up two weeks in a row. And even blue blood Michigan had to get lucky with an elite coach.

Ole Miss best check their hope at the door next season, even if they make the playoff. I stump for niche offenses all the time but we’d have no chance in 2 games of the playoff even in like Leach’s 8th year, if he’d lived.

Facts.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I told y’all that Penix and lesser talent would not hold up two weeks in a row. And even blue blood Michigan had to get lucky with an elite coach.

Ole Miss best check their hope at the door next season, even if they make the playoff. I stump for niche offenses all the time but we’d have no chance in 2 games of the playoff even in like Leach’s 8th year, if he’d lived.

Facts.
I don't think anyone, including OM coaches and realistic fans expect a natty. They do expect to get in the playoff though.

Should be a fun season as a whole (not necessarily for MSU fans though).

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't think anyone, including OM coaches and realistic fans expect a natty. They do expect to get in the playoff though.

Should be a fun season as a whole (not necessarily for MSU fans though).
That’s the great thing about the new playoff, it at least gives hope. Get in once in a while, and you’ve ’made it’.

The same teams will continue to win it.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I could pick 10 Blue Bloods vs. “The Field” and win more National Championships over the next 20 - 30 years. Give me:

Alabama
LSU
Ohio State
USC
Oklahoma
Georgia
Clemson
Michigan
Texas
Mississippi State

I bet I win 75% of the seasons. Just how it is. Always will be.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Facts.

What you actually predicted is below. You predicted Washington would lose to Texas. Then you predicted Michigan would flatten Washington. Then you predicted Penix will do what he does and Washington would win.
Toag- I am on record saying I thought Texas would shut them down, and they didn't.

I tend to think this turns out like TCU last year - they brought the fight for one week, but when they had to do it twice, they got flattened.

Or Penix does what he does yet again.

Those are the actual facts.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
That’s the great thing about the new playoff, it at least gives hope. Get in once in a while, and you’ve ’made it’.

The same teams will continue to win it.
I mean it’s the equivalent of getting into March Madness. Yeah there’s only a handful maybe that can win it but to say you’re in the playoff means something.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I love when we say blue blood what we really mean is teams that are dominant up front. What do all those “blue bloods” have in common? Root hog or die!!!! The “blue blood” that is best up front is the one that wins most years. Where did UW get beat up tonight? Hog mollies.
You need skill too, or else you are Iowa. Or Kentucky.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It's going to be harder than you think to make the playoff. They will be more selective as to whom is in the top 12. They will look for any reason like scheduling to get the schools they want into the playoff. They will not leave schools like Ohio State, Penn State GA, Alabama, LSU, to get Ole Miss in. Their schedule next season will be their downfall. It is the easiest in the SEC. The Committee will do all they can to get the traditional powerhouses in the bottom seven.

Reactions: Ghostman and Dawgg

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's going to be harder than you think to make the playoff. They will be more selective as to whom is in the top 12. They will look for any reason like scheduling to get the schools they want into the playoff. They will not leave schools like Ohio State, Penn State GA, Alabama, LSU, to get Ole Miss in. Their schedule next season will be their downfall. It is the easiest in the SEC. The Committee will do all they can to get the traditional powerhouses in the bottom seven.
I doubt there's going to be more than 4-5 SEC schools in the playoffs most seasons. So, basically have to finish 4th in a 16-team SEC to make the playoffs. It'll maybe be a once every 10-20 years occurrence for us.

Reactions: GloryDawg

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I doubt there's going to be more than 4-5 SEC schools in the playoffs most seasons. So, basically have to finish 4th in a 16-team SEC to make the playoffs. It'll maybe be a once every 10-20 years occurrence for us.
5 conference champions will be in (SEC, B10, B12, ACC + highest G5). G5 will likely be ranked below the Top 12 and its even possible one of the other conference champions is below the Top 12. So to get in among the 7 at large teams you will need to be in the CFP final Top 11, maybe even the Top 10. PAC 12 going away really helped teams (like OM) that will almost have to get in via an at large berth.

patdog

May 28, 2007
5 conference champions will be in (SEC, B10, B12, ACC + highest G5). G5 will likely be ranked below the Top 12 and its even possible one of the other conference champions is below the Top 12. So to get in among the 7 at large teams you will need to be in the CFP final Top 11, maybe even the Top 10. PAC 12 going away really helped teams (like OM) that will almost have to get in via an at large berth.
For next season, as it stands now, there are still 6 conference champion automatic bids. Should be a given you'd reduce that to 5, but I don't believe that has happened as of now.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
They really need to do away with conference tie-ins. There's nothing inherent about conference affiliation that says if you are the best of this bunch, you get in, especially for the top 4 spots with a bye.

BUT....if they expanded to 16, I could live with it. Wouldn't even mind giving the G5 4 auto spots.

All that said, I'm starting to see the light on the FBS split. I think that's happening with 2 divisions with roughly 65 teams or so. 12 is 18% of that and is pretty close to the other NCAA playoff participants, in all divisions.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Back when I was doing medical sales about 12 years ago, i was in a case with a surgeon who was a big time ole miss fan/booster....we always talked football during procedures....He said something to me i will never forget....."Neither Ole Miss nor MSU will ever win a national championship in football. Winning at football is all about money, and neither of them will ever have enough."

Ive thought about that a good bit over the years, but especially now with NIL. One could argue that statement doesn't hold any weight anymore, or one could say it holds more weight now more than ever.

Going to the football play off in the future is going to be like making the CWS in baseball IMO.....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I mean it’s the equivalent of getting into March Madness. Yeah there’s only a handful maybe that can win it but to say you’re in the playoff means something.
Back when I was doing medical sales about 12 years ago, i was in a case with a surgeon who was a big time ole miss fan/booster....we always talked football during procedures....He said something to me i will never forget....."Neither Ole Miss nor MSU will ever win a national championship in football. Winning at football is all about money, and neither of them will ever have enough."

Ive thought about that a good bit over the years, but especially now with NIL. One could argue that statement doesn't hold any weight anymore, or one could say it holds more weight now more than ever.
I was actually surprised a few years ago when a buddy of mine pointed out that the NCAA basketball title was just as exclusive as the football title, or very close. Even with the bigger tournament. Of course, the difference is that a cinderella had gotten close a few times, but never pulled it off, so it 'feels' less exclusive (plus 64 are included from the beginning). Maybe we will get that feel in football now, and sort of already have with TCU and Washington making runs, and then Cincinnati actually getting in the year before that.

Going forward, I do think NIL and the portal, and the effect it has on a smaller basketball roster, will open up the title to more teams in that sport.

Going to the football play off in the future is going to be like making the CWS in baseball IMO.....
Do you mean like the distinction? I would agree with that. Basically the year is a success if get there.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
He said something to me i will never forget....."Neither Ole Miss nor MSU will ever win a national championship in football. Winning at football is all about money, and neither of them will ever have enough."
Is anyone arguing that due to NIL you now dont need money as a school/program to win an NC in football? I definitely havent heard that argument made, or if I have, it was by a some lone voice that was ignored as the ramblings of a mad man.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Is anyone arguing that due to NIL you now dont need money as a school/program to win an NC in football? I definitely havent heard that argument made, or if I have, it was by a some lone voice that was ignored as the ramblings of a mad man.
That's not the point.

Football takes a certain equation of money, access to players, and fanbase size to create the culture necessary to win national championships. Neither Mississippi State nor Ole Miss have it, so it doesn't really matter if we go all in on football, because we can't eclipse the amount needed. Auburn are Clemson are good examples of the floor, and both have sizable differences in fanbase size and proximity to players. Not sure on money because it seems that Ole Miss has tried hard to neutralize that.

We COULD theoretically have this basketball, although I doubt our fanbase would truly commit to the necessary levels. This means showing up in the preseason, and coming to games even if we aren't an elite team.

We have proven that we have it in baseball.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
That's not the point.

Football takes a certain equation of money, access to players, and fanbase size to create the culture necessary to win national championships. Neither Mississippi State nor Ole Miss have it, so it doesn't really matter if we go all in on football, because we can't eclipse the amount needed.
Um...thats exactly my point. I was saying that I dont think anyone is arguing how much money a program has no longer matters when it comes to winning a football championship. That was a claim I responded to. You agree with me.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I could pick 10 Blue Bloods vs. “The Field” and win more National Championships over the next 20 - 30 years. Give me:

Alabama
LSU
Ohio State
USC
Oklahoma
Georgia
Clemson
Michigan
Texas
Mississippi State

I bet I win 75% of the seasons. Just how it is. Always will be.
^^^THIS^^^^

Very few larger truths have ever been spoken

Reactions: 57stratdawg

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
You agree with me.

season 3 group GIF

sheila broflovski singing GIF by South Park

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
That's not the point.

Football takes a certain equation of money, access to players, and fanbase size to create the culture necessary to win national championships. Neither Mississippi State nor Ole Miss have it, so it doesn't really matter if we go all in on football, because we can't eclipse the amount needed. Auburn are Clemson are good examples of the floor, and both have sizable differences in fanbase size and proximity to players. Not sure on money because it seems that Ole Miss has tried hard to neutralize that.

We COULD theoretically have this basketball, although I doubt our fanbase would truly commit to the necessary levels. This means showing up in the preseason, and coming to games even if we aren't an elite team.

We have proven that we have it in baseball.
I would replace access to players with alumni/fan base affluence. All the real contenders have access to players these days and with NIL asking Joe Schmo to pay for your 5 star TE goes over a little better when you have the numbers....size of alumni/fan base and above average incomes.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Lost in this stereotypical goat thread:

1704839103775.png

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Attachments

• 1704838842388.png
    1704838842388.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 2
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login