Oregon breakdown

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Looking over Oregons Season:
18-13 (9-9)
Notable wins: KSU (OT); Stanford; UA (twice)
Notable losses: Nebraska (OT); Oakland; St. Mary's

Of their 9 conference wins: 2 came against Arizona ; 2 against Cal (6-12 in conference) and 2 against OSU (0-18 in conference play)
Split with UW, ASU and Stanford

Worst lost was to Stanford by 29

They seem to play a 3 guard 2 forward type of offense...not really a true center

Starting 5
Luenen F (6'9") 15ppg 9reb (35 min pg)
Catron F (6'6") 9ppg 6reb (26 min pg)
Hairston G (6'6") 16 ppg 5reb (31 min pg)
Taylor G (6'4") 13ppg (33 min pg)
Porter G (5'6") 14ppg 2assist (32 min pg)

Key reserves
Odia 6'6" (14 min pg)
Longmire 6'5" (born Pascagoula, MS) (11.9 min pg)
Brown 6'2" G (19 min pg)

</p>

AtlDawg.sixpack

Mar 15, 2008
Feels like one of those games where they shoot 70% from 3 point range with our hands in their faces.
See: Shan Foster.....Xavier....

We match up so well with Memphis, we would have a much better shot of an upset than Oregon would.

Jul 8, 2007
There tallest player shoots the most 3s and makes them at better than 50%. Thats going to be the tough matchup for us. Other than Ravern Johnson, I don't know if we have anyone tall enough and athletic enough to guard him. The flip side is that Rhodes should have a beast of a game and Varnado should be cleaning the glass all night. Another stat I noticed is that Oregon is 5-10 away from home. We are 10-7.

RaleighDawg.sixpack

Feb 24, 2008
remind anyone of Auburn? They play a smaller, athletic line-ups that like to shoot the three. The good thing is that we played well against Auburn twice this year; however, I do realize that they are better than Auburn (just similiar in make-up).

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
I'm definitely concerned about Rhodes man to man on Luenen. Rhodes isn't much of a defender away from the basket.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
Columbus Dawg said:
I'm definitely concerned about Rhodes man to man on Luenen. Rhodes isn't much of a defender away from the basket.

</p>I think we will Zone, you know it's Stans new favorite defense.
If they hit 35% from three land, we lose..

saltybulldog

Nov 15, 2005
I dont think this game comes down to their shooting...it comes down to ours. Hans, Stewart, and Gordon better remember how to score or we are in dip **** no matter what they do.

Keys to the game:

1. We need to shoot our avg. FG% or better.
2. Commit less than 15 TO's.
3. Out rebound them.

Do the above and its Memphis on Sunday.

usmsci

Feb 26, 2008
saltybulldog said:
I dont think this game comes down to their shooting...it comes down to ours. Hans, Stewart, and Gordon better remember how to score or we are in dip **** no matter what they do.

Keys to the game:

1. We need to shoot our avg. FG% or better.
2. Commit less than 15 TO's.
3. Out rebound them.

Do the above and its Memphis on Sunday.

can i chime in here as a golden eagle? i saw us play memphis at home and yes, it looked like we might beat them but in fact it wasnt as close. we had the best game that night that i saw in person shooting our free throws. that night though they made a lot more than their average which hurt us.

the key to memphis is simply managing the flow of the game - they like to score quick. most people would say that if thats the case their men will tire quickly. that is true but there is a problem. Memphis has about 10 guys that are equally as good as the starters that they can rotate in and out. The depth of the team is crazy. Tennessee did beat them but TN had one of the best games of their lives. Memphis played better teams and beat all of them.

If stans plans on not controlling the tempo of the game then he will have to be prepared to rotate some of your guys in and out and i don't follow state enough to know the depth of your squad. Lastly, you will have to plan on shooting at least 60% from FT line. This will put you in line for an upset if the tempo thing works out. just my 2 cents.</p>

usmsci

Feb 26, 2008
lostdawg6 said:
Show me teams that Memphis played that are better than TN

</p>

-- UConn, USC(southern Cal), Georgetown. You think TN will go deep. i have news for you. There is a chance and a good chance that either Butler or South Alabama will beat them. Both those teams have the guards and court pressure to match up with TN and give TN headaches. Its a shame those teams are both playing one another. maybe that was done on purpose.
</p>

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
but the only one of those teams that you can make a case for having been better than Tennessee over the course of this season is Georgetown. UConn was pretty average when Memphis played them.

Edited to add: And your opinion on who may get beat early isn't news; it's just your opinion. I don't think there's hardly any chance that Tennessee loses before the Sweet Sixteen. So, I guess that's some news for you?

usmsci

Feb 26, 2008
VegasDawg13 said:
but the only one of those teams that you can make a case for having been better than Tennessee over the course of this season is Georgetown. UConn was pretty average when Memphis played them.

Edited to add: And your opinion on who may get beat early isn't news; it's just your opinion. I don't think there's hardly any chance that Tennessee loses before the Sweet Sixteen. So, I guess that's some news for you?

of course it is my opinion since i am not a fortune teller and cant see in the future. i am just laying down the ground work for you to not be shocked if Butler or South Alabama doesnt take TN down early. sure its always possible for #2 to go all the way, especially the sweet 16, but watch and see how they fair against either of those 2 teams, especially Butler.
</p>

KDawg12

Mar 16, 2008
I am of the opinion that Butler is a better team than USC so if they do beat Tennessee it won't shock me that much but I don't think USC is better than Tennessee. Don't get me wrong Mayo is a great player but if he has an off night or a team can shut him down USC gets shut down. Memphis did beat Georgetown who is a great team but I think thats the only team that stands out as a great team that they've beaten.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login