Opening weekend football watching.....

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Starting to get fired up. The best holiday of the year is upcoming (Labor Day) and while I used to plan out my whole weekend around football, now I do the previous weekend as well. And why not? Everybody still has hope through September for the most part.

Friday, August 26th: Go watch your local high school game, because you're itching for some football.
Saturday, August 27th: Go watch your kid play soccer early on; 11:30 am - Nebraska vs. Northwestern; get stuff done in the afternoon; Vanderbilt vs. Hawaii at 9:30 as you fall asleep.

Thursday, September 1: Go eat wings at a sportsbar and watch a combination of Tennessee vs. Ball State, Penn State vs. Purdue, and Louisiana Tech vs. Missouri
Friday, September 2: Hit some high school football, or any of the college games, or go eat a fat meal somewhere just because it's Labor Day weekend.
Saturday, September 3: Watch Gameday or do the kid sport thing, drive to Starkville and hit tailgate during the 11:30 slog (Texas A&M is in there); Arkansas vs. Cincinnati and Georgia vs. Oregon and Ole Miss vs. Troy, then watch our game, if not, hit Florida vs. Utah during our commercials. Maybe even Freesus vs. SMTTT.
Sunday, September 4: Hit the pool and then you get LSU vs. Free Shoes that night.
Monday, September 5: Get your yard work done then catch Clemson vs. Georgia Tech later on.

Tuesday - start getting fired up for Week 2.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Backyard Brawl (West Virginia vs Pitt) is on that opening Thursday night, too. Rivals that haven’t played each other in over a decade. Probably will be the best game of the night.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Backyard Brawl (West Virginia vs Pitt) is on that opening Thursday night, too. Rivals that haven’t played each other in over a decade. Probably will be the best game of the night.
I am hoping they'll defect back to the ACC eventually, and start playing again. These types of things have to come back for college football to survive in the middle class.

Also hope Oklahoma continues to play Oklahoma State.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I like this whole post except for a part at the beginning. Sir, the best holiday of the year is Thanksgiving and it’s not even close. You get all of the trappings of Christmas without any of the ********. It’s a holiday that revolves around cooking and eating with family, followed by the best nap of the year, followed by more eating and watching football.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Starting to get fired up. The best holiday of the year is upcoming (Labor Day) and while I used to plan out my whole weekend around football, now I do the previous weekend as well. And why not? Everybody still has hope through September for the most part.

Friday, August 26th: Go watch your local high school game, because you're itching for some football.
Saturday, August 27th: Go watch your kid play soccer early on; 11:30 am - Nebraska vs. Northwestern; get stuff done in the afternoon; Vanderbilt vs. Hawaii at 9:30 as you fall asleep.

Thursday, September 1: Go eat wings at a sportsbar and watch a combination of Tennessee vs. Ball State, Penn State vs. Purdue, and Louisiana Tech vs. Missouri
Friday, September 2: Hit some high school football, or any of the college games, or go eat a fat meal somewhere just because it's Labor Day weekend.
Saturday, September 3: Watch Gameday or do the kid sport thing, drive to Starkville and hit tailgate during the 11:30 slog (Texas A&M is in there); Arkansas vs. Cincinnati and Georgia vs. Oregon and Ole Miss vs. Troy, then watch our game, if not, hit Florida vs. Utah during our commercials. Maybe even Freesus vs. SMTTT.
Sunday, September 4: Hit the pool and then you get LSU vs. Free Shoes that night.
Monday, September 5: Get your yard work done then catch Clemson vs. Georgia Tech later on.

Tuesday - start getting fired up for Week 2.
I'll do the 26th, but will be in Canada (or travelling to it) on the two Saturdays. Hopefully the first one I can catch a little of it in an airport bar on a long US airport layover. I'll only REALLY be in Canada on the real opening Saturday, hopefully I can catch our game on something. I do have a good VPN.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I like this whole post except for a part at the beginning. Sir, the best holiday of the year is Thanksgiving and it’s not even close. You get all of the trappings of Christmas without any of the ********. It’s a holiday that revolves around cooking and eating with family, followed by the best nap of the year, followed by more eating and watching football.
ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS!!!!!!! I've been saying this for YEARS.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Think it's either going to involve dove hunting and watching games and smoking meats or going to gulf shores watching games and eating. Not sure yet but coming in hot

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
This man understands it - Absolutely the best Holiday of the year!

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The problem with Thanksgiving is that regular season college football is over at that point. Sure, you have championship games and playoffs and individual games and such, but there's nothing more glorious than a fall college football Saturday during the regular season.

I would not be surprised if that is the next thing the idiot brass tries to ruin.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've never been a fan of opening weekend football. Its typically just a bunch of blowouts followed by broadcasters or coaches talking about how a team improves more between game 1 and 2 than any other time of the year.

I'd rather sit in a field and shoot doves, go drink some beer sodas and then stuff the dove breasts with jalapeno/cream cheese, wrap in bacon and throw on the grill. I might turn a game on for background noise but definitely not the best holiday of the year because of football.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I've never been a fan of opening weekend football. Its typically just a bunch of blowouts followed by broadcasters or coaches talking about how a team improves more between game 1 and 2 than any other time of the year.

I'd rather sit in a field and shoot doves, go drink some beer sodas and then stuff the dove breasts with jalapeno/cream cheese, wrap in bacon and throw on the grill. I might turn a game on for background noise but definitely not the best holiday of the year because of football.
Every year, afterwards, I say the same, but that's only because it's over with. The next summer, the hype is back.

And you also have boiled peanuts.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016

What sort of person can’t dove hunt, listen to games and drink beer all at the same time?

Goat is right. Best holiday of the year.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I'd usually get 2 out of 3. The dove hunting was optional even when I was at a hunt. **

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
I'd usually get 2 out of 3. The dove hunting was optional even when I was at a hunt. **
I can get behind that. Saturday afternoon I have a gun and shells. Put 3 in and usually do not reload.
Truthfully that goes for Sunday and Monday morning and afternoon as well.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login