Opinions on 4 cities

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
My son is starting a post Doc and is having to make a decision between
1) Pittsburg, Pa
2) Boston, Ma
3) Bethesda, Md
4) Dallas, Tx

what are the pros/cons if you’ve lived at any of these places?

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I have family in Boston. They talk a lot about the cost of living being really high. They moved there about two years ago from Aurora, CO. TIFWIW.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
I have family in Boston. They talk a lot about the cost of living being really high. They moved there about two years ago from Aurora, CO. TIFWIW.
I’ve been looking at COL and unfortunately all these places seem to be high COL areas.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
I dont see a cheap place on the list, nor an absolutely terrible location. What is best opportunity for your son professionally should drive the decision alone, location seems to be ok enough in all 4 places.

Reactions: Pookieray

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Dallas with Pittsburg 2nd. Cost of living in the NE is ridiculous and a bunch of as sholes up there. If he's staying up NE way, Pittsburg is a cool place.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
So without getting too political, post-Covid I tend to look at these sorts of questions and think, under similar circumstances where would I be least likely to have my freedoms restricted. Based on that and with the cities you listed my choice would be obvious.
He’s in NE now and was during Covid and that never seemed to be problematic for him.

Reactions: Bulldog45

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Go Big D. Very strong medical system in the DFW area (not that there isn't in those other cities), and as others have said, the cost of living beats the crap out of the other three.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I dont see a cheap place on the list, nor an absolutely terrible location. What is best opportunity for your son professionally should drive the decision alone, location seems to be ok enough in all 4 places.
This is the way, unless it's pretty clear the post-doc opportunity will turn into a career. If it's a 2-3 year program or whatever, I imagine the work will be in-tents and the city won't matter a great deal.

Reactions: msstatelp1

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
You’re absolutely correct on COL in all the places. He’s weighing his options and each place can get him to where he wants to be in the future. He’s selected each one of these places based on who it is he’ll be working with, so for him it’s more of a what lab and what city he likes best.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm just the opposite, Dallas would be my distant 4th due to weather. Plus it's just big for no reason.
Same. Dallas is a haven for folks who love super suburbia and like to spend their money driving in SUVs and and going out to eat at crappy restaurants. All the kids turn out like Dude Perfect without the money. Just a big flat concrete jungle.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
1) Pittsburg, Pa
2) Boston, Ma
3) Bethesda, Md
4) Dallas, Tx

Good friends of mine have a married daughter who is an executive with a defense contractor. 4 kids under 12. Recently moved to Pittsburgh. Loves it.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Same. Dallas is a haven for folks who love super suburbia and like to spend their money driving in SUVs and and going out to eat at crappy restaurants. All the kids turn out like Dude Perfect without the money. Just a big flat concrete jungle.
The upside of Dallas would be, likely closer to family (assuming in/near Miss since this is a State message board) and can hop on an airplane and be anywhere directly/quickly.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
He enjoys outdoor activities, snow skiing, hike in mountains and such. He knows the 3 in NE will be more readily accessible for those things.

Reactions: ll Martain ll

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Pittsburgh is really nice. I would at least visit it before making a decision. It’s really a hidden gem.

I actually think Dallas might have the worst weather out of these options. It is miserably hot for 1/3 of the year now.

If you’re not buying a house, the cost of living between all these cities really isn’t too far apart. Chipotle and Starbucks in a suburb of Boston isn’t much different than Dallas.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh is really nice. I would at least visit it before making a decision. It’s really a hidden gem.

I actually think Dallas might have the worst weather out of these options. It is miserably hot for 1/3 of the year now.

If you’re not buying a house, the cost of living between all these cities really isn’t too far apart. Chipotle and Starbucks in a suburb of Boston isn’t much different than Dallas.
He’s visited every place , well except Dallas but he’s flying in there as we speak.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I was just up there a few weeks ago and the cost of everything was quite shocking to me. I paid $29 for a sandwich and a coke. But if you can swing it, I was surprised how nice it was .

Reactions: STATEgrad04

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
I’ve known a couple of folks to live in Pittsburgh. They spoke highly of it. Its geographic location isn’t bad either. Driving distance to several places just west of there and east. A major player would be your son’s interests. If he’s in the NE area already, he might prefer the MA or MD options.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I'm pleasantly surprised by the Pittsburg love on here. I know nothing about it, but always assumed it was it was Detroit but with the loss of steel jobs driving the crappy rather than the loss of auto jobs. I may have to visit now.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Good friends of mine have a married daughter who is an executive with a defense contractor. 4 kids under 12. Recently moved to Pittsburgh. Loves it.
He just graduated from UVA and we went for his defense. He was interviewing at Pitt a week later so we went on a vacation while there and then dropped him off in Pitt for his meeting and we were impressed with the city for sure! Was very nice, indeed.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
I’ve known a couple of folks to live in Pittsburgh. They spoke highly of it. Its geographic location isn’t bad either. Driving distance to several places just west of there and east. A major player would be your son’s interests. If he’s in the NE area already, he might prefer the MA or MD options.
He’s in Charlottesville, Va and has been for 5 years. We’ve gone up several times and we really enjoyed ourselves in that area as he has too!

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
I'm pleasantly surprised by the Pittsburg love on here. I know nothing about it, but always assumed it was it was Detroit but with the loss of steel jobs driving the crappy rather than the loss of auto jobs. I may have to visit now.
I thought the same but googled it a found out they have been in a huge transition over the last 15 or so years to go from “blue collar” to “white collar” and it was voted in top 5 most livable cities for many of those years! Several Fortune 500 companies have moved there .

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
I was just up there a few weeks ago and the cost of everything was quite shocking to me. I paid $29 for a sandwich and a coke. But if you can swing it, I was surprised how nice it was .
We visited Philly while we were up that way a few weeks ago and paid $48 for 2 Philly cheese sammichs and 1 fry! It’s was crazy expensive!

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
I thought the same but googled it a found out they have been in a huge transition over the last 15 or so years to go from “blue collar” to “white collar” and it was voted in top 5 most livable cities for many of those years! Several Fortune 500 companies have moved there .
My old company was headquartered in Pittsburgh, so I got up there a few times. Cool looking city, and they have sunk a lot of $$ to upgrading parts of it. My big issue is that the weather really sucks most of the year; the "standard" look is gray and gloomy from October through April. (Nice summer weather, though.) Also, I have found that Pittsburgh really isn't all that welcoming to outsiders. I'm not saying people can't be friendly, but if you're not from there, you're in a different (and lower) class, regardless of how white collar you may be. Again, it's what I've seen being up there and with the folks I worked with from the area.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Apparently Charlottesville was also voted as one of the most livable cities a while back. There’s lots of historical places to see near his current location. Aside from that fact, it would seem like Pittsburgh is really the most similar place to where he currently lives without doing extensive research.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Dallas but live near where you work or you will despite it in its entirety

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
You're all ignoring the important issues.

Patriots and Red Sox
Steelers and Pirates
Cowboys and Mavericks
Orioles, Nationals, Commanders, and Ravens

He should definitely make this decision based on his fan preference.*

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
My old company was headquartered in Pittsburgh, so I got up there a few times. Cool looking city, and they have sunk a lot of $$ to upgrading parts of it. My big issue is that the weather really sucks most of the year; the "standard" look is gray and gloomy from October through April. (Nice summer weather, though.) Also, I have found that Pittsburgh really isn't all that welcoming to outsiders. I'm not saying people can't be friendly, but if you're not from there, you're in a different (and lower) class, regardless of how white collar you may be. Again, it's what I've seen being up there and with the folks I worked with from the area.
The outsider mentality is something I experienced while kids were in school in Missouri. On a side note, I experienced the same feeling when I attended the game at Bama in 2014. Also experienced it with several people I work with that have an affinity for Oxford, MS.

Reactions: dawgman42

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Dallas clear favorite in the clubhouse based on weather alone.
Dallas has some of the most horrendous weather on earth. I lived there for nearly 15 years and it is 17ing miserable. We experienced biblical level weather phenomena.

More than $150k worth of hail damage alone over 3 separate hail storms... Nearly lost a baby/wife because my wife was 40+ weeks pregnant and an ice storm killed power in the city for a week and the cold triggered early labor and we couldn't get to the hospital 4 miles away in less than 3 hours. Also was stuck on a flyover due to a crash when a tornado rolled by and missed us by less than a 1/4 mile. What the 17 do you do in that situation?

The heat is 17ing oppressive and ruins summer. The winters are grey and muddy and occasionally icy. The springs are down right deadly. Fall is the only reasonable season, but you can still hit 100° in October. And the occasional monsoon season might dump a flash flood in the fall.

17 Dallas weather.

Bethesda wins the weather battle. Loses because it's in 17ing DC.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’ve never lived in any of the 4 places. Have busted 3 of the 4 and spent a lot of time in the DC area (Bethesda).

I would personally go with Bethesda just because I like the DC area a lot. Very populated area along the east coast but still far enough south to not be a brutal winter.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
1) Pittsburg, Pa
2) Boston, Ma
3) Bethesda, Md
4) Dallas, Tx

Only 1 of those is in the south so......

The area around Bethesda actually has some beautiful places but cost of living is probably high there as well.

Now, I'm an old fart that has certain opinions about the world (weather, politics, culture, etc.) that are probably very different from your son so figure out what he's wants/needs in a place to live and start from there and ignore everything else I typed.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Boston is a fantastic city. Plenty of good restaurants and things to do, both in the city and within an hour or so drive. Unlike some others, I've never noticed any significant difference in the cost of restaurants to most other places I've been, including here in Jackson area.

You couldn't pay me to live in Dallas.

Never been to the other two, but I've heard Pittsburgh is much nicer city than you might think. Plus it's closest one other than Dallas.

Reactions: ll Martain ll
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login